The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Mental Health Support Society Mk XIV

Scroll to see replies

Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
Are you in touch with the disability office at your uni? Do your tutors know how much you are struggling? Could you take antihistemines like Phergan to help you sleep (not addictive according to my psychiatrist, who was happy to suggest and prescribe them)? Are you getting DSA?

Sorry if I should know the answers to all of these :getmecoat:

Messy post...

Im in contact with disability. Was supposed to be forwarded notes taken by a paid note taker in my lectures this year but I didn't get anything. Online lecture notes can be hit and miss. Some are quite good. Some important content you'll miss if you're constantly asleep while you're supposed to be in lectures. I went to the uni doctor's surgery 11 months ago to get a referral after a recommendation by the disability service and an educational psychologist. Useless tossers. All I needed was a referral for an assessment and the service is bit of a mess despite professional appearances.

Not sure what disability can do other than make suggestions. Dont think ill get another repeat year and tbh all these repeats kinda defeat themselves. Got to see the doc again. Been waiting on an ASD assessment. I need some kind of psychologist to work me out. I just feel like all the counsellors I've seen don't truly get me. I don't truly understand myself but I know that. I don't even know how I would explain it but my sleep problems are one of my biggest issues. If I could sleep normally I'd probably go to lectures like a normal person and not be in this position. I just need a doctor to take me seriously and give me more effective sleep treatment. I think there's other stuff too like deeply ingrained habits possibly. Possibly also starting off with easy stuff in lectures I already know and being bored stiff. Being unchallenged is so underwhelming.

Tutor knows some stuff but not sure she fully understands or can help with progression much.
fully excited for uni now i've seen the freshers line up woooo :party:
Original post by Deyesy
What about the tolerance to benzos don't you like? Because it comes as across as even if you dislike them; if they work, it'd be somewhat worthwhile if you could complete your degree/were able to put in the effort after a decent nights sleep?

Having to take more and more to get the same effect and the tolerance level not returning from my experience. And I don't want to build up a dependence on benzos. A benzo dependence is dangerous. I like them when I'm really anxious, stressed, need to sleep, just to chill but they're not riskfree.

The best treatment I've heard of is a combination of things. Light therapy, melatonin, modafinil can help stay awake, sleep hygiene, diet. I'm starting to cut down on sugary drinks.

I'm a deep sleeper and I'm pretty rotten if I get woken before I've had enough. Probably a bit undisciplined too tbh.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by alexs2602
Messy post...

Im in contact with disability. Was supposed to be forwarded notes taken by a paid note taker in my lectures this year but I didn't get anything. Online lecture notes can be hit and miss. Some are quite good. Some important content you'll miss if you're constantly asleep while you're supposed to be in lectures. I went to the uni doctor's surgery 11 months ago to get a referral after a recommendation by the disability service and an educational psychologist. Useless tossers. All I needed was a referral for an assessment and the service is bit of a mess despite professional appearances.

Not sure what disability can do other than make suggestions. Dont think ill get another repeat year and tbh all these repeats kinda defeat themselves. Got to see the doc again. Been waiting on an ASD assessment. I need some kind of psychologist to work me out. I just feel like all the counsellors I've seen don't truly get me. I don't truly understand myself but I know that. I don't even know how I would explain it but my sleep problems are one of my biggest issues. If I could sleep normally I'd probably go to lectures like a normal person and not be in this position. I just need a doctor to take me seriously and give me more effective sleep treatment. I think there's other stuff too like deeply ingrained habits possibly. Possibly also starting off with easy stuff in lectures I already know and being bored stiff. Being unchallenged is so underwhelming.

Tutor knows some stuff but not sure she fully understands or can help with progression much.

Not a messy post at all! Sorry the GP was so useless - are there any other ones you can see in that practice? Or at your home practice? That's pretty bad that you never got the notes from that notetaker - have you tried chasing that up/telling disability office that? Could they not have just given you the handwritten notes they'd written during the lecture? That's what my notetakers used to do and it worked quite well.

There is def a difference between counselling and psychology, so it would be good if you could get yourself on a waiting list for CBT or something similar. I appreciate that is far easier said than done (having spent about 10 months waiting for therapy assessment and then therapy approval and then therapy to start) :sadnod:

Big hugs from here - it sounds like things have been very difficult for you :console: :hugs: :console:
:jumphug: You know where I am if you need me :frown:

Still proud of you for doing the second exam as well though! You rockstar :headbang:

thank you :jumphug:
i keep hurting myself in my sleep, its becoming quite concerning.
iv had a really sore elbow since i woke up!
i either destroy my knee, shoulder, hand, elbow...
Reply 2366
Not having a good evening :colonhash:
Original post by samba
Not having a good evening :colonhash:

:frown: :hugs: Whats up?
Reply 2368
Original post by WelshBluebird
:frown: :hugs: Whats up?

Nothing worth moaning about lol, just not feeling it. Thanks for replying :smile:
Original post by samba
Nothing worth moaning about lol, just not feeling it. Thanks for replying :smile:

Awww ok :smile:. Well if you ever need to chat you know where I am :smile:.
Well at least alcohol wakes me up. It's not like I've avoided packing until 10 hours before my flight. Very good night with people even if it ended with taxi driver insisting on making small talk. Which is a minor thing that I really shouldn't be focusing on. Had a brilliant night and now to go on holiday.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I have never trusted anyone the way I trusted those who come undone at the throat
Original post by lauraaaaa
fully excited for uni now i've seen the freshers line up woooo :party:

Is this a YUSU event or a James College event?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by senz72
Is this a YUSU event or a James College event?

Posted from TSR Mobile

well I'm going to the viking raid but the james college events were announced tonight :3
Not a messy post at all! Sorry the GP was so useless - are there any other ones you can see in that practice? Or at your home practice? That's pretty bad that you never got the notes from that notetaker - have you tried chasing that up/telling disability office that? Could they not have just given you the handwritten notes they'd written during the lecture? That's what my notetakers used to do and it worked quite well.

There is def a difference between counselling and psychology, so it would be good if you could get yourself on a waiting list for CBT or something similar. I appreciate that is far easier said than done (having spent about 10 months waiting for therapy assessment and then therapy approval and then therapy to start) :sadnod:

Big hugs from here - it sounds like things have been very difficult for you :console: :hugs: :console:

I'm going to try to finally sleep but I'll reply properly in the morning. Though I have tons to do tomorrow still.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by lauraaaaa
well I'm going to the viking raid but the james college events were announced tonight :3

Ah I see. Didn't do it last year. Prepare your stomach for that day.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Forgot how relaxing I find painting. Even though it upsets me how bad my work is, I'm going to keep going and try and get better

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by senz72
Ah I see. Didn't do it last year. Prepare your stomach for that day.

Posted from TSR Mobile

hahahah i feel like I'm gonna be feeling pretty rough for the first two weeks :lol:
Having a horrible night- the worst in a couple of years. Found myself reverting to old habits I'd thought I'd seen the back of a long time ago. This summer has in general been a reminder that in spite of a huge amount of effort to improve things over the last three years, I'm right back to square one in so many ways- I'm realising that nothing really changed at all. I'm still messing everything up and have no-one to tell. Don't seem to have any energy to do things anymore either- for the last few weeks, I've been coming home from work around 5 or 6 and going straight to bed, when I would normally do a lot of sport. Just frustrated and worrying about too many things- sorry for ranting, just posting incase it helps to even tell strangers.
Just looked at the freshers events list and I wasn't excited for any of it. I think I've gotten old and boring :tongue:

Looking forward to the freshers fair though - free stuff :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest