The Student Room Group

The Liverpool FC Thread XII

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Strange Fruittt
Lovren is right footed though, so he does have the ability to play on the right. The same skills apply, it's just the initial movement instincts that have to be retrained. Can't see any reason why he can't play on the right. He did for Soton last year when required.

What might be a bit more damaging to their potential partnership is both of them being the proactive, front foot type defender, which is what created the Chadli chance, but that too can be worked on.

I guess if he's right footed it's possible when we have to make do but that's still make-shift which was my original point. I think if he was trying to make Sakho/Skrtel the main CB partnership we would have seen signs of that during pre-season instead of 3 games in.

Chadli chance was probs just miscommunication and Lovrens/Sakhos instincts, I'm guessing as a normal LCB they're both instinctively used to going for that ball. I reckon that wouldn't have happened had Skrtel been playing with him also being the backfoot type too.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by jam278
But then Sakho/Skrtel didn't work well because Skrtel was a backfoot defender and Sakho was front foot. Surely it helps you with the offside trap if both players are inclined to push up than one push up and other sits back.

It works well enough for Barca anyway.

My bad, to clarify,

Sakho and Lovren both see themselves as ball winners. If they both go for the same ball or make the movements to go for the same ball, or ball watch with the intention of going for that ball, then we're vulnerable to the second/spare man.
Original post by jam278
Don't think it'll be too much a problem.

Sakho has to go on the left, he leaves a bit of space by being rash but if he can curb that he has the makings of a great CB. Reminds me a lot of David Luiz(but better aerial threat) so would be nervous to have him in my squad.

I'm not saying it will be a problem, just saying I doubt it will be a first 11 is Skrtel is fit. It's more of a make do CB pairing.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by jam278
But then Sakho/Skrtel didn't work well because Skrtel was a backfoot defender and Sakho was front foot. Surely it helps you with the offside trap if both players are inclined to push up than one push up and other sits back.

It works well enough for Barca anyway.

Don't watch Barca much but two front footed CB's seems like suicide, especially against your West Hams of the world, you'll get the bag man knock on balls for days for the guy running in on decent chances or 1v1's with no CB's in to cover. You might catch a few offsides but it's an inevitability any half smart forward will hold his run, unless it's Yaya Sanogo.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by So Instinct
I guess if he's right footed it's possible when we have to make do but that's still make-shift which was my original point. I think if he was trying to make Sakho/Skrtel the main CB partnership we would have seen signs of that during pre-season instead of 3 games in.

Chadli chance was probs just miscommunication and Lovrens instincts, I'm guessing as a normal LCB he's instinctively used to going for that ball. I reckon that wouldn't have happened had Skrtel been playing with him also being the backfoot type too.

It's not really 'makeshift'. I can't really claim to know exactly why Lovren's played on the left but it's probably out of necessity, because he's incredibly comfortable on both feet (better him at LCB than the other right footer, eg). A right footer playing on the right hand side isn't makeshift, it should be natural and perfectly fine, it's just that it might take him a game or two (or longer, idk) to lose his LCB positioning. In pre-season, Lovren wasn't around because of the visa issues, and Sakho returned late with France... I guess the Dortmund game is an example but personally I'd still be surprised if Sakho-Lovren isn't the long term aim.

Tbh I don't think it's his LCB instincts there, I think it's his ball winner instincts. And that would be fine if Sakho hadn't made the initial movements too. Yep, that wouldn't have happened with Skrtel, but Skrtel has many other flaws to his game, so...
Don't watch Barca much but two front footed CB's seems like suicide, especially against your West Hams of the world, you'll get the bag man knock on balls for days with no CB's in to cover. You might catch a few offsides but it's an inevitability any half smart forward will hold his run.

Man City do it too. It all depends on the style of play. Would say Mascherano can cover as well as play front foot. Pique gets caught out badly though. Obviously don't all go for the same ball, that's retard.
Original post by jam278
Man City do it too. It all depends on the style of play. Would say Mascherano can cover as well as play front foot. Pique gets caught out badly though. Obviously don't all go for the same ball, that's retard.

I've not thought of Demichelis as particularly front footed in the past few games.
Kompany yeah he's about as front footed as it gets and as a result gets caught out sometimes.

Yeah I remember seeing Pique get caught out in a few Clásico's. Probs helps a lot when you have someone like Mascherano putting in work though, ripping his ass to get last ditch tackles in.
(edited 9 years ago)
I've not thought of Demichelis as particularly front footed in the past few games.
Kompany yeah he's about as front footed as it gets and as a result gets caught out sometimes.

Probs helps a lot when you have someone like Mascherano putting in work, ripping his ass to get last ditch tackles in.

Mainly because he's not the paciest of players but he does go out for tackles and do aggressive defending.

Mascherano does do a good job for Barca, if he was taller he'd be a pretty good CB but he tends to struggle vs the big guys. Drogba made him his bitch.
Original post by jam278
Mainly because he's not the paciest of players but he does go out for tackles and do aggressive defending.

Mascherano does do a good job for Barca, if he was taller he'd be a pretty good CB but he tends to struggle vs the big guys. Drogba made him his bitch.

Yeah yeah, guess that makes sense.

You on plug?
Original post by manchesterunited15
We were worried about the same for you

you got balotelli...

Balotelli scored 1 in 3 at Man City and 1 in 2 at AC Milan whereas Welbecks is 1 in..? He's not very prolific..
So we signed Balotelli and Markovic for £16mil

Whereas Arsenal decide to sign Welbeck..?
Waking up to the news of Arsenal signing Welbeck was pretty funny, where did that come from
Yesterday,last minute deal and they got an extension.
Original post by Deshi
Waking up to the news of Arsenal signing Welbeck was pretty funny, where did that come from

I can imagine the lul wat waking up. I should have just left deadline day and just see what happens at the end.
2 weeks till our CL game at Anfield!!!! :excited:

I honestly can't wait for the game, we've been out of the CL for far too long. God the atmosphere at Anfield will no doubt be amazing. :awesome:
Original post by Zerforax
Balotelli scored 1 in 3 at Man City and 1 in 2 at AC Milan whereas Welbecks is 1 in..? He's not very prolific..

1 in 2.5 last year. He's played out of position and doesn't take penalties though
Original post by manchesterunited15
1 in 2.5 last year. He's played out of position and doesn't take penalties though

And the year before that?
Original post by Zerforax
And the year before that?

1 in 27, but he never played up front that year due to RVP staying fit and most of his appearances were off the bench. 1 in 3 the year before that when he did have some games up front

Quick Reply

Latest