The Student Room Group

Is Religious Studies a level hard? Should I do it??

In particular Edexcel. But Iv got quite a different problem in year 11 I did as level RE and I got a B in it I wanted to take it on to A2 but I would really want to take it onto A2 only with an A and my new college dont offer it. They said I can do RE again from the start but it'll be completely different. Should I do this? If I do them my B becomes insignificant and it was more or less a waste of time or should I do another a level because then that'll look better that I done quite a lot. If I dont do RE I'll do Psychology. My other options are English Lit, History and Sociology
Original post by Tj789
In particular Edexcel. But Iv got quite a different problem in year 11 I did as level RE and I got a B in it I wanted to take it on to A2 but I would really want to take it onto A2 only with an A and my new college dont offer it. They said I can do RE again from the start but it'll be completely different. Should I do this? If I do them my B becomes insignificant and it was more or less a waste of time or should I do another a level because then that'll look better that I done quite a lot. If I dont do RE I'll do Psychology. My other options are English Lit, History and Sociology

I'm guessing the new college has a different exam board for Religious Studies, right? What you can do is submit a form to transfer your AS grade over to the different exam board so you can continue it to A2.

I'm not sure on the details so you'll have to do some research but it can be done and would save you from having to start a whole new subject from scratch (unless of course, you didn't really enjoy R.S and in that case do what you want).
Reply 3
Original post by Comeback
I'm guessing the new college has a different exam board for Religious Studies, right? What you can do is submit a form to transfer your AS grade over to the different exam board so you can continue it to A2.

I'm not sure on the details so you'll have to do some research but it can be done and would save you from having to start a whole new subject from scratch (unless of course, you didn't really enjoy R.S and in that case do what you want).

Really can I actually do that? I did AQA RS in year 11 and my new college offer edexcel so if I do that I can go straight into A2 RS with Edexcel??
Original post by Tj789
Really can I actually do that? I did AQA RS in year 11 and my new college offer edexcel so if I do that I can go straight into A2 RS with Edexcel??

Yes, of course! :smile:

You will need to take this form (either printed or sent via email) to the exams officer of your new college and they will be able to sort it out for you (I'd recommend meeting them in person in case they need to ask you for details).

Your AS will be carried over to Edexcel so yes you can continue on to A2.
Reply 5
Yes, of course! :smile:

You will need to take this form (either printed or sent via email) to the exams officer of your new college and they will be able to sort it out for you (I'd recommend meeting them in person in case they need to ask you for details).

Your AS will be carried over to Edexcel so yes you can continue on to A2.

I did not know that, tanx for telling me. But do you think a B for as level is good? Is it worth carrying it on?
Original post by Tj789
I did not know that, tanx for telling me. But do you think a B for as level is good? Is it worth carrying it on?

A B is very good! You could theoretically get an A* so you must focus all your attention on your A2 studies.

Think about it like this, I got a D for AS Biology, carried it onto A2 (teachers thought I was crazy) and pulled it upto a B.

You have a great shot at getting an A or A* if you work hard :smile:
Reply 7
A B is very good! You could theoretically get an A* so you must focus all your attention on your A2 studies.

Think about it like this, I got a D for AS Biology, carried it onto A2 (teachers thought I was crazy) and pulled it upto a B.

You have a great shot at getting an A or A* if you work hard :smile:

Wow well done on Biology! I just hope my school lets me switch exam boards my exam officer was going on like there was no hope in hell for me to carry on A2, he didnt even tell I can transfer my grade!
I do Edexcel RS! It is a nice course (depending on modules) and the investigation is fun! :smile:
Original post by Tj789
Wow well done on Biology! I just hope my school lets me switch exam boards my exam officer was going on like there was no hope in hell for me to carry on A2, he didn't even tell I can transfer my grade!

I hear people have this problem all the time. I don't think all schools even know about it!
Reply 10
I hear people have this problem all the time. I don't think all schools even know about it!

Can my school refuse to let me switch?
Original post by Tj789
Can my school refuse to let me switch?

Do you mean your old or new school? Your old school can't do anything to stop you switching I don't think. Your new one can refuse to let you switch (although I'm not sure why they would, considering a B grade is good and will boost their position of the school league table rankings).

You'll have to speak to the exams officer of the place you'll now be studying to find out for sure (if they have no idea what you're talking about, make sure you show them the transfer form).
Reply 12
Do you mean your old or new school? Your old school can't do anything to stop you switching I don't think. Your new one can refuse to let you switch (although I'm not sure why they would, considering a B grade is good and will boost their position of the school league table rankings).

You'll have to speak to the exams officer of the place you'll now be studying to find out for sure (if they have no idea what you're talking about, make sure you show them the transfer form).

