The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Just a word of advice from us last year...

I think now is too early for the bulk of your applications. I'm in the Summer Analyst batch and most of us lot have only applied to a handful so far and we will be recruited long before any of you even get an interview so I wouldn't obsessively worry about applying yet.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by will2348

I think now is too early for the bulk of your applications. I'm in the Summer Analyst batch and most of us lot have only applied to a handful so far and we will be recruited long before any of you even get an interview so I wouldn't obsessively worry about applying yet.

Posted from TSR Mobile

When would you say is the right time to send off applications? I'm waiting until I return to university, but I would like to know a rough date that I should look to have sent my applications off by, mainly because there is still a lot for me to do so would like to plan my spare time accordingly.
Original post by MathsNerd1
When would you say is the right time to send off applications? I'm waiting until I return to university, but I would like to know a rough date that I should look to have sent my applications off by, mainly because there is still a lot for me to do so would like to plan my spare time accordingly.

I'm aiming all except GS by the end of October, and then GS at some point later on before the deadline.

I'd aim for all to be sent by the end of October with the bulk going off between end of September and mid-October. Rothschild interviewed quite early last year so apply to them early. GS isn't rolling basis and BNPP recruit very late in the cycle.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

Did you find you added very much to your application once starting university? ie societies etc. I start uni in October haha, so I'm not too sure if it's worth waiting?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'd aim for all to be sent by the end of October with the bulk going off between end of September and mid-October. Rothschild interviewed quite early last year so apply to them early. GS isn't rolling basis and BNPP recruit very late in the cycle.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by Refrigerator
I'm aiming all except GS by the end of October, and then GS at some point later on before the deadline.

Thanks guys! I'm hoping to upgrade my CV before then so it should be fine,

Also out of curiosity, what is your opinion of the ICAEW CFAB if your CV lacks relevant work experience?
Hey guys, i was wondering if someone could help me understand the application process for a Spring Week internship? what would i have to do to try and increase my chances of getting a SW placement with a top IB firm (JP Morgan/Goldman Sachs etc), how much does University come into it? (i'll be attending Uni of Bath btw). Also when would be the best time to apply? how competitive can these places get?

sorry for all the questions, im just really new to all this stuff! if someone could help though, that would be amazing! :smile:
Original post by Fas
Hey guys, i was wondering if someone could help me understand the application process for a Spring Week internship? what would i have to do to try and increase my chances of getting a SW placement with a top IB firm (JP Morgan/Goldman Sachs etc), how much does University come into it? (i'll be attending Uni of Bath btw). Also when would be the best time to apply? how competitive can these places get?

sorry for all the questions, im just really new to all this stuff! if someone could help though, that would be amazing! :smile:

For the top IB firms its very competitive, I was told university doesn't play a big role when it comes to application but I don't really believe them. The best time would be around October because you would have started uni and started joining societies which is something to talk about during your interview. The process is mainly application, psychometric test (maybe) or a test they have designed which shows which kind of person you are then there would be an interview maybe phone or face to face and that's mainly it. To increase your chances for a top IB firm I would say nail your interview and use the STAR technique during your interview and they will remember you when it comes to picking who will take part in the SW. Hope that helps :smile:
Original post by itssimplyme
Did you find you added very much to your application once starting university? ie societies etc. I start uni in October haha, so I'm not too sure if it's worth waiting?

Posted from TSR Mobile

To be honest, no, not really and I struggled through SW recruitment because of that. I think it's very hard to do that but if you can just get a title and slap it on your CV that looks good enough. I found I didn't get a good number of worthwhile ECs (having actually done something) until about February/March.

It might be worth waiting more for banks to actually visit your campus though. If you can tailor your CL to the bank and say you met xyz at the campus event and name-drop plus enhance your motivation about the bank from what you learnt at that event, then it looks good.
(edited 9 years ago)
Thanks guys! I'm hoping to upgrade my CV before then so it should be fine,

Also out of curiosity, what is your opinion of the ICAEW CFAB if your CV lacks relevant work experience?

Anything like the above will help your application but it won't necessarily make up for a lack of relevant work experience. However, at this stage, they do not really expect you to have any real relevant work experience. In saying that, plenty of people do and they always secure offers much easier. Therefore, it's up to you to decide whether the time commitment of that is worth the benefit. It shows your serious about the industry so it could be viewed as very impressive.
Original post by thelion0
What banks do not have any tests in the online application process?

Add BNP Paribas to this also.
To be honest, no, not really and I struggled through SW recruitment because of that. I think it's very hard to do that but if you can just get a title and slap it on your CV that looks good enough. I found I didn't get a good number of worthwhile ECs (having actually done something) until about February/March.

It might be worth waiting more for banks to actually visit your campus though. If you can tailor your CL to the bank and say you met xyz at the campus event and name-drop plus enhance your motivation about the bank from what you learnt at that event, then it looks good.

Thanks a bunch for the advice! Will definitely keep that in mind. Good luck with your applications this year and I'll rep you as soon as I get on my laptop :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Razina17
For the top IB firms its very competitive, I was told university doesn't play a big role when it comes to application but I don't really believe them. The best time would be around October because you would have started uni and started joining societies which is something to talk about during your interview. The process is mainly application, psychometric test (maybe) or a test they have designed which shows which kind of person you are then there would be an interview maybe phone or face to face and that's mainly it. To increase your chances for a top IB firm I would say nail your interview and use the STAR technique during your interview and they will remember you when it comes to picking who will take part in the SW. Hope that helps :smile:

right ok i see, thank you! :smile: my main worry right now is that i don't have ANY relevant work experience in the finance sector (i had a tour round Morgan Stanley once, but i highly doubt that counts) so how disadvantaged would i be when applying? i always thought that since its a 1st year Spring Week placement, there wouldn't be that many with actual work experience beforehand, but im not so sure now haha. What's a psychometric test? and whats the STAR technique? sorry for all the questions! :colondollar:
Original post by Fas
right ok i see, thank you! :smile: my main worry right now is that i don't have ANY relevant work experience in the finance sector (i had a tour round Morgan Stanley once, but i highly doubt that counts) so how disadvantaged would i be when applying? i always thought that since its a 1st year Spring Week placement, there wouldn't be that many with actual work experience beforehand, but im not so sure now haha. What's a psychometric test? and whats the STAR technique? sorry for all the questions! :colondollar:

Psychometric testing is basically numerical reasoning/verbal reasoning/diagrammatic reasoning etc.
Original post by yl95
Psychometric testing is basically numerical reasoning/verbal reasoning/diagrammatic reasoning etc.

ah right ok, i see. another query i had was, that these SW placements are only available to students in their 1st year of a 3-year course, or students in their 2nd year of a 4-year course. My course (Economics) is 4-years long, however this is because after our second year we undertake a year in industry as part of the degree, then come back to do our final year. So does this mean basically there is absolutely no point in me looking to apply for SW placements this October because i'll be ineligible to apply anyway? or would i still be considered?
Original post by Fas
ah right ok, i see. another query i had was, that these SW placements are only available to students in their 1st year of a 3-year course, or students in their 2nd year of a 4-year course. My course (Economics) is 4-years long, however this is because after our second year we undertake a year in industry as part of the degree, then come back to do our final year. So does this mean basically there is absolutely no point in me looking to apply for SW placements this October because i'll be ineligible to apply anyway? or would i still be considered?

Do a SW then do your placement year in banking?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Mr Inquisitive
Do a SW then do your placement year in banking?

Posted from TSR Mobile

that's the plan, however what im confused about is which year i should apply for the SW one. i just assumed i should apply this October, however since my degree is a 4-year degree, would the SW internship even be open for me to apply to, as i will be on the 1st year of my course, and not the 2nd.
Original post by Fas
that's the plan, however what im confused about is which year i should apply for the SW one. i just assumed i should apply this October, however since my degree is a 4-year degree, would the SW internship even be open for me to apply to, as i will be on the 1st year of my course, and not the 2nd.

For four year degrees, you're required to apply whilst in your second year at university.
Original post by Abdul-Karim
For four year degrees, you're required to apply whilst in your second year at university.

I'm also doing a year placement in my third year, however, if I was to apply for a SW in my second year, I would also have to do a placement year application at the same time and most places wont let you do this, will they?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Abdul-Karim

ah ok, just as i feared haha. So in that case, is there anything i can do during my 1st year, to grab some relevant work experience?

Latest

Trending

Trending