The Student Room Group

Can I get my As level grade transferred to a different exam board?

I got a B at As level with AQA can I transfer it to Edexcel because at my new college they only offer Edexcel?
Reply 1
Original post by Tj789
I got a B at As level with AQA can I transfer it to Edexcel because at my new college they only offer Edexcel?

Generally yes but it depends on the subject. It's called a transfer of credit. The rules are here: http://www.jcq.org.uk/exams-office/entries/gce-entry-information-incltransfer-of-credit

If yoy wnt to re-sit AS units then you have to re-sit AQA units and re-cash in the AQA AS next summer.
Reply 2
Original post by Compost
Generally yes but it depends on the subject. It's called a transfer of credit. The rules are here: http://www.jcq.org.uk/exams-office/entries/gce-entry-information-incltransfer-of-credit

If yoy wnt to re-sit AS units then you have to re-sit AQA units and re-cash in the AQA AS next summer.

I did RS AQA Islam. If I do A2 its completely different it doesnt even contain a religion just Philosophy. What do you think?
Original post by Tj789
I did RS AQA Islam. If I do A2 its completely different it doesnt even contain a religion just Philosophy. What do you think?

It's only an issue if the topics overlap too much. So them being completely different is beneficial if anything.
Reply 4
Original post by Tj789

There is a disadvantage to transferring exam boards. You need to register your transfer with the new exam board by a date in November, and once you do that, you leave the old exam board and can never go back. Therefore you can never resit the AS grade B in an attempt to boost it to a higher grade. You can't resit with the old board because you have left them, and you can't resit the AS with the new board because you never sat the AS with them in the first place.

Not being able to resit would be okay if you can boost your overall A2 grade to an A on the A2 results alone, but if a candidate were hoping to go from, say a D at AS to a B or A at A2, he or she would find that impossible with a transfer.

I think that with a B at AS you are in a good position to get an A at A2 without resitting, but you need to be aware of this rule.
Reply 5
Original post by pushymum
There is a disadvantage to transferring exam boards. You need to register your transfer with the new exam board by a date in November, and once you do that, you leave the old exam board and can never go back. Therefore you can never resit the AS grade B in an attempt to boost it to a higher grade. You can't resit with the old board because you have left them, and you can't resit the AS with the new board because you never sat the AS with them in the first place.

Not being able to resit would be okay if you can boost your overall A2 grade to an A on the A2 results alone, but if a candidate were hoping to go from, say a D at AS to a B or A at A2, he or she would find that impossible with a transfer.

I think that with a B at AS you are in a good position to get an A at A2 without resitting, but you need to be aware of this rule.

If I transfer am I still allowed to get a remark for my as level even when it has been transferred?
@ The Op...Maybe
Reply 7
Original post by Tj789

Ask an RE teacher.
Reply 8
Original post by Tj789
If I transfer am I still allowed to get a remark for my as level even when it has been transferred?

Actually, forget what I just said. It looks as if I was wrong.

When we applied to a new sixth form mid-study, at the interview in May 2005 we were told that my son would not be able to resit his AS from the original board, once he had transferred to the new board. The Head of Sixth form said he had checked this and this was the case. We took his word.

We reluctantly decided to decline the place he offered at that very nice school, because it was not in my son's interests not to be able to resit.

However, a poster in this thread posted the link to the rules, and I have just read them for myself. They say something quite different:

"Where a candidate wishes to re-sit AS units, the centre must submit the JCQ Transfer of Credit form -
http://www.jcq.org.uk/exams-office/entries/gce-entry-information-incltransfer-of-credit by no later
than 21 October 2014. The centre must indicate on the form the series, i.e. June 2015,
in which the AS units will be taken.
Where a candidate re-sits AS units with the original awarding body, after AS
certification in a previous examination series, he/she must claim their AS award(s)
again. This will ensure that the best total uniform mark will be available for transfer."

This means that resits of the AS level with the original board can be taken. I need to speak to this sixth form again, urgently!

Back to your original question:

You can transfer subject to approval from the new board. Transfers are not guaranteed. Each candidate needs to apply individually to each new board, giving details of what was studied for each AS with the old board. The new board wishes to ascertain that you will not be overlapping the content of AS from the old board to A2 at the new board. For example, you would not be allowed to have studied The Tempest for English Literature AS with the old board, and study the same text for A2 with the new board.

Transfers are not allowed for the IB or for CIE:

"It is not possible to transfer components from an International Baccalaureate qualification.

Similarly, it is not possible to transfer a completed AS qualification as awarded by Cambridge
International Examinations (CIE)."
Reply 9

This is simply not true - please read the rules. It is perfectly possible to re-sit AS units with the AS exam board and have them transferred to the overall A level. The only slight downside is that the advice says this may delay publication of your A level grade, though in my experience it never has.
Original post by Tj789

The deadline for applying for a re-mark is 20 September, the deadline for applying for a transfer is 21 October, so it is not an issue.
Reply 11
Original post by Tj789

The Edexcel A2 specification says that for unit 3, you must choose at least two of the nine areas. Islam is one of the nine areas:

A2 Unit 3: Religious Studies Developments *Unit code 6RS03
„ Externally assessed
„ Availability: June

50% of the total A2 marks

25% of the total GCE marks

Content summary:
This unit has been designed to build on the knowledge, understanding and skills
developed in Unit 1: Religious Studies Foundations. It is made up of the following
areas of study:
„ Area A: Philosophy of Religion
„ Area B: Ethics
„ Area C: Buddhism
„ Area D: Christianity
„ Area E: Hinduism
„ Area F: Islam
„ Area G: Judaism
„ Area H: Sikhism
„ Area I: New Testament.
Students must study at least two of these nine areas.
Philosophy of Religion in this unit comprises further study of philosophical arguments
about the existence of God and selected problems in the philosophy of religion. Ethics
comprises further study of ethical concepts and problems. For each of the religions,
students explore developments and expansion and selected concepts and set texts. For
New Testament, students explore theology and Christology and selected concepts and
set texts.

Assessment:
This unit is assessed by an external examination of 1 hour and 45 minutes.
Candidates must answer three questions from a choice of 18. Candidates must study
at least two of the nine areas within this unit. All the questions set for this unit require
extended writing.
Reply 12
Actually, forget what I just said. It looks as if I was wrong.

When we applied to a new sixth form mid-study, at the interview in May 2005 we were told that my son would not be able to resit his AS from the original board, once he had transferred to the new board. The Head of Sixth form said he had checked this and this was the case. We took his word.

We reluctantly decided to decline the place he offered at that very nice school, because it was not in my son's interests not to be able to resit.

However, a poster in this thread posted the link to the rules, and I have just read them for myself. They say something quite different:

"Where a candidate wishes to re-sit AS units, the centre must submit the JCQ Transfer of Credit form -
http://www.jcq.org.uk/exams-office/entries/gce-entry-information-incltransfer-of-credit by no later
than 21 October 2014. The centre must indicate on the form the series, i.e. June 2015,
in which the AS units will be taken.
Where a candidate re-sits AS units with the original awarding body, after AS
certification in a previous examination series, he/she must claim their AS award(s)
again. This will ensure that the best total uniform mark will be available for transfer."

This means that resits of the AS level with the original board can be taken. I need to speak to this sixth form again, urgently!

Back to your original question:

You can transfer subject to approval from the new board. Transfers are not guaranteed. Each candidate needs to apply individually to each new board, giving details of what was studied for each AS with the old board. The new board wishes to ascertain that you will not be overlapping the content of AS from the old board to A2 at the new board. For example, you would not be allowed to have studied The Tempest for English Literature AS with the old board, and study the same text for A2 with the new board.

Transfers are not allowed for the IB or for CIE:

"It is not possible to transfer components from an International Baccalaureate qualification.

Similarly, it is not possible to transfer a completed AS qualification as awarded by Cambridge
International Examinations (CIE)."

Ok that was a great help. Im glad my post (if it even did) made you realise the actual facts and now you have a chance to get what you originally wanted, so even if I dont at least this thread did some good haha
Reply 13
I've read the rules and I realise that my original information was wrong. I have corrected this, and my post is being moderated.
Reply 14
I've read the rules and I realise that my original information was wrong.

My first ever post here! How embarrassing.
Reply 15

Dont worry I've made loads of embarrassing posts but lol yours wasnt even actually embarrassing you helped me in the end. If you want to delete or edit that post click on the "edit" button below the post :smile:
Reply 16
Original post by Tj789
Ok that was a great help. Im glad my post (if it even did) made you realise the actual facts and now you have a chance to get what you originally wanted, so even if I dont at least this thread did some good haha

Your first post has been a great help! Thanks!

No problem. Great that you took the time to read the rules and understand them. (If i wasn't too old for emoticons I might use on here).

Quick Reply

Latest