Ok that sounds good! Tanx so much again and yh I did mean my new school. :smile:
This is a late reply, but for anyone else who is currently wondering about this, I have a response. I failed all but three of my GCSE'S (Art, Physical Education and Maths)RPE, I refused to sit the exam and received a U grade! I didn't really make the most of school to be honest.Anyway, after spending a year at art college, and getting my life on track, I decided to do A levels. I chose Religious Studies(OCR), Sociology(AQA) and Fine Art(AQA). Judging by my GCSE'S, I should have failed at A level. My GCSE score, over all, came to a mere 3.8.Anyway, I ended up finishing A levels with a set of decent grades. RS(A*), Sociology(A), Fine Art(B). At the end of the day, if you are interested in a subject and willing to put in the work, then you will achieve!Don't sit and make excuses as to why things aren't going the way you planned. Put yourself in a position whereby you don't need to make excuses, because your where you need to be.I got through A levels by thinking about results day. I knew that I wanted to feel that I did my very best, or At least that stupid decisions didn't cause me to fail. (I feel I could have done better as I slacked in Fine Art due to occasional emotional opposition to the subject). But overall I was very pleased.Sociology, in comparison to RS, I found to be quite easy, but the two subjects complimented each other nicely. (Philosophy provided me with the thinking skills which I could then utilise within other subjects).More specifically, in relation to this thread, I found Religious Studies exceedingly difficult in the first year. I wasnt willing to put in the work and this held me back. The highest grade I got during AS was B and this only occurred once as a re-sit. It wasn't until year 2 that I really started to focus on the subject and start thinking things through for myself. I made youtube videos on the topics as a means of revision and this Philosohy eventually turned into a much loved hobby, which I plan to persue further at uni next year. My youtube name is: facio ergo sumI have over 50 videos with a direct link to OCR Religious Studies, including topics from Religion, Philosophy and Ethics. These may help people wanting to revise Philosophy. I also have some essay writing tip videos and high level essay read throughs, which may give you (people who study philosophy) an idea of how to structure essays and piece together ideas synoptically.My best advice for anyone wanting to get a high grade in RS would have to be to make your own YouTube videos or audio of you talking and thinking through the issues for yourself! This worked wonders for me, and I honestly think it was the reason I achieved such a good grade.For anyone wondering about the details of my A level exams, I got an A* in both Philsophy and Ethics, then I was one mark off an A* in developments of Christian thought. I dropped 7 marks in Ethics, 15 marks in Philsophy and 20 marks in DCT. Each paper is out of 120 and the total is 360. So I came out with about 318 overall.That last bit is partially to brag, but also for anyone who's interested in the structure of OCR grade boundaries 2018.Good luck to anyone doing A levels. It's certainly not an easy endeavour, but that's what makes it meaningful. Work hard and you will achieve!
This is a late reply, but for anyone else who is currently wondering about this, I have a response.

I failed all but three of my GCSE'S (Art, Physical Education and Maths)

RPE, I refused to sit the exam and received a U grade! I didn't really make the most of school in any sense...

Anyway, after spending a year at Art College, and getting my life on track, I chose to do A levels. I chose Religious Studies(OCR), Sociology(AQA) and Fine Art(AQA).

Judging by my GCSE'S, I should have failed at A level. My GCSE score, over all, came to a mere 3.8.

Anyway, I ended up finishing A levels with a set of decent grades. RS(A*), Sociology(A), Fine Art(B).

At the end of the day, if you are interested in a subject and willing to put in the work, then you will achieve!

Don't sit and make excuses as to why things aren't going the way you planned. Put yourself in a position whereby you don't need to make excuses, because you're where you need to be.

I got through A levels by thinking about results day. I knew that I wanted to feel that I did my very best, or At least that stupid decisions didn't cause me to fail. (I feel I could have done better as I slacked in Fine Art, due to occasional emotional opposition to the subject). But overall I was very pleased.

Sociology, in comparison to RS, I found to be quite easy, but the two subjects complimented each other nicely. (Philosophy provided me with the thinking skills, which I could then utilise within other subjects).

More specifically, in relation to this thread, I found Religious Studies exceedingly difficult in the first year. I wasn't willing to put in the work and this held me back. The highest grade I got during AS was B and this only occurred once as a re-sit. (This ywar was linier, so thankfully AS grades didn't equate to anything).

It wasn't until year 2 that I really started to focus on the subject and start thinking things through for myself. I made youtube videos on the topics as a means of revision and Philosohy eventually turned into a much loved hobby, which I plan to persue further at uni next year.

My youtube name is: facio ergo sum

I have over 50 videos with a direct link to OCR Religious Studies, including topics from Religion, Philosophy and Ethics.

These may help people wanting to revise Philosophy. I also have some essay writing tip videos and high level essay read throughs, which may give you (people who study philosophy) an idea of how to structure essays and piece together ideas synoptically.

My best advice for anyone wanting to get a high grade in RS would have to be to make your own YouTube videos or audio of you talking and thinking through the issues for yourself! This worked wonders for me, and I honestly think it was the reason I achieved such a good grade.

For anyone wondering about the details of my A level exams, I got an A* in both Philsophy and Ethics, then I was one mark off an A* in Developments of Christian Thought.

I dropped 7 marks in Ethics, 15 marks in Philsophy and 20 marks in DCT. Each paper is out of 120 and the total is 360. So I came out with about 318 overall.

That last bit is partially to brag 😅 but also for anyone who's interested in the structure of OCR grade boundaries 2018.

Try hard and you will achieve. RS is deffinitely a subject I would reccomend! But you have to be willing to put in the extra hours and think things through for yourself.

Quick Reply

Latest