The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by manchesterunited15
Article on Wenger's love of attacking midfielders: http://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2014/jan/17/arsene-wenger-julian-draxler-arsenal (it's old)

:rofl:

sounds like our pod, can't wait for the instagram pics.
#pod #welbz #blackandwhite #aha
So how's Jenko been doing at West Ham? Haven't even heard anything about him just that he conceded a pen.
Looks like Welbeck will fit right in.
Just look at this, just sickening what a mess. The board almost had to force to him to make the move.

(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Kruz
Just look at this, just sickening what a mess. The board almost had to force to him to make the move.

Cant see much wrong with this in all honesty, Wenger has saved us loads over the years with this kind of attitude when you compare with our rivals who have splashed stupid money around willy nilly.
I have issues with Wenger's transfer policy generally of course, but not when it comes to this kind of frugality, it's in the best interests of AFC.

Given the fact he's an England international, and that it was so late in the window between 2 rivals, £16m is a good price. As others have said, we can always sell him on to a mid table side in a few years if it all goes tits up.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Zürich
Cant see much wrong with this in all honesty, Wenger has saved us loads over the years with this kind of attitude when you compare with our rivals who have splashed stupid money around willy nilly.
I have issues with Wenger's transfer policy generally of course, but not when it comes to this kind of frugality, it's in the best interests of AFC.

i'm sorry what have arsenal won over the last 10 years?
Original post by baconbutty

Not a great deal, but I think we've had a wildly successful decade from a club building perspective.
The ability to actual afford players in the £40m+ price bracket every season is not to be underestimated, which is a direct consequence of the move from Highbury to the Emirates, a project that Arsene Wenger put together in riding the gravy train of CL revenues whilst spending little on players.

End of the day, we're up against the richest club in the world in Utd(who pay their 3 strikers £1m/week in wages alone) and 2 oil clubs. Throw in Liverpool as well. A title every decade would be genuinely about parity in that environment, and with Highbury revenues we'd be lucky to finish 4th.
(edited 9 years ago)
welbeck is injured:nooo:
Original post by Zürich
Not a great deal, but I think we've had a wildly successful decade from a club building perspective.
The ability to actual afford players in the £40m+ price bracket every season is not to be underestimated, which is a direct consequence of the move from Highbury to the Emirates, a project that Arsene Wenger put together in riding the gravy train of CL revenues whilst spending little on players.

End of the day, we're up against the richest club in the world in Utd(who pay their 3 strikers £1m/week in wages alone) and 2 oil clubs. Throw in Liverpool as well. A title every decade would be genuinely about parity in that environment, and with Highbury revenues we'd be lucky to finish 4th.

no im sorry that **** doesnt fly with me don't try and use other clubs resources to justify the failures of arsene wenger theres plenty of money there yet he hasnt improved the squad AGAIN. the players were there as well they've just gone to other clubs. We were genuinley going to have another season of giroud and sanogo until giroud got injured just let that sink in for a minute. Still no DM purchased and going in to the season with 6 SENIOR DEFENDERS. why did wenger let vermaelen go? the mans a ****ing moron the squad is the same one that failed last season
Where does Campbell fit in all this?
Reply 8111
Original post by alittlehelp
Where does Campbell fit in all this?

On the bench
Really should of got Vermaelen repalcement before deadline day! as Wenger see's Chambers as a DM, but overall good window and a brilliant season if we get no injuries hahahaha
When January comes I am expecting a CB and then next summer It would be a dream to get POGBA/Cavalho + REUS/Draxler to replace Arteta and Podolski
Now that we have so much pace at our disposal keeping Ozil on the wing would be absolutely criminal. Has to be playing central attacking midfield.
I don't think Welbeck is too bad of a signning tbh. I'll laugh so hard if he eventually turns out to be the next Henry, remember he was a Juv reject.
Reply 8116
Original post by De Chirico
Now that we have so much pace at our disposal keeping Ozil on the wing would be absolutely criminal. Has to be playing central attacking midfield.

or maybe he should be on the bench?
Everyone knows that when you sign for arsenal you get injured. :wink:
Original post by cBay
or maybe he should be on the bench?

Controversial. Just no more ****ing midfielders on the wings.
Original post by baconbutty

The kind of fans who expect success immediately are also the kind of fans who'd immediately walk away from the club if it fails, and not care about the possibility of administration resulting in costly attempts to achieve goals.
(edited 9 years ago)

Latest