The Student Room Group

PGCE - Current Students Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Esmeralda4
I start tomorrow. Getting seriously nervous now!!

Me too! Argh! Well, induction day tomorrow, then first proper day Thursday. Which course are you on?
Original post by MissAlwaysWright
Me too! Argh! Well, induction day tomorrow, then first proper day Thursday. Which course are you on?

PGCE Primary (5-11) at Derby. You?
PGCE Primary (5-11) at Derby. You?

Secondary English (11-18) :smile: at Chester. Just got here today, can't wait to get stuck in.
Secondary English (11-18) :smile: at Chester. Just got here today, can't wait to get stuck in.

Cool, good luck! I did my degree in English. Not sure I could teach secondary though, go you!
Cool, good luck! I did my degree in English. Not sure I could teach secondary though, go you!

Oh did you, me too (obviously) 🙈
More lit based than lang, but high school language isn't all that challenging compared to when it's at degree level! I feel the same about primary, I'm absolutely rubbish with the little ones, and if the tears n snot starts running I just can't cope! Best of luck I'm sure you'll be great! 😊👍
Oh did you, me too (obviously)
More lit based than lang, but high school language isn't all that challenging compared to when it's at degree level! I feel the same about primary, I'm absolutely rubbish with the little ones, and if the tears n snot starts running I just can't cope! Best of luck I'm sure you'll be great!

Haha. Sounds like we are both going into teaching the right age group for us!
Good luck to you both! I'm starting on the 15th so I look forward to seeing how it goes for you. I've got a pre-course placement that starts tomorrow.
I'm starting my secondary PGCE in Chemistry in two weeks.
Any of the "Been-there-done-that" lot on here got any advice? Any tips would be much appreciated!
Original post by Chrissi86
Good luck to you both! I'm starting on the 15th so I look forward to seeing how it goes for you. I've got a pre-course placement that starts tomorrow.
Thanks Chrissi, a pre-course placement sounds like a good ice breaker, what route are you on?. I can't wait to get back in the classroom and shake off these nerves! :smile:
Hopefully anyway ha.
Original post by ChelseaYvonne
I'm starting my secondary PGCE in Chemistry in two weeks.
Any of the "Been-there-done-that" lot on here got any advice? Any tips would be much appreciated!

What's worrying you?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by myblueheaven339
What's worrying you?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm not sure tbh.
I felt fine all summer and was really looking forward to it, then just started panicking like a crazy lady last night with visions of evil children throwing text books at me.

Also, I'd just like some advice on how everyone coped with the stress and intensity of the course and how you stayed on top of the work load.
I'd just like some advice on how everyone coped with the stress and intensity of the course and how you stayed on top of the work load.

You manage the workload one tiny step at a time. As long as you're ready for tomorrow (or sometimes today!) then don't beat yourself up about it.

I think as long as you go in expecting to have no free time and be stressed as hell, then you can only be pleasantly surprised.

On a practical front, I found it really helpful to stock up on daily essentials before things got busy, so I knew I never needed to worry about running out of deodorant or whatnot when I felt like I had NO TIME to go to Tesco. I probably did have time for that, to be fair, but it's no use being told that when you feel like your workload is an Everest-like mountain staring you in the face.
Thanks Chrissi, a pre-course placement sounds like a good ice breaker, what route are you on?. I can't wait to get back in the classroom and shake off these nerves! :smile:
Hopefully anyway ha.

PGCE Primary! :smile:
I'm starting my PGCE on Monday. Feeling very nervous now :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm not sure tbh.
I felt fine all summer and was really looking forward to it, then just started panicking like a crazy lady last night with visions of evil children throwing text books at me.

Also, I'd just like some advice on how everyone coped with the stress and intensity of the course and how you stayed on top of the work load.

It's natural to feel nervous. Children are for the most part very good and are keen to do well. What age range and subject are you training for?

I used my commuting time for reading but for the blocks of time I was at uni I tended to do most of my work at the weekends. Things were better once I was on placement as it was nearer home. I worked in the evenings during the week and tried to have Friday nights and Saturdays off.

You will always feel like there is more you can do, but remember to take time for yourself and relax. I still sometimes feel guilty when I'm not working, but you have to remember that there is only so much you can do. I used to take lots of work home with me, but in hindsight I wish I had worked more at the schools and taken less home.

Best of luck, feel free to ask any more questions.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by gemmam
I'm starting my PGCE on Monday. Feeling very nervous now :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I hope it goes okay! I start a week on Monday and the nerves are there for me already. Hopefully we'll all settle in soon!
Original post by Chrissi86
I hope it goes okay! I start a week on Monday and the nerves are there for me already. Hopefully we'll all settle in soon!

Thanks, I hope it goes ok for you too. Its FE I will be teaching.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by gemmam
Thanks, I hope it goes ok for you too. Its FE I will be teaching.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Further education?

Posted from TSR Mobile

What subject if you don't mind me asking?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending