The Student Room Group

The Liverpool FC Thread XII

Scroll to see replies

Sterling will sooner or later need to be rested though, he is still young and we don't want him to burn out, he will be needed for the Real Madrid game. Good thing we have Lallana and Markovic in our squad :wink:
Original post by Strange Fruittt
anyway if we do somehow face a really unlikely situation where both Sturridge and Balo can't play, Raheem can just get pushed up front.

When we were playing 4-3-3 with Coutinho right, as against Soton, Sterling was pretty close to being a second striker anyway. You could see that by his positioning for his goal.

Yh but it will be harder for him to score as there won't really be any other forwards to make space for him to make runs. Lambert may help with that, seemed to work against Soton.
(edited 9 years ago)
If you play Sterling alone up front it will only work if the other team play a high line. I wouldn't do it though, he could just get marked out of the game and become isolated, Sturridge looks isolated alone and playing upfront is his actual trade. That and the fact he needs to be rested, don't want to do an Owen on him.

Isn't this why we bought Lambert anyway? I'd rather stick him up front with Lallana/Coutinho coming in to give Raheem a rest.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by samir12
Yh but it will be harder for him to score as there won't really be any other forwards to make space for him to make runs. Lambert may help with that, seemed to work against Soton.

Original post by So Instinct
If you play Sterling alone up front it will only work if the other team play a high line. I wouldn't do it though, he could just get marked out of the game and become isolated, Sturridge looks isolated alone and playing upfront is his actual trade.

That and the fact he needs to be rested, don't want to do an Owen on him.

Yer wasn't advocating playing him up there alone, he'd get bruised and battered and probably broken. Though we did do it once with Shelvey and got a 3-2 at West Ham (great game, one of my favourite LFC wins of recent years).

Was just editing to say that it'd be off Ricky, either in the 442/433 hybrid we had against Soton (with Markovic on the other wing).
Original post by sr90
Falcao fair enough, but Di Maria? We've needed a half decent winger since 2009.

Except if LVG is going to persist with his formation, it doesn't use wingers but wingbacks? Either you're going to use him as a left wingback or you're going to effectively use him in central midfield?

If it was still SAF at the helm, Di Maria makes perfect sense since SAF loved his wingers.

Original post by Lúcio
couldn't agree more zerf.

i am of course envious that they bought that much talent, although i would have been a lot of scared if they invested all the di maria/falcao money in to quality defenders.

They had a terrible summer last year and I'm not sure this summer is going much better.

Spent a lot of money and also tied down a number of players to large contracts but it's not obvious what the system is or how the squad fits together. Assuming they don't sign anyone else after Rojo, Falcao and Blind, I'm not so sure they will finish in the top 4..
996154_987699148069_3749192693810439691_n.jpg

I hope this worked cos this is hilarious :biggrin:
Original post by Zerforax
They had a terrible summer last year and I'm not sure this summer is going much better.

Spent a lot of money and also tied down a number of players to large contracts but it's not obvious what the system is or how the squad fits together. Assuming they don't sign anyone else after Rojo, Falcao and Blind, I'm not so sure they will finish in the top 4..

yeah, those 3 players seem pretty certain to join.
i think as it is, i ain't too bothered.

your picture was hilarious - who do they actually have down the right side?
what if the almighty rafael gets injured?
Original post by Lúcio
yeah, those 3 players seem pretty certain to join.
i think as it is, i ain't too bothered.

your picture was hilarious - who do they actually have down the right side?
what if the almighty rafael gets injured?

Rafael, Valencia, P.Jones, Smalling, Varela?

Hardly inspiring..
Why has nobody pinched Vertonghen yet? I'm always impressed by him. He'd surely be inclined to go to United, and he's infinitely better than their centre-backs.

Happy with our transfer window once again, though. Hope our momentum continues after the international break.
Original post by Mackay
Why has nobody pinched Vertonghen yet? I'm always impressed by him. He'd surely be inclined to go to United, and he's infinitely better than their centre-backs.

Happy with our transfer window once again, though. Hope our momentum continues after the international break.

I've been impressed wit Chelsea's and Man City's transfers.

Man Utd are still unbalanced
Arsenal are making a mistake if they don't buy/loan a replacement for Giroud
Everton have done okay but not really improved on their squad from last season
Spurs haven't done enough for me either

Feeling a little more confident about top 4 assuming nothing drastic changing in the next 8 hours.
Original post by Mackay

I think he already said he wants to stay at Spurs?

Was anyone else surprised with how poor Lloris was at the weekend? His distribution was terrible.
Rafael, Valencia, P.Jones, Smalling, Varela?

Hardly inspiring..

if rafael gets injured, they're totally screwed.
but don't worry, they still have falcao...

Feeling a little more confident about top 4 assuming nothing drastic changing in the next 8 hours.

chelsea in particular have brought in exactly what they needed as decent prices too.
arsenal need a striker, DM and maybe even a back up CB - they have been meh in this window.
for everton i agree - they don't scare me at all except their strike force is pretty good quality.
spurs again haven't really improved like you said.

i think it's just united we need to watch out for.
if we win our next 6 matches as expected, i predict us to be well clear of them anyway (4 points ahead already)
Lucas and Suso are staying it seems. No offers for them.

Everton's defence will let them down all season.
Apparently Borini deal to QPR fallen through due to wage demands £60k is what QPR are offering and £90k is what Borini wants.

DEAL OFF!
Original post by mr tim
Apparently Borini deal to QPR fallen through due to wage demands £60k is what QPR are offering and £90k is what Borini wants.

DEAL OFF!

What are we paying Borini currently? He certainly isn't worth £90k as our 4th choice striker.
i was bricking it that arsenal were gonna sign a player like cavani or falcao up front.

they got welbeck...
Actually glad Borini is staying, we need him for League Cup/FA Cup games. No point risking Balotelli/Sturridge against Middlesbrough.
Original post by Lúcio
i was bricking it that arsenal were gonna sign a player like cavani or falcao up front.

they got welbeck...

We were worried about the same for you

you got balotelli...
Borini wants 90k? Is he for real

Quick Reply

Latest