The Student Room Group

Leicester University Medicine 2015 entry scoring.

Hey,

I was wondering if anyone had any idea what kind of score would be competative enough to guarenteee an interview at Leicester, based on previous years? :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by _thequeen
Hey,

I was wondering if anyone had any idea what kind of score would be competative enough to guarenteee an interview at Leicester, based on previos years? :-)

Having a look/ask in this thread might be useful for you: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2434173 :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Beska
Having a look/ask in this thread might be useful for you: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2434173 :smile:

Thanks! It kinda sucks they changed the scoring, because make's it really hard to know where you're at.
Original post by _thequeen
Hey,

I was wondering if anyone had any idea what kind of score would be competative enough to guarenteee an interview at Leicester, based on previous years? :smile:

For 2014 entry, the top mark was 60 points. This was made from:
GCSE 6 X 'A*'
AS 3 X 'A'
UKCAT 3000

For 2015 entry, the above academic profile only merits a mark of 63 (out of 68)
Bearing in mind, that UKCAT requirements are likely to increase again and that the number selected for interview is being reduced by a third,
I'd bet that a score of at least 64 is needed to get above the cutoff.
I think a score of 65 will be safe enough

Why?
- Only 500 interviews or so
- the PS is not really used at Leicester for ranking.
- Thousands of applicants will have the max GCSE/AS score
- Anyone with a UKCAT above 3000 will be putting Leicester down

Leicester is effectively ranking by UKCAT now because for Leicester, the academics have effectively become "standard" achievements for every med applicants.

in the short time, I have been looking at med school stuff, I am shocked at how each year the bar has risen. I suspect that 2015 is going to have a large number of extremely qualified re-applicants - competing with school leavers who have harder A levels (no resits)
(edited 9 years ago)
Hi guys,

Do you think it would be worth applying to Leicester Medical School? I absolutely fell in love with it. I have 6 A*s, 2 As and a distinction in ICT at GCSE. I have an A in biology and chemistry, and a B in maths and physics at AS. I got a UKCAT score of 2530. I think I have 57 points. Would it be worth it?

Thank you :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by ashcariba17
Hi guys,

Do you think it would be worth applying to Leicester Medical School? I absolutely fell in love with it. I have 6 A*s, 2 As and a distinction in ICT at GCSE. I have an A in biology and chemistry, and a B in maths and physics at AS. I got a UKCAT score of 2530. I think I have 57 points. Would it be worth it?

Yes you should! You have strong academics and it's an excellent medical school - best of luck :smile:
Original post by 2018
Yes you should! You have strong academics and it's an excellent medical school - best of luck :smile:

Thank you so much! Are you a student there? :smile:
I have got 11A*, 5As at As and am predicted all A* at A2 , however, my UKCAT was very poor of an average
of 2530. Should I apply??
Original post by AsianBeauty
I have got 11A*, 5As at As and am predicted all A* at A2 , however, my UKCAT was very poor of an average

Those grades are well above average and so should make up for a poorer UKCAT. The average UKCAT mark fluctuates; some years it has been as low as 2500 - 2600 so it is still definitely worth applying! HAve you any extracurricular activities or work experience?
Im thinking of applying with a score of 32+27 so 59, but im not sure if thats a big risk or not :L
Original post by Jaska
Im thinking of applying with a score of 32+27 so 59, but im not sure if thats a big risk or not :L

It probably is fairly risky but it's hard to say. Averages have gone down this year but Leicester may still attract the high scorers due to its scoring system. Depends on how risky your other options are as well, if they're risky I wouldn't apply to Leicester as well.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by AsianBeauty

Original post by ashcariba17
Hi guys,

I don't think so. practically everyone applying to leicester gets the full 34/34 for academics, your UKCAT isn't high enough to be competitive:frown:
Hi guys I would have a score of 60.5
what do you think of my chances at Leicester.
My phone won't let me access the link for scorings, so could someone please explain briefly how the scores are calculated?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by legend4lyf
Hi guys I would have a score of 60.5
what do you think of my chances at Leicester.

I would say pretty good as I have an interview there in December and got 60.5 points. The reason why people are getting lower scores /68 is because of the low UKCAT scores
Original post by adamwhurt
I would say pretty good as I have an interview there in December and got 60.5 points. The reason why people are getting lower scores /68 is because of the low UKCAT scores

Thanks a lot
Wish I applied here now

Posted from TSR Mobile
Mate got interview with 670ish ukcat ABBB at AS and 1A* 4As.. etc at gcse. Heads up

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending