The Student Room Group

The Liverpool FC Thread XII

Scroll to see replies

How is it we didn't manage to sell Borini and Assaidi only went out on loan? :s-smilie:
Original post by manchesterunited15
1 in 27, but he never played up front that year due to RVP staying fit and most of his appearances were off the bench. 1 in 3 the year before that when he did have some games up front

Surely you should be delighted you got £16mil for him?
Original post by Zerforax
Surely you should be delighted you got £16mil for him?

Nah, a lot of us were actually disappointed to see him go. He wouldn't have played with Falcao coming in so I was hoping it was a loan.
Welbeck has potential to be Sturridge-esque is used correctly by Wenger imho.
How is it we didn't manage to sell Borini and Assaidi only went out on loan? :s-smilie:

Wage demands.
Original post by Mackay

"If used correctly by wenger..."

I dunno, sometimes wenger baffles me with his tactics, especially last season.
There's absolutely no doubt he has been an amazing manager (I don't think we'll ever see an undefeated league campaign ever again), but sometimes I feel like he may be a little past it...

Inb4 mauled by arsenal fans.
Original post by Lúcio

There's absolutely no doubt he has been an amazing manager (I don't think we'll ever see an undefeated league campaign ever again), but sometimes I feel like he may be a little past it...

I do agree. His stubborness sets him back, too. He's nowhere near as pragmatic as you need to be to be a top, top coach.
Original post by Mackay
I do agree. His stubborness sets him back, too. He's nowhere near as pragmatic as you need to be to be a top, top coach.

Thank god somebody else actually agrees...

Definitely, he just seems a little inflexible to be, and extremely stubborn as you said.

One interesting thing is that he never seems too bothered with what others are thinking, he doesn't seem to get pressured in to decisions, he just gets on with his job the way he wants to do it.
Not sure if that's good or bad.

I do think finishing 4th this season with no trophy would be pushing it though

He has had great achievements in the past, so you gotta ask yourself why hasn't he repeated anything significant in the last decade (except from an FA cup)?
Original post by Lúcio

Inb4 mauled by arsenal fans.

What of Wenger's tactics baffled you of last season but isn't baffling you now? :sly:
Original post by AR_95
What of Wenger's tactics baffled you of last season but isn't baffling you now? :sly:

That actually a good point.
I'm still baffled by him.

As an arsenal fan, what is your honest opinion on wenger?
Original post by Lúcio
That actually a good point.
I'm still baffled by him.

As an arsenal fan, what is your honest opinion on wenger?

You didn't really answer my question though. What of Wenger's tactics baffled you last season compared to his tactics now?

I'll give my response to yours aftewards
Original post by AR_95
You didn't really answer my question though. What of Wenger's tactics baffled you last season compared to his tactics now?

The way you set up against big teams, particularly in away fixtures.

Even butty was spot on about this, it just doesn't make sense.
Original post by AR_95

i just feel that he was very inflexible and extremely naive.
he could get away with in the smaller games because your quality was too high.

but then in the bigger games where it's an even match?
the game at anfield is the one that comes to mind (no bias:colone:)
he really did not set up his defence as he should've - i know we were excellent and pressed quite high up the pitch, but such a relitavely slow defence with a pretty high line against one of the quickest, most clinical teams in the league?

i just feel that sometimes he doesn't have a clue, but other times he gets it spot on.
Reply 1633
Original post by The.Joker
2 weeks till our CL game at Anfield!!!! :excited:

I honestly can't wait for the game, we've been out of the CL for far too long. God the atmosphere at Anfield will no doubt be amazing. :awesome:

just a shame it's against Ludgoremsokalktrannypee
Original post by Lúcio
i just feel that he was very inflexible and extremely naive.
he could get away with in the smaller games because your quality was too high.

but then in the bigger games where it's an even match?
the game at anfield is the one that comes to mind (no bias:colone:)
he really did not set up his defence as he should've - i know we were excellent and pressed quite high up the pitch, but such a relitavely slow defence with a pretty high line against one of the quickest, most clinical teams in the league?

i just feel that sometimes he doesn't have a clue, but other times he gets it spot on.

Original post by Endless Blue
The way you set up against big teams, particularly in away fixtures.

Even butty was spot on about this, it just doesn't make sense.

The tactics were pretty much the same the majority of the season bar a few games where we decided to play 4-3-3 or park bus. I wouldn't call an experienced manager naive though, more so stubborn to change. The Liverpool game it self should have been enough indication to stop our back line from pushing up so much together, but apparently not. My biggest fear was that it would continue into this season and so far it has. Everton, Besiktas and Leicester City have all caught us exposed on the break so far but only because of how poor the latter two's finishing are, we've been let off. I'm not sure why he does it. I think it's because we struggle to play our own possession game as it is so brings up the centre backs for support, which works in the smaller games but backfires against stronger teams.

Wenger is latched onto his pride and will refuse to park bus against our rivals. Our defence is more than capable of doing so which is frustrating too. What's even more painful is that he's persisting with this new 4-1-4-1 formation which really hasn't worked (bar the Charity shield match vs City which hardly counts). He's also got an unhealthy obsession with playing players in their wrong position, especially Ozil on the far left of the four when he's clearly stated he'd prefer a central role, or at least to the right?

As you asked about my opinion on him, I'm Wenger out but not entirely for the same reasons as most people are. Everyone is shouting for a new ST and DM (which would move the squad forward) but the problems with Arsenal are much more deep rooted and complicated then that.
Reply 1635
Original post by Mackay

It's kinda hard for Wenger to use him incorrectly tbh, considering they have no other strikers. He'll play up front and be able to create space for players like Ramsey, as well as being able to get in behind the oppositions defence. I don't think he'll be at Sturridge's level, but I do think he will do well.
Original post by cBay
just a shame it's against Ludgoremsokalktrannypee

Stay classy :u:
Reply 1637
Original post by AR_95
Stay classy :u:

Coincidence. I was just putting random letters in because I didn't know how to spell it.

I heard he was demanding £90k per week from QPR. Ridiculous really.
Original post by sr90
I heard he was demanding £90k per week from QPR. Ridiculous really.

90k a week ridiculous? :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Rooney on 320k is ridiculous :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest