The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Autistic Merit
This is a first. :angry:

Do you think that the education system in Britain is obsolete? do you take the view that students in schools are more demanded than encouraged?
Original post by deansimpala
Sorry for jumping in but I want to be a Science teacher also. Is the QTS route a better one than say doing a degree in Physics and then doing a PGCE??? Still got two years to decide which one to do but what do you think gives me the best chance of getting a job and which one generally looks better to have done??? Thanks:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Unless you're 100% sure that you're going to be a teacher, I would always get the degree and then the PGCE. You might decide that teaching is not for you and you wouldn't be in a bad place still as you would have a degree to fall back on.

Original post by patronusleviosa
might be a silly question (decided it is) but i'm going to ask anyway. do you think it's possible for a B grade student to become an A/A* student? (GCSE)

It's not that common but it does happen if they put a lot of revision in in Year 11.
Unless you're 100% sure that you're going to be a teacher, I would always get the degree and then the PGCE. You might decide that teaching is not for you and you wouldn't be in a bad place still as you would have a degree to fall back on.

Thanks a lot ! :smile:
A lot to consider haha!! :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by nabil921
you'll have to pay to go your pgce too so if you know you want to be a teacher just do the qts.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Unless times have changed, you can get a bursary for your PGCE in Physics - equivalent to £20k if you got a First.
Original post by Kallisto
Do you think that the education system in Britain is obsolete? do you take the view that students in schools are more demanded than encouraged?

It's not obsolete but it could be a lot better. Schools are essentially blackmailed into getting good results in tests where the best strategy is to just blindly cram in loads of facts and regurgitate them without full understanding. I can't honestly remember anything that I learned from triple science now. Hell, I can't even tell you what I learned in my degree, and that was 2 years ago!
do you get paid during the holidays?
x

What would you as teacher do, so students are able to understand what they have to learn in school? Do you think it would be better for students when they have opportunities to make experiences out of the schools to see what 'the lot of facts' as you said means in everyday life?
Hi. I am starting my degree in English and Creative Writing. Will this enable me to enter secondary level teaching? What is your option?Also is teach first or PGCE better? Much Obliged, ThankYou. Ibrahim

Posted from TSR Mobile

How much do you get paid as a teacher?

1. Should GCSE maths contain any coursework? Why or why not?

2. Should A-level maths contain any coursework? Why or why not?
(edited 9 years ago)
Do you workout?

It's not that common but it does happen if they put a lot of revision in in Year 11.

just to get you your opinion about something I did.

This year I completed my A2 exams but 3 months before the exams I told my maths teacher he was redundant,useless and a terrible teacher and then stopped going to all of my lessons in every subject. I then worked at home teaching myself and ended up with 3 A*'s at A-level which I was proud of getting through teaching myself with 100% in most exams.

However, I now feel a bit guilty of saying those things to my teacher and wondered if a student said those sort of things to you and then didn't go to your lessons after how would you feel?
Original post by Hellokiddies
what advice would you give someone who got b's and c's for AS but wants to apply for dentistry?

give up. lol.
Hello, if you are an english teacher how can I get a A/A* in English Controlled assessment Edexcel.
Reply 734
What advice can you give to a pupil who is starting Year 13 and who still can't decide which uni course to apply for? I mean, I have 5 As at AS with pretty high UMS, so I am confident of getting an offer from a good uni. But I am torn between chemistry and maths, and even after weighing all possible pros and cons for each option and talking to lots of people (friends, parents, teachers, tutor), I still can't make up my mind. What do you think I should do? I'm also pretty short on time as I'm an Oxbridge applicant. Thanks in advance.
Original post by ckfeister
Hello, if you are an english teacher how can I get a A/A* in English Controlled assessment Edexcel.

he's a maths teaxher
If you are Math teacher I have a few questions:
I will start my Mathematics degree this year but I do not want be a teacher what is percentage of people going into finance after Msci Mathematics?
What is the best advice for someone who decided to do the degree mathematics?
can you tell me what kind of part-time jobs did you do during your study??
That's it for now.
Maths - B
Further maths - B
Chemistry - C
Biology - C

By the way if you had from A level Mathematics B and Further Mathematics B how hard was for you on Uni I did A level Fast track Mathematics I achieved grade A, I haven't done Further Mathematics as I planned to do this year fast track with predicted already A or A* but Uni offered me a place straight away. I need 70+ to jump on MSci and I do not know how hard is to achieve 70+?
Any of the topics to do with differentiation and integration really.

They are a necessary evil I suppose. Definitely not a fan of when senior leaders come in to observe without giving any notice though (although they will always say they are observing the students, not the teacher).

Oh and the last one: how important is Mathematics Mechanics on Uni? I had A in that but that was a miracle as I did just half of the paper (really!!!) and after this year I am literally scared of it:smile:)
Probably will have more questions later on
Original post by MatureIsGood:))
Oh and the last one: how important is Mathematics Mechanics on Uni? I had A in that but that was a miracle as I did just half of the paper (really!!!) and after this year I am literally scared of it:smile:)
Probably will have more questions later on

Most do not go into teaching

Grade at A level and their impact depends on the university

You will have a lot of options at university and can minimise the mechanics if you need to

Latest