The Student Room Group

Leicester Medical Applicants 2014

Scroll to see replies

Reply 3600
Just in vase you missed it, I'd follow the advice about not buying any books before you actually get started on the course. Before I started at uni I made the mistake of buying half of the reading list as soon as it arrived...which I very soon came to regret.

Of course if your loved ones wish to buy you nice thick medical books it would be rude for you to refuse...:wink:
Original post by minhle20
You can't really do much really. Did you do any volunteering during year 13? If you have, then thats great, if not then on your personal statement just embellish what you have. I started my personal statement from scratch and it was generally a better piece of prose compared to my previous one.

Hi Thanks for your reply, I did my UKCAT today and unfortunately got much lower than last year 650 compared to 725, :frown:. I still get 34/34 for academics but only 26 points for the UKCAT should I still consider Leicester? Thanks
Original post by Ravin429
Hi Thanks for your reply, I did my UKCAT today and unfortunately got much lower than last year 650 compared to 725, :frown:. I still get 34/34 for academics but only 26 points for the UKCAT should I still consider Leicester? Thanks

Personally, I would say no. I don't think that score is competitive enough when they have so much emphasis on UKCAT. But if your ps is really strong then it may be enough... It's up to you whether you want to risk it, but 60/68 isn't strong.
Original post by Ravin429

Hey sorry for the late reply...

I reckon it is risky applying with a score of 60/68. Your UKCAT is pretty good, but because Leicester puts lots of emphasis on UKCAT, you are at a disadvantage here. Of course it's up to you at the end of the day, but if I were in your position, I wouldn't apply to Leicester.
Original post by minhle20
Hey sorry for the late reply...

I reckon it is risky applying with a score of 60/68. Your UKCAT is pretty good, but because Leicester puts lots of emphasis on UKCAT, you are at a disadvantage here. Of course it's up to you at the end of the day, but if I were in your position, I wouldn't apply to Leicester.

No worries, yeah I thought as much, I am having difficulty in trying to figure or where my best chances our in gaining an interview. Thanks for all your help anyway :biggrin:
Just going to put this out there. http://www.ukcat.ac.uk/App_Media/uploads/pdf/2014%20Preliminary%20Mean%20Scores%20140814.pdf
The preliminary mean scores this year indicate that anything above 2860 in the UKCAT would put someone in the top 10% of those sitting the exam. So you can get 28.5/34 on Leicester's UKCAT scoring system and pretty much be in the top 10% of all medical applicants. To reiterate, someone whose mark is in the 10th decile of UKCAT scores still loses 5.5 marks overall even if they have perfect academics. I don't think you need to be getting high 60s to stand a chance because this is simply unrealistic.

Getting into medicine is extremely hard. But it can't be as hard as people above are implying. Basically what I mean is that even the best scoring applicants are very unlikely have the full 68/68. I reckon 60+, or maybe below this, will be competitive.

(I'm certainly hoping it is.)
Original post by Steppentrout
Just going to put this out there. http://www.ukcat.ac.uk/App_Media/uploads/pdf/2014%20Preliminary%20Mean%20Scores%20140814.pdf
The preliminary mean scores this year indicate that anything above 2860 in the UKCAT would put someone in the top 10% of those sitting the exam. So you can get 28.5/34 on Leicester's UKCAT scoring system and pretty much be in the top 10% of all medical applicants. To reiterate, someone whose mark is in the 10th decile of UKCAT scores still loses 5.5 marks overall even if they have perfect academics. I don't think you need to be getting high 60s to stand a chance because this is simply unrealistic.

Getting into medicine is extremely hard. But it can't be as hard as people above are implying. Basically what I mean is that even the best scoring applicants are very unlikely have the full 68/68. I reckon 60+, or maybe below this, will be competitive.

(I'm certainly hoping it is.)

I agree, last year my daughter got an interview with 100% academic points combined with top 30% UKCAT score (awarded 30/30 and 28/30 respectively) so someone achieving top 10% UKCAT definitely stands a good chance. The overall scores will generally be a bit lower because of the tougher UKCAT this year.
Hi i'm applying for medicine for 2015 entry and my academic is 32/34 and my ukcat score is 25.5 giving me a total score of 57.5/65
My predicted grades are 3 A*s and 1 A;
so is it worth applying to leicester because there is a lot of confusion about UKCAT scores. :smile:
Reply 3608
Original post by SeamusHeaney
Hi i'm applying for medicine for 2015 entry and my academic is 32/34 and my ukcat score is 25.5 giving me a total score of 57.5/65
My predicted grades are 3 A*s and 1 A;
so is it worth applying to leicester because there is a lot of confusion about UKCAT scores. :smile:

They've completely changed their entire selection process and so cut-offs can't be based on previous years, so honestly no-one knows. We could guess but the response would be no more than exactly that. :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
If I’m honest, if the cut off is so high as everyone is proclaiming, on the admissions information document they wouldn’t use such ‘low’ scores like “28/34” for grades, making the maximum mark you could obtain at 59/68.

I don’t think anyone can say what the cut off is going to be, and I’m pretty sure everyone saying that its going to be really high is just to put down those that didn’t score as highly.
Hi guys,

I really fell in love with the med school at Leicester, but I think my UKCAT has let me down. I score 32/34 for the academic stuff, but I got 2530 for my ukcat.. which is a score of 25 I believe. Would a score of 57 be good enough? :smile:
57.5? Hmm
Original post by JulietR
57.5? Hmm

??
Original post by k1rby
They've completely changed their entire selection process and so cut-offs can't be based on previous years, so honestly no-one knows. We could guess but the response would be no more than exactly that. :smile:

I guess I'm in the same situation as you! If you dont mind me asking, what id you get for your AS and what were you predicted)
Original post by ashcariba17
??

Just thinking I have no idea whether this is good enough, or whether to wait until next year when I have re-done some AS exams and have achieved A2 levels.
Original post by JulietR
Just thinking I have no idea whether this is good enough, or whether to wait until next year when I have re-done some AS exams and have achieved A2 levels.

If you're determined, you'll get in :smile: What AS grades did you get, if you don't mind me asking?
If you're determined, you'll get in :smile: What AS grades did you get, if you don't mind me asking?

AABB
Definitely resitting a chem exam as I was one mark off an A and possibly resitting maths which was the other B but I still might not get an A.
Original post by JulietR
AABB
Definitely resitting a chem exam as I was one mark off an A and possibly resitting maths which was the other B but I still might not get an A.

Hey, I'm sure you can get an A :smile: Well done on those grades. I got those grades, with the As in bio and chem, and the Bs in physics and maths. I'm retaking mechanics and possibly chemistry unit 2 (just to bring my mark up as I got a B in that unit). Have you taken the UKCAT?
Hey, I'm sure you can get an A :smile: Well done on those grades. I got those grades, with the As in bio and chem, and the Bs in physics and maths. I'm retaking mechanics and possibly chemistry unit 2 (just to bring my mark up as I got a B in that unit). Have you taken the UKCAT?

Yes I got 695 average
Reply 3619
I guess I'm in the same situation as you! If you dont mind me asking, what id you get for your AS and what were you predicted)

Actually we're not, I start the course in 3 weeks - just offering help! But I got AAAB at AS level, was predicted A*AA and got AA*A*.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending