The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1660
Original post by Elm Tree
A friends at school wanted to do engineering at uni. He was even attempting to do physics and further maths outside of school and had a tutor for it but it fell apart towards the end.
He was really passionate about it but his grades stopped him from being able to do it. He definitely deserved a place in the physics class, most of the people in it were playing around for the whole year.
Our own teacher told him he preferred him to others in his class because he would meet with him after school to learn physics while people in class couldn't be asked to stay behind.

He's settling with economics now.

That is sad, there are so many like that, I know aswell. Its a shame because apart from missing the grades most of these people actually have real passion for the subjects they want to study. I try my best to help people like that in my sixth form. A friend of mine came into my sixthform as an external student with one of the lowest grades in the year which wasn't still to bad with AAand8Bs. He struggled at the start but I gave him some advice and we use to stay behind every so often for a hour or so after school to work together, introduced him to some secrets and showed him exam solutions. He came out with ABBCC but I'm sure he would have done a lot worse if he hadnt buckled up as another individual with AAA7Bs at GCSE was kicked out of my sixthform as he gained UUUU

Original post by NikolaT
2 days into Sixth Form and already feeling awful. :frown: In particular M1 is making me feel way out of my depth, all my (Physicist) classmates know what's going on except me.

M1 is hard for everyone at the start, I don't blame you
Doing Physics & M1 certainly helps however I dont think you're at a major disadvantage if you dont do both. With M1 drawing a diagram or a sketch of the scenario helps. eg ball falling down

Draw a ball arrow pointing dowards and start to label what u know eg the distance from where the ball is dropped to the ground etc.

Be careful with m1, everyone tends to make silly mistakes but when you start to get the hang of it, it is by far the most enjoyable part of AS Maths.

However if you're finding it really difficult and do not want to carry on with it as you do not want to pursue a career in Engineering or anything Mechanics related you should let your teacher know early. I'm sure you can be put into an S1 or D1 class if you want.

D1 is the easiest additional subject to do at AS Maths as long as you have a decent memory and are willing to actually learn some of the tougher principles.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Elm Tree
Can't remember off the top of my head but he has to retake the year now

Will he be allowed in physics class now?
Nottingham Univeristy Academy of Science and Technology opening up. So going to apply!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by L'Evil Fish
Will he be allowed in physics class now?

Nope he got a B at GCSE and you need an A.
(edited 9 years ago)
Can't believe this is our last year! It's gone so quick :-(

I'm looking to do Events Management at Leeds Met ( hopefully ).
I got A,B,B,C in my AS results :smile:
Everyone seems concerned about the fact this is our last year in college, but bloody hell, the next three months are going to be horrific; application submissions and interviews are going to beat the **** out of some of us, especially early entry applicants! :biggrin:
Reply 1666
Original post by Doomlar
Everyone seems concerned about the fact this is our last year in college, but bloody hell, the next three months are going to be horrific; application submissions and interviews are going to beat the **** out of some of us, especially early entry applicants! :biggrin:

Hahahah I know right, thats mostly what I'm worried about. My mind keeps thinking, if you don't get any medicine offers and as I am putting UCL Chem Eng as my 5th. The possibilities of getting into UCAS extra is high

I'm plopping it, I have also been super procrastinating everything. UKCAT was meant to be sat 29th Aug postponed it. Personal Statement is half done only done Intro and first paragraph. I'm just full on slacking.

Have you started on your personal statement and what course you looking to apply for?
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by AhmedDavid
Hahahah I know right, thats mostly what I'm worried about. My mind keeps thinking, if you don't get any medicine offers and as I am putting UCL Chem Eng as my 5th. The possibilites of getting into UCAS extra is high

I'm plopping it, I have also been super procrastinating everything. UKCAT was meant to be sat 29th Aug postponed it. Personal Statement is half done only done Intro and first paragraph. I'm just full on slacking.

Have you started on your personal statement and what course you looking to apply for?

I'm a fellow medical applicant! :tongue: See I did that up until a week or two ago and then I found some motivation and wrote my PS, got it checked, and my UKCAT is tomorrow at 2:30pm- I am bricking it oh god :biggrin: I don't even know what to put as a fifth lmfao! Where are you thinking of applying?
Reply 1668
Original post by Doomlar
I'm a fellow medical applicant! :tongue: See I did that up until a week or two ago and then I found some motivation and wrote my PS, got it checked, and my UKCAT is tomorrow at 2:30pm- I am bricking it oh god :biggrin: I don't even know what to put as a fifth lmfao! Where are you thinking of applying?

Ah well done on that, I need to do it too but I want my personal statement to be perfect I have edited my introduction alone so many times its unbelievable. I have 6 different introduction drafts Made a personal statement folder and its like UCAS Personal Statement 1.0, 1.1, 1.2 etc lol :cyber:

Wow good luck with your UKCAT tomorrow, do you think you're prepared enough? and dont be scared you'll be fine :console:

I'm definitely applying to Manchester as I am on their MAP programme.
I was also thinking of Bristol, however I am only sure of Manchester until I get my UKCAT score.

Are you back in college yet & how were your AS results and where are you looking at applying?
Ah well done on that, I need to do it too but I want my personal statement to be perfect I have edited my introduction alone so many times its unbelievable. I have 6 different introduction drafts Made a personal statement folder and its like UCAS Personal Statement 1.0, 1.1, 1.2 etc lol :cyber:

Wow good luck with your UKCAT tomorrow, do you think you're prepared enough? and dont be scared you'll be fine :console:

I'm definitely applying to Manchester as I am on their MAP programme.
I was also thinking of Bristol, however I am only sure of Manchester until I get my UKCAT score.

