The Student Room Group

What salary are you realistically expecting to earn?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jamalziane
What job did you do or are you an entrepreneur?

Also what experience and qualifications did you have beforehand.

Telesales manager. A few years telesales experience and no qualifications.
Reply 581
Original post by Wisefire
If I had the time/willing to hide every suggestive/identifiable detail about me on a P60/tax returns form, I'd publish it here,

It took me all of 15 seconds to resize the window and delete the NI number.

I'm sure a genius such as yourself could do it in a fraction of that time :smile:
Reply 582
Original post by Crazy92
I would say I'm relatively inspirational to someone from my background,

Wow. Did that really just come out of your mouth? :biggrin:
Economist-Around £50k
Train driver- In excess of 100k
Original post by Darkwarrior23
Train driver- In excess of 100k

Except no ToC or freight company pays that much
Original post by WelshBluebird
Except no ToC or freight company pays that much

I will make my own train company called Welsh Bluebird m8
Original post by Princepieman
Depends what I get into:

M&A Analysts make £50k+ as base and another £25-40k as bonus

Associate Consultant/Business Analysts at MBB is £40-45k plus a smaller bonus of circa ~£5k

Associate Product Managers at Google, FB. etc. earn about £60k plus £10-20k bonus

These are all graduate salaries by the way. Competition for these jobs is ridiculously high but there's no shame in trying.

If we're talking pipe dreams expectations then:

A Partner at a Venture Capital firm averages £600k plus £1.5mil+ carried interest
A high level exec at a tech firm gets £1-2mil

Interesting, what course at uni are you taking??
Original post by Rikudou_Sennin
Interesting, what course at uni are you taking??

Not at Uni yet, I'm applying for Comp Sci and Electronics at UCL, Bristol, Edinburgh, Newcastle and Heriot Watt (safe option)

Tbh, I'm making nearly £25k (£50k projected next year) through running 2 companies, trading shares/bonds and consulting work for companies as it stands, so these figures are pretty reasonable for post-Uni. I'm only going into S6 (year 13) - I'm in a good position to leverage this experience, alongside a strong network to try and land internships/spring weeks while at Uni eventually leading to a job.

I'm targeting jobs that don't necessarily require a specific degree; one in a numerate (or not if you go to Oxbridge) subject from a top school will suffice. It's mostly about presenting yourself in the best light possible and the only way to do that is to take initiative, find areas you are good at; expand on them. Don't forget to network!
Reply 589
Not at Uni yet, I'm applying for Comp Sci and Electronics at UCL, Bristol, Edinburgh, Newcastle and Heriot Watt (safe option)

Tbh, I'm making nearly £25k (£50k projected next year) through running 2 companies, trading shares/bonds and consulting work for companies as it stands, so these figures are pretty reasonable for post-Uni. I'm only going into S6 (year 13) - I'm in a good position to leverage this experience, alongside a strong network to try and land internships/spring weeks while at Uni eventually leading to a job.

I'm targeting jobs that don't necessarily require a specific degree; one in a numerate (or not if you go to Oxbridge) subject from a top school will suffice. It's mostly about presenting yourself in the best light possible and the only way to do that is to take initiative, find areas you are good at; expand on them. Don't forget to network!

Sounds typical.
Original post by Quady
Sounds typical.

Sarcasm detected..

Nice, what industry/industries are your two businesses in if you don't mind me asking?
Original post by StevenJH
Nice, what industry/industries are your two businesses in if you don't mind me asking?

One is in the elderly care service space/web service (providing an online subscription service to connect the elderly to sub-contracted service providers) and the other is in the retail/custom space - creating custom computers for people.
on 60k
Original post by Makaveli_The_Don
on 60k

Doing what job? How did you get there (in terms of qualifications/experience)?
Doing what job? How did you get there (in terms of qualifications/experience)?

business in middle east
business in middle east

Nice, you on an expat package? How do you like living there?

My dad was posted to Saudi Arabia (along with us) for a few years and he was paid fairly well there too. Most of our flights, accommodation, school fees and more were covered - didn't like going out of the compound though, bar the enevitable dune bash.
Nice, you on an expat package? How do you like living there?

My dad was posted to Saudi Arabia (along with us) for a few years and he was paid fairly well there too. Most of our flights, accommodation, school fees and more were covered - didn't like going out of the compound though, bar the enevitable dune bash.

na i dont live there i go there like every two months for like a week to chill really, i just do business with a khaleeji citizen and we make $$$

consultancy to energy companies if u must know
business in middle east

I turned down an offer of $250k a year to work in the Kingdom for 2 years working for a large security vendor as a contractor... the money out there is just insane, but it would have come with a big price in freedom and liberty for me at least, hence why even such a lucrative offer was not appealing. Some of my former colleagues have done work out there and loved it, others hated it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending