The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by leinad2012
Glad you were positive after that, final 15 minutes showed why Sanchez will be great for us no matter where he plays, real fire to complete.

A REAL fan gets behind the team instead of moaning after every point thats dropped or transfer target isn't got. I don't want 4th, I want Arsenal to win the premier league, the UCL, but I'm also realistic and would rather we spent WITHIN our means and had stability, rather than do a Leeds and end up in the championship by ridiculously overspending and getting into debt, which we would do if we signed half the player you want.

Liverpool haven't moved ahead, neither has Everton really, Chelsea has but they do every year and an injury to Costa will leave them in trouble. City are also worse this season and united will take time to gel.

I'm not happy we only signed Welbeck, but panic buying isn't the answer, I'd after we waited til Jan to get someone great than panic buy now

I don't remember saying I wasn't going to get behind the team so I have no idea where you got that from. You need to learn to separate Arsenal and Arsene Wenger, they are not the same thing. When he goes we will still exist, before we came he existed. I don't know how many times I am going to have to say this, we are not poor we could have got a quality ST, DM and CB along with those we already have but their is no ambition at the club to do so. We have a transfer kitty of £100m, spent £65m, got around half that back (not including the CL money) we could have spent the rest and not fallen into the abyss like you seem to think would happen.

Lol, Liverpool finished above us, they are already ahead. Along with City and Chelsea. United may have no defense but they have quality strikers and goals win games, we saw that will LFC last season, awful defense, deadly up top.

Panic buying is not the answer?! Welbeck is the epitome of a panic buy. We won't get anyone in January, prices are even higher and you are already having a conniption about not wanting to spend money for a proper player now. We won't be able to get them in the first place. Another summer wasted.
(edited 9 years ago)
I can't quite tell if people are acc serious on this thread sometimes or just being plain sarcastic.
Original post by Stalin
Wenger will turn Welbeck into a beast - watch this space.

I'll be honest, the guy is as good as your typical continental up and coming strikers (e.g. your Immobiles and the like). The problem is, for our team he is probably going to be another squad player that Wenger hopes will turn out to be great. I.e. Another big gamble. We just have to accept we're not United, the higher ups are not the sort that would put £200k a week on for a star striker.
Then again, not even Bayern imo are really in that bracket because to me they just buy the right players very effectively, pretty much the opposite to us really. They hardly break the bank, but they always seem to buy the right players at reasonable prices.
Original post by Peggles_*
I don't remember saying I wasn't going to get behind the team so I have no idea where you got that from. You need to learn to separate Arsenal and Arsene Wenger, they are not the same thing. When he goes we will still exist, before he came he existed. I don't know how many times I am going to have to say this, we are not poor we could have gotten a quality ST, DM and CB along with those we already have but their is no ambition at the club to do so. We have a transfer kitty of £100m, spent £65m, got around half that back (not including the CL money) we could have spent the rest and not fallen into the abyss like you seem to think would happen.

Lol, Liverpool finished above us, they are already ahead. Along with City and Chelsea. United may have no defense but they have quality strikers and goals win games, we saw that will LFC last season, awful defense, deadly up top.

Panic buying is not the answer?! Welbeck is the epitome of a panic buy. We won't get anyone in January, prices are even higher and you are already having a conniption about not wanting to spend money for a proper player now. We won't be able to get them in the first place. Another summer wasted.

I completely agree we needed to sign a CDM and the fact that we haven't is disappointing to say the least. Really felt Khedira should have been pushed through but it's about getting behind the team now.

You're seriously lowering your points though by going "city and liverpool are already ahead of us", yeah, by 1 point after 3 games. Man United have no CM or CDM of seriouos talent and with such a poor defence I just can't see where the chances are going to be created (unless Rooney is moved to CM which would be sensible). Liverpools defence cost them late on, and the same will be true of United this yer.

On a serious note Welbeck probably wasn't a panic buy, think back 4 weeks when we turned down selling Verm to united because they wouldn't agree a player plus cash deal. Chances are we asked for Welbeck as there isn't anyone at United that it would make sense us making a move for. Girouds injury just sped up thee process
So, what we giving the transfer window out of 10? Should we get Welbeck of course.
Original post by Tom_Ford
I'll be honest, the guy is as good as your typical continental up and coming strikers (e.g. your Immobiles and the like). The problem is, for our team he is probably going to be another squad player that Wenger hopes will turn out to be great. I.e. Another big gamble. We just have to accept we're not United, the higher ups are not the sort that would put £200k a week on for a star striker.
Then again, not even Bayern imo are really in that bracket because to me they just buy the right players very effectively, pretty much the opposite to us really. They hardly break the bank, but they always seem to buy the right players at reasonable prices.

Chelsea the past year are probably the best example of not breaking the bank for the right players.
So, what we giving the transfer window out of 10? Should we get Welbeck of course.

6/10

7/10

4. A top DM would've made it 6, and a top striker 8.
(edited 9 years ago)

hmm

Well I would say I wanted to get the following from this window:

(in priority order)

1 - Stability + Strength in the midfield
2 - Better attacking options (did not score enough last season)
3 - Not to loose any players (without replacement)
4 - Better squad depth

I would say, out of those it has succeded on 2+3, but missed 1+4

Given that 1 was the biggest priority for me, I cant consider this window a sucess.. but also given that we did not loose any talent, and have certianly gained attacking options in welbeck + sanchez, I would give it a

6/10

(for reference, last window would get a 7/10, and the window before would get a 3/10)

With more defensive cover it would go up to a 7, and with a midfield option I would have given it a 9... with a top class striker instead of welbeck aswlell, and I would give it a 10
Original post by jam278
Chelsea the past year are probably the best example of not breaking the bank for the right players.

6/10

Tbh Bayern are amazing in the market. Lewa for free, Benetia, Alonso (Squad player) for peanuts. Imo works out more effectively than banging £70m+ for James Rodriguez like Madrid did.
Reply 7791
Original post by leinad2012
I completely agree we needed to sign a CDM and the fact that we haven't is disappointing to say the least. Really felt Khedira should have been pushed through but it's about getting behind the team now.

You're seriously lowering your points though by going "city and liverpool are already ahead of us", yeah, by 1 point after 3 games. Man United have no CM or CDM of seriouos talent and with such a poor defence I just can't see where the chances are going to be created (unless Rooney is moved to CM which would be sensible). Liverpools defence cost them late on, and the same will be true of United this yer.

On a serious note Welbeck probably wasn't a panic buy, think back 4 weeks when we turned down selling Verm to united because they wouldn't agree a player plus cash deal. Chances are we asked for Welbeck as there isn't anyone at United that it would make sense us making a move for. Girouds injury just sped up thee process

Finally something we argue on. No excuses not get a DM (along with a ST and back up CB)

Don't see how I am lowering my point, I was referring to last season. By dint of the fact that they finished above us, they are already ahead of us and they have only moved further away by getting the players they needed and us not doing so, again. City were light-years ahead and will continue, Chelsea getting Costa and Cesc have pushed themselves further up and Liverpool singing 9 thousand players to replace 1 could end up going the Spurs way but it could equally be a stroke of genius.

We wanted Smalling or Jones, but United weren't having it. The kit man was at Colney today, doing a bit of ironing and saw Welbeck with the England squad training and whatsapped Arsene.
Tbh Bayern are amazing in the market. Lewa for free, Benetia, Alonso (Squad player) for peanuts. Imo works out more effectively than banging £70m+ for James Rodriguez like Madrid did.

Alonso is 32 and was 8M. It's not really peanuts, just a fair price for a past it player. Lewa was great ofc, Benatia for 24M is similar to Fabregas for 30 or Costa for 32.
hmm thinking about other teams, I would give:

Chelsea = 10/10

Adressed every area, got rid of players who were not nessasary, and brough in proper quality.

United = 8/10

Dont think they will make top4, but they have brought in some proper quality.. it may not be in the areas they desperatly need, but that quality will still be there for the next few years as they adress those problems..

Struggling with city and liverpool.. I dont follow city much, so not sure on them..

And liverpool I just do not know..

I mean they filled a lot of gaps in their squad, and lovren looks great.. but I think far more time is needed to see if their new squad can replace suarez and be a sucess..
Original post by fallen_acorns
hmm

Well I would say I wanted to get the following from this window:

(in priority order)

1 - Stability + Strength in the midfield
2 - Better attacking options (did not score enough last season)
3 - Not to loose any players (without replacement)
4 - Better squad depth

I would say, out of those it has succeded on 2+3, but missed 1+4

Given that 1 was the biggest priority for me, I cant consider this window a sucess.. but also given that we did not loose any talent, and have certianly gained attacking options in welbeck + sanchez, I would give it a

6/10

(for reference, last window would get a 7/10, and the window before would get a 3/10)

With more defensive cover it would go up to a 7, and with a midfield option I would have given it a 9... with a top class striker instead of welbeck aswlell, and I would give it a 10

Personally I think this window was a lot better than last year. Ozil papered over the fact we signed two inadequate players on free transfers last summer. This year I think we've replaced well and improved our depth in attack with Welbeck, Sanchez and Campbell. Don't underestimate how good a signing Sanchez will be he is absolutely world class. Although we didn't sign a marquee striker our attack as been improved massively all the same. Once Walcott comes back our front three will have serious pace.

No defensive midfielder isn't as big a disaster as many people make out as obviously Wenger wants to see Wilshere have his chance to realise his potential and signing a new CDM would effectively have killed that. We can adjust our tactics to avoid thrashings too as they were caused by a lot more than a lack of a CDM.

The failure to get more defensive cover is the worst aspect of this window for me and is a ridiculous risk to take. Having said that Chambers looks like he could be a solid defender for us for years to come.

7/10 overall.
(edited 9 years ago)

Tbh it helps to be absolutely dominant in your league, winning countless trophies per season.
Original post by jam278
Alonso is 32 and was 8M. It's not really peanuts, just a fair price for a past it player. Lewa was great ofc, Benatia for 24M is similar to Fabregas for 30 or Costa for 32.

Thought Alonso was £5m. Tbh though they needed experienced cover who has played well at the highest level. They did what they had to.

In terms of analogy though, it was all sensible business, much more so than a £70m punt on a guy who just had a good world cup and nothing much else to show for it.
6/10 window from us. Would have been a 4 if not for Sanchez.
Do we have welbeck?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest