The Student Room Group

Re: *** DENTISTRY Graduate Entry Programme 2015!!!! *** Applicants Discussion Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by VT180
Can I just ask, how much work exp have you done?

I have done 2 weeks in a dental practice, 2 days in a dental access centre and about a week in a dental laboratory.
What about you?
Original post by VT180
Yes, I thought they didn't anymore!

The tuition fee is an absolute pain!

How are you funding your undergrad if you don't mind me asking? I have spoken to a few banks, but haven't had any luck. Now that the fees have gone up it's going to be very difficult to find funding!
Reply 22
Original post by BiomedDentist
I have done 2 weeks in a dental practice, 2 days in a dental access centre and about a week in a dental laboratory.
What about you?

I've done 2 weeks in a GDP, Community, some abroad and hospital. I'm slightly worried that this may not be enough as 2 weeks is a minimum requirement...I've been reading on here that people have months of exp, but hopefully its the quality and not quantity :confused:
Reply 23
How are you funding your undergrad if you don't mind me asking? I have spoken to a few banks, but haven't had any luck. Now that the fees have gone up it's going to be very difficult to find funding!

Initially I was going to apply for all graduate entry courses because I really cannot afford it, but because its highly competitive with +1000 applicants and 15-30 places :eek: reduces my chances, and I know people with pHD applying to graduate entry.

I am currently on my gap year and I am working to save up for the course. I've also spoken to my family members and they are happy to support me! If I do get into undergrad, I would probably have to work alongside my studies :redface:

What about you?
Original post by VT180
I've done 2 weeks in a GDP, Community, some abroad and hospital. I'm slightly worried that this may not be enough as 2 weeks is a minimum requirement...I've been reading on here that people have months of exp, but hopefully its the quality and not quantity :confused:

That's really good, what they want to see is that you have learnt a lot about the career from your experiences. I'm hoping that mine is enough, but 2 weeks is the requirement, but a range of experiences is brilliant! :smile: You should feel confident
Original post by VT180
Initially I was going to apply for all graduate entry courses because I really cannot afford it, but because its highly competitive with +1000 applicants and 15-30 places :eek: reduces my chances, and I know people with pHD applying to graduate entry.

I am currently on my gap year and I am working to save up for the course. I've also spoken to my family members and they are happy to support me! If I do get into undergrad, I would probably have to work alongside my studies :redface:

What about you?

Good for you! I am applying for one undergrad and the rest grad entry. Undergrad is a last resort. I have saved a bit from my placement year in research, and I will have to rely on my partner, and work and whatever it takes I suppose. It's so worrying though!
Reply 26
Good for you! I am applying for one undergrad and the rest grad entry. Undergrad is a last resort. I have saved a bit from my placement year in research, and I will have to rely on my partner, and work and whatever it takes I suppose. It's so worrying though!

Thats good! Yes its ridiculous, but if its your burning passion, you just got to do whatever! But I do wonder if they reject graduates, if they think that graduates would struggle with the tuition fee
Original post by VT180
Thats good! Yes its ridiculous, but if its your burning passion, you just got to do whatever! But I do wonder if they reject graduates, if they think that graduates would struggle with the tuition fee

I know that with peninsula you have to provide some form of proof of your ability to fund it... :frown:
Reply 28
I know that with peninsula you have to provide some form of proof of your ability to fund it... :frown:

oooh..like a bank statement or something?!
I think it can be confirmation from an accountant I think, or yes, a bank statement... EEK
(edited 9 years ago)
I heard that Liverpool only have 15 spaces for graduate entry! Does anyone know if this is true?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by althornber1
I heard that Liverpool only have 15 spaces for graduate entry! Does anyone know if this is true?