Are you back in college yet & how were your AS results and where are you looking at applying?

Haha that is what mine looks like! PS01 through PSxx ^_^ I hope I have; as far as the official thread seems to suggest it's not too bad, but thanks for the good luck :smile:

I'm on Liverpool's Scholars Scheme so that's one of my choices, besides that I'm thinking maybe Cambridge, depending when Liverpool get back to me! Other than that I have no idea it's all UKCAT dependent :tongue:

I go back to college on the 8th, which is thankfully after my UKCAT :tongue: I got A*aaa at AS, with the A* in A2 Maths, and the as in AS Biology, Chemistry, and Physics. What about yourself? :smile:
Reply 1670
Original post by Doomlar
Haha that is what mine looks like! PS01 through PSxx ^_^ I hope I have; as far as the official thread seems to suggest it's not too bad, but thanks for the good luck :smile:

I'm on Liverpool's Scholars Scheme so that's one of my choices, besides that I'm thinking maybe Cambridge, depending when Liverpool get back to me! Other than that I have no idea it's all UKCAT dependent :tongue:

I go back to college on the 8th, which is thankfully after my UKCAT :tongue: I got A*aaa at AS, with the A* in A2 Maths, and the as in AS Biology, Chemistry, and Physics. What about yourself? :smile:

Wow you smashed it and what is the Liverpool scholar scheme met some dude at a liverpool hospital event last week that was also on that called yaeya or something pronounced yaya i still cant get it right but yeah he was on that scheme.

I got AABBBB didnt do great I expected better if I'm going to be honest but I'm actually going to work hard for A2. This was in Maths, Chem, Physics, Biology, FMaths, Gen Studies

We could meet at liverpool :wink:
Have you started any interview prep yet?
Wow you smashed it and what is the Liverpool scholar scheme met some dude at a liverpool hospital event last week that was also on that called yaeya or something pronounced yaya i still cant get it right but yeah he was on that scheme.

I got AABBBB didnt do great I expected better if I'm going to be honest but I'm actually going to work hard for A2. This was in Maths, Chem, Physics, Biology, FMaths, Gen Studies

We could meet at liverpool :wink:
Have you started any interview prep yet?

Oh really? I haven't met anyone really at the thing, but it's just a way of getting a guaranteed interview, and a reduced offer :tongue: What's the Manchester MAP scheme? :smile: Those grades are fine, especially if you get high predictions next year :tongue:

Isn't that such a strange thing; it's pretty much inevitable you will meet someone or some people off TSR at university! Does going out and buying a suit today count? :colondollar:
Reply 1672
Original post by Doomlar
Oh really? I haven't met anyone really at the thing, but it's just a way of getting a guaranteed interview, and a reduced offer :tongue: What's the Manchester MAP scheme? :smile: Those grades are fine, especially if you get high predictions next year :tongue:

Isn't that such a strange thing; it's pretty much inevitable you will meet someone or some people off TSR at university! Does going out and buying a suit today count? :colondollar:

Wow thats good, I think MAP is a pretty similar thing. You attend several things aswell as complete an academic assignment and you earn 20 Points of your entry requirement grades aswell as Manchester to only look at you personal statement when inviting you for interview as long as you meet the minimum requirement of 5 grade As at GCSE. AAA Predicted grades. So yeah pretty much a guranteed interview.:giggle:

Haha bought a suit, wow a bit early lol. I read on webistes and watched videos on youtube saying you dont have to wear a suit to an interview but I think they secretly judge you :u:
Wow thats good, I think MAP is a pretty similar thing. You attend several things aswell as complete an academic assignment and you earn 20 Points of your entry requirement grades aswell as Manchester to only look at you personal statement when inviting you for interview as long as you meet the minimum requirement of 5 grade As at GCSE. AAA Predicted grades. So yeah pretty much a guranteed interview.:giggle:

Haha bought a suit, wow a bit early lol. I read on webistes and watched videos on youtube saying you dont have to wear a suit to an interview but I think they secretly judge you :u:

Well I needed one anyway, 'cos the Liverpool interview may very well be very soon! Yeah I had to do an academic assignment as well but I think ours was 40 points off! I don't want to be judged :frown:
I keep thinking how ****ing lucky I am to be able to apply to university in Australia, to a university I like just as much as Cambridge, if not more, after ****ing up the AS grades.

It makes me even angrier at the existence of borders that I'm able to do that just because I have the right passport.
I've already had my first breakdown, and I don't think it will be the last either.
This year is going to be such a mess, I can tell.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey, does anyone know whether oxford gives preference to 5 AS subjects compared to 4? I got AAAA but I didn't do a 5th bc i had some health issues at the end of year 11/start of y12 so I didn't take physics :frown: But, I'm going to be taking 4A2s, so is that alright?
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by radhikagulati
Hey, does anyone know whether oxford gives preference to 5 AS subjects compared to 4? I got AAAA but I didn't do a 5th bc i had some health issues at the end of year 11/start of y12 so I didn't take physics :frown: But, I'm going to be taking 4A2s, so is that alright?

That's fine.
Reply 1678
Original post by blamethenargles
I've already had my first breakdown, and I don't think it will be the last either.
This year is going to be such a mess, I can tell.

Posted from TSR Mobile

:hugs:
I'm here if you want/need anything.
Original post by L'Evil Fish

I find M1 is always made easy with a labelled diagram!:lol:

If I've learnt anything in maths over the last few years, it's draw a god-damn sketch/diagram :lol:

Latest