The Student Room Group

The Faliure of Multiculturalism

Multiculturalism, or the idea that each culture is equally viable and correct and should be protected, is an inherently flawed system. Society should not aim to protect any culture, even English culture, but should stand up for what is just and right regardless of culture.

Tolerance and protection of a culture is fine and good on superficial issues such as the clothes people wear, the food they eat and how they may wish to worship their gods but when a culture bring ideas that encourage or cause violation of basic human rights and principles it must not be tolerated; it must be activity countered.

In a society where we try to tolerate and protect a culture regardless of its inherent values it can only lead to cultural isolation and segregation in society and cases like this; where a women who points out a cultural group within Britain is endemically raping another is sent on a course to educate her on how wrong she is.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/crime/11069178/Researcher-sent-on-diversity-course-after-raising-alarm-over-Rotherham-sex-abuse.html

Scroll to see replies

Original post by The Angry Stoic
Multiculturalism, or the idea that each culture is equally viable and correct and should be protected,l

Gonna stop you right there champ, because that is not the definition of multiculturalism.

Multiculturalism is simply the idea that as long as people are not breaking the law, they should be allowed to live their lives as they see fit. Eat what they like, wear what they like, listen to what music they like, play what sports they like, worship what god they like.

The alternative to multiculturalism, monoculturalism, is a small step away from fascism.
Multiculturalism, or the idea that each culture is equally viable and correct and should be protected, is an inherently flawed system. Society should not aim to protect any culture, even English culture, but should stand up for what is just and right regardless of culture.

Tolerance and protection of a culture is fine and good on superficial issues such as the clothes people wear, the food they eat and how they may wish to worship their gods but when a culture bring ideas that encourage or cause violation of basic human rights and principles it must not be tolerated; it must be activity countered.

In a society where we try to tolerate and protect a culture regardless of its inherent values it can only lead to cultural isolation and segregation in society and cases like this; where a women who points out a cultural group within Britain is endemically raping another is sent on a course to educate her on how wrong she is.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/crime/11069178/Researcher-sent-on-diversity-course-after-raising-alarm-over-Rotherham-sex-abuse.html

How do we know what is just and right though?
Original post by cole-slaw
Gonna stop you right there champ, because that is not the definition of multiculturalism.

Multiculturalism is simply the idea that as long as people are not breaking the law, they should be allowed to live their lives as they see fit. Eat what they like, wear what they like, listen to what music they like, play what sports they like, worship what god they like.

The alternative to multiculturalism, monoculturalism, is a small step away from fascism.

That's not multicultralism as I've heard it discussed in contemporary politics. What you describe is better described as pluralism, which I support. I believe the ethnology of multiculturalism does justice to the definition I use far more adeptly. The idea it is the acceptance of the whole culture.

Though that point is largely moot. Call it what you will, the current policy of encouragement ofwholesale acceptance of a culture is flawed.
Original post by Hachik0
How do we know what is just and right though?

We legislate it. As a collective we can contruct the most just legal system possible that is blind of culture and race.

I don't want to argue morality with you.
We legislate it. As a collective we can contruct the most just legal system possible that is blind of culture and race.

I don't want to argue morality with you.

Im not arguing, i just thought i would raise the question. :smile: Interesting to hear your perspective.
That's not multicultralism as I've heard it discussed in contemporary politics. What you describe is better described as pluralism, which I support. I believe the ethnology of multiculturalism does justice to the definition I use far more adeptly. The idea it is the acceptance of the whole culture.

Though that point is largely moot. Call it what you will, the current policy of encouragement ofwholesale acceptance of a culture is flawed.

What you're describing is some kind of imaginary strawman version of cultural relativism, which as far as I am aware is not promoted by anyone, anywhere.

Multiculturalism has been incredibly successful in this country. We've absorbed a huge number of immigrants of a variety of different faiths and cultures with absolute minimum of fuss, and in 99.99% of cases they've integrated fantastically well into the community.

I speak as someone who has lived in several extremely culturally diverse (currently white minority) communities and seen first hand how successfully each new wave of immigrants has integrated with the rest of the community. Statistics suggest that this is the case across the rest of the country as well.
What you're describing is some kind of imaginary strawman version of cultural relativism, which as far as I am aware is not promoted by anyone, anywhere.

Multiculturalism has been incredibly successful in this country. We've absorbed a huge number of immigrants of a variety of different faiths and cultures with absolute minimum of fuss, and in 99.99% of cases they've integrated fantastically well into the community.

I speak as someone who has lived in several extremely culturally diverse (currently white minority) communities and seen first hand how successfully each new wave of immigrants has integrated with the rest of the community. Statistics suggest that this is the case across the rest of the country as well.

Which statistics?
Which statistics?

The ones what I have seen related to this here discussion.
The ones what I have seen related to this here discussion.

It would be nice to see those statistics.

How do explain the Rotheram issue and other issues that are entirely I sufficiently dealt with by the government concerning immigrant groups. For example issues in the Pakistani community such as the marriage of young girls to Middle aged or fgm amongst Middle Eastern and African communities?
Reply 10
multiculturalism was always going to cause tensions
It would be nice to see those statistics.

How do explain the Rotheram issue and other issues that are entirely I sufficiently dealt with by the government concerning immigrant groups. For example issues in the Pakistani community such as the marriage of young girls to Middle aged or fgm amongst Middle Eastern and African communities?

I don't have them to hand. And by "don't have them to hand", I mean I have absolutely no idea where I saw them and can't be bothered searching for them.

Yes, there are isolated pockets of unrest, deliberately provoked by racist organisations like the BNP and then blown out of all proportion by the Daily Mail.

And yes, sometimes awful people do awful things. And sometimes those awful people are white English people, and something they are from the Pakistani community.

The difference is that if they're white English we shrug them of as isolated nutters, but if they're from an ethnic minority community, we think that their actions are symptomatic of the entire community being morally bankrupt and in swift need of deportation or... correctional realignment.
Reply 12
I don;t think multiculturalism has failed. I think white people have failed. In the UK people of many races mix together in harmoney, the one group that fails often and has the greatest objection are white people.

Multiculturalism hasn't failed white people have.
Reply 13
Original post by SickBrah
I don;t think multiculturalism has failed. I think white people have failed. In the UK people of many races mix together in harmoney, the one group that fails often and has the greatest objection are white people.

Multiculturalism hasn't failed white people have.

no way has white people been the failure, im not white myself but they were the ones who tolerated this. the problem has been with cultures from the third world such as pakistani origin people
Reply 14
Original post by sdotd
multiculturalism seems to only happen if white majority countries, you can't see it in countries like india,china or pakistan

It is present in India, hence the number of Cultural conflicts within India.
Reply 15

Multiculturalism is just lots of monocultures in close geographical proximity. The idea that people should be able to do as they please is called liberalism
Reply 16

So you mean when they learn english and find a job and adopt fundamental british values like the equality of the sexes, freedom of speech and that eating bacon doesn't make you evil...?
Original post by 322394
So you mean when they learn english and find a job and adopt fundamental british values like the equality of the sexes, freedom of speech and that eating bacon doesn't make you evil...?

And you think all white british people respect the equality of the sexes and freedom of speech?

Lots of Welsh people don't speak English. Lots of white English people don't have a job. Do you think we should deport all of them as well?
Reply 18
And you think all white british people respect the equality of the sexes and freedom of speech?

Lots of Welsh people don't speak English. Lots of white English people don't have a job. Do you think we should deport all of them as well?

I never said that we shouldn't deport them, I was jsut pointing out that most of them didn't intergrate as well as you seem to think they do. As for the welsh, they would probably benefit from learning english but even counting the welsh, most british people know enough english to get by, most british people of the right at least value the freedom speech that was until recently ours by law and most british people acept that women should have the same rights as men. You failed to address my bacon point by the way, when a third of the population (muslims, jews and vegetarians) think that the other two thirds are bad people (because they eat bacon) it is very bad for social cohesion.

In reality, although our country claims to be multicultural we are not completely tolerant on every single aspect of society. We are not really multicultural despite politicans waving the banners that claim we are. Take for example the 'British values' issue that was on the news recently; extremist muslim ideology is opposed by preferred moderate anglican beliefs.

Quick Reply

Latest