Posted from TSR Mobile

This sounds about right. I know that Aberdeen have 15 places so lots of competition. They tend to interview around 60 students!
Good luck!
Hey guys,
Im applying for graduate entry into dentistry too :smile:

Im going into my 4th year of sports biomedicine at dundee university with a predicted 2.1. my ukcat is booked on the 9th september eek! If your still practising for yours i recommend you get Medify its really good! I've used books too but find i get bored very easily so doing it on the computer is better for me for some reason :P

really wanted to stay in dundee but they want a first hons so thought it would be a waste of a choice if i did't get that :frown: and found out glasgow want an A in higher chemistry alongside 2.1 hons which i dont have so trying to show ive done bits of chemistry on my course which should be equivalent.. but still waiting to hear back :s-smilie:

so looks like i'll be applying to aberdeen and 3 in england but not sure where yet!

who are you all putting as a reference? :smile:
Original post by r.turner20
Hey guys,
Im applying for graduate entry into dentistry too :smile:

Im going into my 4th year of sports biomedicine at dundee university with a predicted 2.1. my ukcat is booked on the 9th september eek! If your still practising for yours i recommend you get Medify its really good! I've used books too but find i get bored very easily so doing it on the computer is better for me for some reason :P

really wanted to stay in dundee but they want a first hons so thought it would be a waste of a choice if i did't get that :frown: and found out glasgow want an A in higher chemistry alongside 2.1 hons which i dont have so trying to show ive done bits of chemistry on my course which should be equivalent.. but still waiting to hear back :s-smilie:

so looks like i'll be applying to aberdeen and 3 in england but not sure where yet!

who are you all putting as a reference? :smile:

Hi, Good luck for you UKCAT tomorrow! :smile:
As for my reference, my dissertation tutor is going to do mine for me!

Let us know how you do :biggrin:
Thanks, it didn't go very well - i got 580 - Verbal reasoning section let me down big time :frown: got band 1 in situational judgement though but not sure if unis are going to consider that alongisde the score :/ Do you think thats a good enough score to still apply? I could wait another year, do a masters and re-do UKCAT and get a better score hopeully so as not to waste my choices as your not allowed ro re-apply to the same unis if im right. still think ill apply to the unis that dont require UKACT though.

Are you just going into fourth year then? Do you know your tutor quite well already? I think im going to get my dissertation supervisor to do mine aswell but i havent even met them yet so they are going to have to base it off of 3/4 weeks worth of work! :s-smilie:
Original post by r.turner20
Thanks, it didn't go very well - i got 580 - Verbal reasoning section let me down big time :frown: got band 1 in situational judgement though but not sure if unis are going to consider that alongisde the score :/ Do you think thats a good enough score to still apply? I could wait another year, do a masters and re-do UKCAT and get a better score hopeully so as not to waste my choices as your not allowed ro re-apply to the same unis if im right. still think ill apply to the unis that dont require UKACT though.

Are you just going into fourth year then? Do you know your tutor quite well already? I think im going to get my dissertation supervisor to do mine aswell but i havent even met them yet so they are going to have to base it off of 3/4 weeks worth of work! :s-smilie:

Hi,

Aberdeen has been known to accept people with a score lower than that! Also I would definitely apply still, there are lots that don't require UKCAT. Are you applying to graduate entry or undergrad?

I know my tutor fairly well! You can now see the reference before it is sent, so as long as they make reference to your predicted grades and stuff then it should be fine. I would set up a specific meeting to discuss what they could write for you :smile:

Oh and yes, I am going into my 4th year after my placement year :smile:
Good luck with your applications everyone! I hope it all goes to plan. I've just recently graduated from the graduate course, and have started my DF1 job, feel free to drop me a message if you have any questions about the GPEP course at Kings.
I'll try my best to answer as many messages as possible.

Good luck! x

Tips on applying to dental school
Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 37
Hi,

Aberdeen has been known to accept people with a score lower than that! Also I would definitely apply still, there are lots that don't require UKCAT. Are you applying to graduate entry or undergrad?

I know my tutor fairly well! You can now see the reference before it is sent, so as long as they make reference to your predicted grades and stuff then it should be fine. I would set up a specific meeting to discuss what they could write for you :smile:

Oh and yes, I am going into my 4th year after my placement year :smile:

How do I view my reference on ucas? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by VT180
How do I view my reference on ucas? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm not sure actually, I haven't had my reference uploaded yet! :smile:
Hey
Just did my ukcat and averaged 617...as got completely screwed over by VR and got 500 :frown:
pretty disappointed!
Anyway is it still worth me applying? I was going to apply for uclan and Liverpool for graduate entry and as far as I can see they don't look at ukcat?
Then I was going to apply for Cardiff for undergraduate as I did my first degree there! does anyone know what undergraduate degrees would be best to apply for with a lower UKCAT score?
Thank you!

Quick Reply

Latest