The Student Room Group

Southampton BM5 2015 Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Bit late then, I want to know if it is good enough for an application before applying, not after.
Original post by Bashur
Bit late then, I want to know if it is good enough for an application before applying, not after.

You're missing the point she made... You won't know beforehand... you have to gauge how much of a risk it is. If scores were similar to last year it would be too much of a risk applying.. scores generally seem lower this year but it is still likely a risky application as Southampton will likely attract high scores due to its admission policy.
Reply 22
Original post by ForestCat
You're missing the point she made... You won't know beforehand... you have to gauge how much of a risk it is. If scores were similar to last year it would be too much of a risk applying.. scores generally seem lower this year but it is still likely a risky application as Southampton will likely attract high scores due to its admission policy.

Thank you pal, that was the answer I was looking for.
Hi, I am an international student, my UKCAT average score is 710, with Situational judgement Band 1, my A level predicted grades would be A for the three main subjects. what are the likely chances for me to get an interview
Original post by Sidharthan
Hi, I am an international student, my UKCAT average score is 710, with Situational judgement Band 1, my A level predicted grades would be A for the three main subjects. what are the likely chances for me to get an interview

Well you'll need to be predicted AAA and A at AS levels. Your UKCAT would get you an interview last year but it depends what score we get this year :smile:
Reply 25
Thinking of applying for bm5- medicine 2015 entry this year.
Academics:
GCSE's 9A*s 1A
AS- AAAA Biology, Chemistry, maths and history

A2 predictions A*A*A Biology, chemistry, maths respectively

UKCAT- 715 Band 1 in SJT

What advice would you give? Am i a strong candidate for southampton?
Original post by iqranoor
Academics:
GCSE's 9A*s 1A

UKCAT- 715 Band 1 in SJT

Your Alevels and GCSEs tick the boxes so it's all down to UKCAT for an interview :smile:
Reply 27
Academics:
GCSE's 9A*s 1A

UKCAT- 715 Band 1 in SJT

Yes-you are a strong candidate for Southampton! :biggrin:
Reply 28
Original post by 2018
Yes-you are a strong candidate for Southampton! :biggrin:

thank you! but how can you be sure about the ukcat score?
Reply 29
Original post by Neostigmine
Your Alevels and GCSEs tick the boxes so it's all down to UKCAT for an interview :smile:

what do you think their ukcat avg would be?
Reply 30
Anyone thinking of applying to Southampton this year? Currently doing the BM5 course and am about to start my first clinical year so happy to answer any questions.

After bringing in interviews last year, they have finally got some data to show us:

The lowest UKCAT scores for those starting in 2014 were:

2800 (total) for School Leavers (A levels)
2500 (total) for mature non grads who were considered separately.

In total there were 1400+ applications, 457 interviews and 290 offers.

The interview will continue to be decided by UKCAT and will still consist of an individual panel interview based on your personal statement, and a group task.

The entry requirements can be found here

Good luck to those applying!

Do you think that this would make me a good candidate:

GCSE'S 9A*S 1A
AS Levels AAAA Biology, chemistry, maths and history
Predictions for A2 A*A*A Biology, chemistry and maths respectively

UKCAT- 2860 Average of 715 and band 1 in SJT

I think this is only slightly higher than last years 2800? however i do think ukcat is a lot harder this year and people are scoring lower.
would i have a very good chance?
thank you! but how can you be sure about the ukcat score?

what do you think their ukcat avg would be?

Do you think that this would make me a good candidate:

GCSE'S 9A*S 1A
AS Levels AAAA Biology, chemistry, maths and history
Predictions for A2 A*A*A Biology, chemistry and maths respectively

UKCAT- 2860 Average of 715 and band 1 in SJT

I think this is only slightly higher than last years 2800? however i do think ukcat is a lot harder this year and people are scoring lower.
would i have a very good chance?

I don't think anyone can say that anyone is a strong candidate given that we only have one year of data to go by.

With soton it is a check list -

do you meet A level requirements? No? Reject. Yes? Check GCSEs

do you meet GCSE requirements? No? Reject. Yes? Put in the pile to be considered for interview.

Once they have the maybe pile they rank by UKCAT. Last year, you would have got an interview. This year we don't know. The lowest score may go down as UKCAT is harder, but also more people know about Soton doing it this way so more excellent UKCAT scores might apply. It's a risk. They don't look at AS grades or SJT banding.

You just have to decide whether or not you think it will change and we don't have any information to say for sure what that change will be.

I think it won't change much. I'd suggest if there are not 4 unis that you like more and have a better chance in, then go for it. I am hopeful your score should be enough but we can't know until it's too late to change your mind! :frown:
Reply 32
I don't think anyone can say that anyone is a strong candidate given that we only have one year of data to go by.

With soton it is a check list -

do you meet A level requirements? No? Reject. Yes? Check GCSEs

do you meet GCSE requirements? No? Reject. Yes? Put in the pile to be considered for interview.

Once they have the maybe pile they rank by UKCAT. Last year, you would have got an interview. This year we don't know. The lowest score may go down as UKCAT is harder, but also more people know about Soton doing it this way so more excellent UKCAT scores might apply. It's a risk. They don't look at AS grades or SJT banding.

You just have to decide whether or not you think it will change and we don't have any information to say for sure what that change will be.

I think it won't change much. I'd suggest if there are not 4 unis that you like more and have a better chance in, then go for it. I am hopeful your score should be enough but we can't know until it's too late to change your mind! :frown:

I'm a bit confused - Southampton require 4 A's at AS so they will need to check them at some point won't they??
Original post by Danni42
I'm a bit confused - Southampton require 4 A's at AS so they will need to check them at some point won't they??

They don't require 4 As at AS..... they require AAA at A2 and an A at AS. They will check the results when they arrive in August but the key driver is the predicted grades. Due to resits etc Soton don't bother checking AS or modular grades. :smile:
Reply 34
They don't require 4 As at AS..... they require AAA at A2 and an A at AS. They will check the results when they arrive in August but the key driver is the predicted grades. Due to resits etc Soton don't bother checking AS or modular grades. :smile:

Ok thanks - that makes more sense now! :smile:
hi there....so, as I have 11a* at gcse, 4 A's at AS and a UKCAT SCORE OF 3050, am I guaranteed an interview? I did really like it on the open Day, but really like Sheffield too...I am torn but want to make the most of my scores...oh, and Im predicted A*A*A at A2.... thankyou...
Original post by unitopayfor
hi there....so, as I have 11a* at gcse, 4 A's at AS and a UKCAT SCORE OF 3050, am I guaranteed an interview? I did really like it on the open Day, but really like Sheffield too...I am torn but want to make the most of my scores...oh, and Im predicted A*A*A at A2.... thankyou...

oops..didnt mean to shout..sorry :colondollar:
Original post by unitopayfor

While you can never say you're guaranteed an interview it would have certainly got you one last year and I would be very surprised if it wasn't enough this year. I would say you're in with a very very very good chance at an interview :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
While you can never say you're guaranteed an interview it would have certainly got you one this year and I would be very surprised if it wasn't enough this year. I would say you're in with a very very very good chance at an interview :smile:

Thankyou..its deffo on my UCAS now..all set to press the button next week after my headteacher has vetted it :smile:
Reply 39
Hi guys and gals what are the chances of interview with a ukcat of 715, sit adj 1. the academics are:

9 GCSE's A* 1 A, AS 4 A's Biol Chem Maths & Hist, A2 predicted A*A*A*.

Appreciate your help and advice

Many thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending