The Student Room Group

The Football League thread II

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Midlander
Maybe the goings on at my club have made me all too paranoid about off field antics but I wouldn't totally ignore it. Although with the PL rewarding failure like never before I think you should be alright.

Doesn't bother me honestly. If we go into administration the fans will save the club like Portsmouth's did and we dust ourselves down and go again in whatever league we're in. What league we're in doesn't matter to me. I support my hometown team through thick and thin and that's all there is to it :biggrin:
Original post by Jαмes B
Doesn't bother me honestly. If we go into administration the fans will save the club like Portsmouth's did and we dust ourselves down and go again in whatever league we're in. What league we're in doesn't matter to me. I support my hometown team through thick and thin and that's all there is to it :biggrin:

I'm sure we'd all prefer to be in higher leagues though :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm sure we'd all prefer to be in higher leagues though :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Of course. I'd be lying if I said that isn't true.
Original post by Jαмes B
I'm a Cardiff City fan who is aware of good players on the continent. He's been in team of the week numerous times for FC Lorient. I'm happy that we've bought him. He's the strong commanding defender we need.

Had you heard of him before you were linked with him though?
Original post by Scott129
Had you heard of him before you were linked with him though?

Yes. To be honest I believe he's too good for us. He's Premier League level to be fair.
Sky Blues returning home tonight, full house anticipated. Excited!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Sky Blues returning home tonight, full house anticipated. Excited!

Posted from TSR Mobile

A wonderful night for you and all those associated with the club. I imagine there were a fair few emotions in and around the Ricoh tonight!
Original post by ra-ra-ra
A wonderful night for you and all those associated with the club. I imagine there were a fair few emotions in and around the Ricoh tonight!

Sadly I could only watch it on Sky from my exile in Scotland but my brother was able to go. We should never have been in the position of celebrating just playing in our own city but tonight has shown that people's passion hasn't wavered in the time at Sixfields.

The Sky commentators said we've been through a lot over the last few years. In reality it's been crap for at least a decade-here's hoping that this, at last, is the turning point.
With no Premier League or Championship games today due to the international break, is anyone taking part in non-league day?

Apart from the reduced entry that's going on at most places, some teams are offering free scarves, free mushrooms, paying fans 5p on the turnstile and even the prospect of Ronaldinho signing for Basingstoke Town.
Can't stand the international breaks. :eviltongue:
Nearly an embarrassment against Alfreton. Barnet still top of the conference.
Original post by brocklehurst95
With no Premier League or Championship games today due to the international break, is anyone taking part in non-league day?

Apart from the reduced entry that's going on at most places, some teams are offering free scarves, free mushrooms, paying fans 5p on the turnstile and even the prospect of Ronaldinho signing for Basingstoke Town.

Sign of the times that more non-league clubs are embracing the 'we'll pay you to come' idea. Things like non-league day are great but as long as the majority are sitting in their plastic Man City/Chelsea/Arsenal shirts the clubs who need their attendance far more won't get it.
Sadly I could only watch it on Sky from my exile in Scotland but my brother was able to go. We should never have been in the position of celebrating just playing in our own city but tonight has shown that people's passion hasn't wavered in the time at Sixfields.

The Sky commentators said we've been through a lot over the last few years. In reality it's been crap for at least a decade-here's hoping that this, at last, is the turning point.

Exactly, it should never have got to that position where a fan is forced to travel away from their own city to watch their club 30+ miles away. I know this doesn’t fix all your problems but returning to the Ricoh is certainly a step in the right direction for you guys.

Although our (Wrexham) circumstances do differ slightly to yours, we too have gone through the mill of things over the past decade so I can sympathise with you as it’s horrible seeing the club you’ve grown up with go through all the crap that it has done. As a fan there is only so much you can do too. There is still a long way for us to go but this season is our first season where things off the pitch seem to be heading along the right path, so hopefully for you it will begin to do the same too. I think we both deserve to have some good times ahead!
Original post by ra-ra-ra
Exactly, it should never have got to that position where a fan is forced to travel away from their own city to watch their club 30+ miles away. I know this doesn’t fix all your problems but returning to the Ricoh is certainly a step in the right direction for you guys.

Although our (Wrexham) circumstances do differ slightly to yours, we too have gone through the mill of things over the past decade so I can sympathise with you as it’s horrible seeing the club you’ve grown up with go through all the crap that it has done. As a fan there is only so much you can do too. There is still a long way for us to go but this season is our first season where things off the pitch seem to be heading along the right path, so hopefully for you it will begin to do the same too. I think we both deserve to have some good times ahead!

We might not get promoted this season at the Ricoh but we'd have done well to stay up for another season at Sixfields. The club seems to have found ways to shoot itself in the foot for years and hasn't competed on a level footing with other sides for a long time. Going back to the Ricoh on revised terms hopefully marks the end of that. A city of 320,000 with access to lots in the surrounding areas could easily support top flight football once again. It shouldn't be languishing in the third division.

As for Wrexham, since we signed Andy Morrell I'd always kept an eye on how they've been doing. I don't know a lot of the specifics there but to go from League 1 to established Conference in a decade does speak for itself. Clubs like that don't belong in the non-league but with the Conference such a strong division these days and with just 2 promotion spots it's a tough job getting out of it if you don't go right back up.

Can't say I'm ecstatic for you though, hiring Kevin Wilkin from my local non league club Nuneaton seems to have them buggered :tongue:
We might not get promoted this season at the Ricoh but we'd have done well to stay up for another season at Sixfields. The club seems to have found ways to shoot itself in the foot for years and hasn't competed on a level footing with other sides for a long time. Going back to the Ricoh on revised terms hopefully marks the end of that. A city of 320,000 with access to lots in the surrounding areas could easily support top flight football once again. It shouldn't be languishing in the third division.

As for Wrexham, since we signed Andy Morrell I'd always kept an eye on how they've been doing. I don't know a lot of the specifics there but to go from League 1 to established Conference in a decade does speak for itself. Clubs like that don't belong in the non-league but with the Conference such a strong division these days and with just 2 promotion spots it's a tough job getting out of it if you don't go right back up.

Can't say I'm ecstatic for you though, hiring Kevin Wilkin from my local non league club Nuneaton seems to have them buggered :tongue:

Well you’ve already won one battle with getting your ground back and you’ve had a fairly decent start to the season so I wouldn’t brush off promotion just yet, it’s still very early days. A bit like what you’ve touched on, surely it’s got to help now you’re back in Coventry too? Hopefully you will be back up there soon though!

Now you’ve mentioned him I don’t know why I’m wishing you to do so well because Andy Morrell leaving to join you guys broke my little heart back in 2003! He was my favourite Wrexham player as a youngster (along with Darren Ferguson and Mark McGregor I shall add), but especially for the promotion winning season to the second division where he was scoring for fun back in 2002-03! I can’t express how devastated I was when he left but... he came back! :biggrin:

Haha I know, Nuneaton haven’t started life without Wilkin (or Wes York or Louis Moult or even Gary Mills for that matter) very well. I’m quite a fan of this ex-Nuneaton bunch! If you may have not gathered from above, I was a huge fan of Andy Morrell so when he became our manager that was it... Andy could do no wrong in my eyes! Admittedly I had a tiny bit of doubt due to having a zero managerial background but one game passed and that was all forgotten about if anyone knew the ins and outs of this club then he was the best man at the current time. He done an alright job and took us to Wembley for our first ever time not once but twice in the same season. So replacing Andy was always going to be a tough ask for anyone to follow in my eyes. But I can’t fault Wilkin so far. From having a clear out (which is what this squad desperately needed),to his signings and to the tactics, he’s made some good decisions for this club already. He also managed to get our Johnny Hunt back from Cambridge on loan until January... and even that alone is enough for me to be a fan of the guy! Sincere apologies to Nuneaton though, but Kevin Wilkin and the rest are ours now! :tongue:
I went to Abbey Hey vs Bootle yesterday but it was always my plan, not just because it was non league day. Sadly they didn't do anything special for it, but the day out was great and had loads of lovely little things happening that sum up why I go to non league matches. As we arrived, about half an hour before kick off, an old geezer in his 70s was painting the lines with a really old machine and he took so long that as the teams were coming out he was still stooped in the centre circle with his grandson hastily finishing the centre spot with a paintbrush.
Original post by Jangrafess
I went to Abbey Hey vs Bootle yesterday but it was always my plan, not just because it was non league day. Sadly they didn't do anything special for it, but the day out was great and had loads of lovely little things happening that sum up why I go to non league matches. As we arrived, about half an hour before kick off, an old geezer in his 70s was painting the lines with a really old machine and he took so long that as the teams were coming out he was still stooped in the centre circle with his grandson hastily finishing the centre spot with a paintbrush.

At least the Bovril will taste the same wherever you are :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Great night for all associated with Coventry the other night. Great to see them get a win, too. Ryan Haynes impressed at left-back and hopefully their return to the Ricoh will inspire the city and the club to reach their full potential. You only have to look at the size of media attention and crowd to see how much the club means to people. Steven Pressley deserves a hell of a lot of credit for sticking with them through thick and thin, too.
Original post by Mackay
Great night for all associated with Coventry the other night. Great to see them get a win, too. Ryan Haynes impressed at left-back and hopefully their return to the Ricoh will inspire the city and the club to reach their full potential. You only have to look at the size of media attention and crowd to see how much the club means to people. Steven Pressley deserves a hell of a lot of credit for sticking with them through thick and thin, too.

Agree entirely. People make light of our crowds but for a club that has achieved so little over such a long time they are to be expected. Young Haynes did impress and Pressley's determination to succeed is really something.

Still big things to address at the back but it feels like the season really started on Friday night.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Agree entirely. People make light of our crowds but for a club that has achieved so little over such a long time they are to be expected. Young Haynes did impress and Pressley's determination to succeed is really something.

Still big things to address at the back but it feels like the season really started on Friday night.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Jim O'Brien and Fleck impressed me, too. Connor Thomas is a bit questionable in the middle - but he's a Coventry kid, isn't he, so it obviously meant a lot for him to be starting. Tudgay was pretty useless - I used to like McQuoid when he was at Bournemouth, surprised he didn't start. But I haven't seen a lot of him over the last year.

Quick Reply

Latest