The Student Room Group

The Liverpool FC Thread XII

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1660
[video="youtube;ZwkBn4DMO8w"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZwkBn4DMO8w[/video]

kinda feel sorry for the guy
Original post by cBay
[video="youtube;ZwkBn4DMO8w"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZwkBn4DMO8w[/video]

He's earned more success in a decade at United than Liverpool have had within that time period.
Reply 1662
Original post by WeOnlyLiveOnce
He's earned more success in a decade at United than Liverpool have had within that time period.

true, still a funny video though.
Original post by cBay
true, still a funny video though.

Yeah it was hilarious, couldn't stop laughing at the start. I don't understand why he underwent a hair transplant, he still looks the same.
Original post by cBay

Haha, hilarious
Original post by sr90
Not entirely true as we've let 16 players leave this summer including loanees. In terms of deadwood Kagawa, Hernandez, Cleverley, Zaha, Buttner, Macheda & Bebe are all off the books, as are Welbeck, Giggs, Ferdinand, Evra and Vidic who were all earning huge wages. There was so much ****e in the squad it was never going to be eradicated in one transfer window, Arsenal took 3-4 years to ditch all of their dross.

As for Welbeck:
Welbeck appearances up front last season:

Welbeck appearances on the wing last season:

His chance conversion rate was equal to Sturridge.

But remember that Welbeck barely takes shots while Sturridge takes long shots and stuff in front of goal. Welbecks chance conversion rate will be lower for sure.
Original post by jam278
But remember that Welbeck barely takes shots while Sturridge takes long shots and stuff in front of goal. Welbecks chance conversion rate will be lower for sure.
They don't tend to count speculative efforts as chances. I read about it yesterday, in both chances and clear cut chances (bit dubious measure regardless) Welbeck was above Sturridge. EPLindex I think although it was only up to March.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Fizzel
They don't tend to count speculative efforts as chances. I read about it yesterday, in both chances and clear cut chances (bit dubious measure regardless) Welbeck was above Sturridge. EPLindex I think although it was only up to March.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hmm, well that's possibly because Welbeck is less likely to go for goal though. Sometimes he may lay it off to a player in a better position instead of Sturridge. Also how many clear cut chances did the two have? Would expect Sturridge to have more, therefore being more likely to cock up.
Original post by jam278
Hmm, well that's possibly because Welbeck is less likely to go for goal though. Sometimes he may lay it off to a player in a better position instead of Sturridge. Also how many clear cut chances did the two have? Would expect Sturridge to have more, therefore being more likely to cock up.

Why? Both would have enough to get reliable results from it.
Original post by jam278
It gets difficult because how they count these is questionable but I don't know if having a go counts as a chance or if a chance passed up counts as missed. I don't think they provided overall numbers only percentages for players with 10+ apps. It's also dubious because a less clinical doesn't really mean much. If you engineer one chance for yourself and score it that's 100%, but 6 chances and only 50% conversion gets you a hat trick.

It's a dodgy stat, but I think the point is the idea Welbeck is a poor converter is a bit of a myth. I pointed it out at the WC going in he'd scored with 50% of his shots in the run before. However as we saw in the PL winning season it would be a great stat if he shot. Think it worked out at less than a shot a game average that season. If anything he's just not aggressive enough and enough of a threat in general. Some really **** shots result in goals, if you don't shoot you can't score. Always a good link between top goal scorers in the league and highest shot takers.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by sr90
Not entirely true as we've let 16 players leave this summer including loanees. In terms of deadwood Kagawa, Hernandez, Cleverley, Zaha, Buttner, Macheda & Bebe are all off the books, as are Welbeck, Giggs, Ferdinand, Evra and Vidic who were all earning huge wages. There was so much ****e in the squad it was never going to be eradicated in one transfer window, Arsenal took 3-4 years to ditch all of their dross.

Ah I was thinking Anderson, Young, Fellani and Nani (who's wages you're still paying). And you had to send Zaha, Hernandez and Cleverly on loan since no one wanted to buy outright.

Guess you have done well to get the squad size down even if it remains unbalanced.

Tl;dr re Welbeck - realised I don't care enough about him :colondollar:
Before all the transfer window dealings, my predictions were:

Man City
Chelsea
Arsenal
Liverpool/Man Utd
Liverpool/Man Utd
Spurs
Everton

Now I would say:

Chelsea
Man City
Arsenal/Liverpool
Arsenal/Liverpool
Man Utd
Everton
Spurs

3rd and 4th will depend on how well Welbeck settles in, injuries and who gets further in the CL this year (whoever gets further will get 4th).

I just think Man Utd will continue to drop silly points and will have a terrible record against the other top teams. The defence is too weak and the attack doesn't even have enough pace to play on the counter (like Chelsea/Liverpool do at times). No point in having a strikeforce of RVP, Falcao and Rooney if you can't dominate the ball/possession down the pitch and get the ball to them. You just know every team will play a 4-2-3-1 to sit on their midfield and track their wingbacks but look to expose their 3 man defence high up the pitch.
Fabio Borini is delighted to remain at Liverpool, hailing an “important decision” after a day when the striker came close to a move away from Anfield only to reject a transfer after failing to agree personal terms elsewhere. He was not the only player whose wage requirements proved a stumbling block on deadline day.

Borini could not reach an agreement with Queens Park Rangers, despite firm interest from Harry Redknapp and with Liverpool accepting an offer of around £10m plus add-ons for the Italian forward. It means he will, for the foreseeable future, remain on the fringes of the first team under Brendan Rodgers rather than accepting a fresh challenge in London.

Borini was also wanted by Gus Poyet at Sunderland, the club where he enjoyed a successful loan spell last season, but that move never materialised.

He is now ranked behind Daniel Sturridge, Mario Balotelli and Rickie Lambert in Liverpool’s pecking order of strikers, yet Borini wrote on Twitter: “I protected the MAN and the player that I am today taking all the responsibility of the situation and for people who didn’t want it and I m VERY happy with myself to have taken such an important decision.”

It is a decision that can be interpreted in either of two ways that Borini is desperate to prove himself at a team on the up and who will be playing Champions League football this season, or that he is staying at Liverpool because no one else can afford his desired wages.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/sep/02/fabio-borini-tom-cleverley-wages-transfer-window

Will Rodgers use him or will Borini be shifted in January?
Borini needs to move on for the good of his career. Players like him and Cleverley should want to play first-team football, not look to protect their wage brackets.
Original post by Mackay
Borini needs to move on for the good of his career. Players like him and Cleverley should want to play first-team football, not look to protect their wage brackets.

Well it looked like Borini was asking for a lot more money from QPR/Sunderland than he currently gets. Even if those clubs had been offering less than what he's currently paid, I'm sure Liverpool would've paid the slight difference.

I think Borini genuinely wants one more shot to prove himself to Rodgers (which he can't do on loan or if he transfers away from the club).

Still only 23, so he's got time to move to a club like QPR or Sunderland next summer?
Original post by Zerforax
Ah I was thinking Anderson, Young, Fellani and Nani (who's wages you're still paying). And you had to send Zaha, Hernandez and Cleverly on loan since no one wanted to buy outright.

Cleverley was in the same situation as Borini - clubs wanted him, but his ridiculous wage demands ruined any potential deal. I think he just wants to run his contract down so he can pick up a huge signing on fee and have a much wider choice of teams. He probably thinks he belongs in the Champions League like Moyes :rolleyes:

Fellaini was all set to move to Napoli until he got injured.
Liverpool fans...:biggrin:

Dear Mario,
In this crazy world we live in, someone you've never heard of or will probably never meet, feels, as a Liverpool fan, that its ok to write to you on an internet page to say welcome. But here I am, and there you are, somewhere, preparing for the Spurs game today.

But I'm writing this with real meaning when I say welcome, because you are now at a club that is different, and a club where the fans genuinely care about their team. Now I'm quite sure every fan of any team would say that, but at Liverpool, you're not just a player, you a Liverpool player and that means you're part of our family. You are now one of us, and you are now family (you're welcome round for tea anytime mate).

Welcome to a bond with a set of fans that will not just sing your name, but look out for you, welcome to a ground where the feeling is different, a sense of history, family and warmth, of times shared and where the outside world and press are invited in but never truly part of it, welcome to a place, a sense of place, a culture that sets us apart from the rest of them.

I've read about your upbringing, it must be very odd to have your everyday shared with millions, your history available for analysis and comment by strangers, and then to be called 'crazy' by these people who haven't a clue. They are the crazy folk, they are the ones who think its ok to write about other people as if they are professional pyschologists, mind readers and judges of character. Not you.

Well, welcome to a club that sets apart from that world. Liverpool is a club that does it differently, where the emotions are heartfelt not invented, the flags are fabric not plastic and the noise deafeningly sincere.

Liverpool's great players have all been special, and different and gifted and marvellous to watch, and all of them acknowledge the club has a special place in their hearts. You are brilliant at your job, wonderful to watch, and you arriving here has made a lot of people excited. You have the gift of creating emotion in men's hearts, that's the real meaning of football, and I hope I speak for all Liverpool fans when I say, have the best time of your life here, have a great career and score lots of goals sure, but really, truly, have a great life whilst at our club.

In some ways, Mario, welcome home.

Got this off another forum, apparently it's from RAWK which I hate to quote but come on, that's one of the most cringe worthy things I've ever read.
When are Liverpool next playing
I really envy the talent Utd have acquired. Blind, Falcao, Di Maria, Herrera etc on top of existing players like Mata and RVP. Mad splash of cash in trying to make the EPL Galactico's happen but its true, they have such a star studded team on paper now that they'll have to be my fifa team along with Real. :colondollar:

Don't know how Van Gaal imagines those players in his 352 but if they wanna win by outscoring teams they have the right players, but Im not sure if the team performance on the field will reflect the individual quality on paper.
Original post by iloveteddy14
When are Liverpool next playing

saturday 13th septemberm late kick off, 17:30
against aston villa at anfield

Original post by Mr.Messy
I really envy the talent Utd have acquired. Blind, Falcao, Di Maria, Herrera etc on top of existing players like Mata and RVP. Mad splash of cash in trying to make the EPL Galactico's happen but its true, they have such a star studded team on paper now that they'll have to be my fifa team along with Real. :colondollar:

Don't know how Van Gaal imagines those players in his 352 but if they wanna win by outscoring teams they have the right players, but Im not sure if the team performance on the field will reflect the individual quality on paper.

i agree - the players they have are simply ridiculous, but then again they've basically panicked and used the quick route back to the top.
we didn't do that, it took us a few more years to find the right manager and grow the right players.

urgh, i'll never play on FIFA as united, would be like treason :P

exactly what i've been saying
yeah you can buy a bunch of top players and throw them on the pitch, but that doesn't instantly make them get better results than a team like ours for instance.
they need time, they need chemistry, but most importantly they need an actual system of play.
their long balls against burnley were painful to watch.

Quick Reply

Latest