The Student Room Group

PLA and Childcare grant

Hi Ive successfully completed my student finance appilcation and had it agreed with payments scheduled, however there was no mention if the parent learners allowance or childcare grant I also applied for?
Is this normal? When should I hear about these two payments.

Ps my household income is £17500 and My childcare provider has filled in their section and sent it back weeks ago ?

thank you
Reply 1
hi, I'd love to know how long it took for you to find out about the childcare grant application as I am in the same situation right now and I cant seem to find anything out anywhere!
Reply 2
Hi I had to chase it up with SFE they never sent me any confirmation but told me over the phone that I would not receive the Grant.
Not very happy as I received help with childcare when myself and my husband worked but yet I wont get anything since losing a wage??

Good luck with yours....I suggest chasing them.
Reply 3
Claim through working tax for childcare vouchers/grant
(edited 9 years ago)
Hi I am in same situation and I am unsure whether to put my child in nursery. I am a single parent with no income so I presume I will get it. So frustrating, I was on the phone on hold for 1 hour with no luck.
Reply 5
I have been really looking forward to starting Uni in 2 weeks time. I have. 17month old baby and was told before I Applied to uni that I would be eligible for childcare grant as my husband doesn't earn much and I haven't worked since before I was pregnant. We have a mortgage and bills to pay for which ment without childcare help I couldn't go to Uni.

I was getting nervous as not heard back from childcare grant people and parent learning allowance so I called student finance who just announce over the phone that I would not receive a penny for PLA or CCG ! Apparently we earn over 13.500 threshold !!

I am devistated as I now have to withdraw my University place. Funnily enough as a student I won't be able to afford £660.00 per month for childcare.

My last 6 months of plans and dreams gone in the space of a phone call. They didn't even have the balls to write to me and tell me. :frown:
Reply 6
Original post by Soxtrot
I have been really looking forward to starting Uni in 2 weeks time. I have. 17month old baby and was told before I Applied to uni that I would be eligible for childcare grant as my husband doesn't earn much and I haven't worked since before I was pregnant. We have a mortgage and bills to pay for which ment without childcare help I couldn't go to Uni.

I was getting nervous as not heard back from childcare grant people and parent learning allowance so I called student finance who just announce over the phone that I would not receive a penny for PLA or CCG ! Apparently we earn over 13.500 threshold !!

I am devistated as I now have to withdraw my University place. Funnily enough as a student I won't be able to afford £660.00 per month for childcare.

My last 6 months of plans and dreams gone in the space of a phone call. They didn't even have the balls to write to me and tell me. :frown:

Hello I am not sure on your personal situation but this is mine
I dont work or claim any benefits.
My wife works £17000 pa.
we claim working tax. child tax & child benefit. We have 2 children 6/8
I asked for the tuition loan, Maintenance grant, maintenance loan ,Parental loan. And child care grant.
I wont get tuition loan, Maintenance grant this year as I have done 2 years part time so have to fund my 1st year of 3 at uni.
I have had it comfirmed on my account I will receive the maintenance loan £5555 ( you are entitled to it as long as uni comfirm enrolment you dont even need to be apply for the tuition fee or grant)& Parental loan £1196 ( you have dependent children) again depends on household income.
I too have not heard about childcare grant but if I dont get it from them. I/you can get a childcare grant from working tax although working tax pay upto 85% of the total childcare cost
I would double check with a different call agent or just keep checking your account online.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by Bikeric
Hello I am not sure on your personal situation but this is mine
I dont work or claim any benefits.
My wife works £17000 pa.
we claim working tax. child tax & child benefit. We have 2 children 6/8
I asked tuition loan, Maintenance grant and maintenance loan. Parental loan. And child care grant.
I wont get tuition loan, Maintenance grant this year as I have done 2 years part time so have to fund my 1st year of 3 at uni.
I have had comfirmed on my account I will receive the maintenance loan £5555 ( you are entitled to it as long as uni comfirm enrolment )& Parental loan £1196
I too have not heard about childcare grant but if I dont get it from them. I/you can get a childcare grant from working tax although working tax pay upto 85%.
I would double check with a different call agent or just keep checking your account online.

That's given me some more hope thank you. I have just spoken to the student union advice centre who have been much more positive and I'm going to see them tomorrow.
Fingers crossed the student finance department just got it wrong.

p.s if you have not heard from childcare grant people then call student finance as they don't seem to write a response to you.
Reply 8
Original post by Soxtrot
That's given me some more hope thank you. I have just spoken to the student union advice centre who have been much more positive and I'm going to see them tomorrow.
Fingers crossed the student finance department just got it wrong.

p.s if you have not heard from childcare grant people then call student finance as they don't seem to write a response to you.

I spoke with student union when I learned about me not getting the tuition fee paid for the 1st year really helpful. I will ring them and ask about the CCG.
Check too direct with your uni - some places have creches/childcare on site, and students can often negotiate much reduced rates if they haven't been eligible for whatever daft reason for a CCG. Good luck!
Reply 10
Well, I called them after I wrote my last response to this thread and they said it was all approved, no problem. Still had no letter to say so though.
Today I called AGAIN to ask what was going on and the advisor told me that there were two conflicting notes on my account, one said approved, one said not, and said they had to go with the one that said not approved. So no PLA and no CCG.

I'm livid that I have not been informed of this sooner, I have now got to use my entire student loan to pay for my childcare and top it up from my husbands wages, which we cant afford, so now what? Even the advisor couldn't tell me what the criteria for eligibility is, not even when he phoned the other departments to ask! I also asked him why I wasn't sent a letter, he said he did ask that dept the same question and they said apparently we should just realise from the SFE award letter that id the PLA and CCG isn't included then you aren't getting it...yep, we should all be psychics!

There is NO information anywhere to say what the threshold is for applying and NO entitlement letter is sent to tell you its not happening. Totally shoddy operation if you ask me....

Sorry for the rant, I'm cross and I probably wont be going to college.
Reply 11
Original post by wasowski
Well, I called them after I wrote my last response to this thread and they said it was all approved, no problem. Still had no letter to say so though.
Today I called AGAIN to ask what was going on and the advisor told me that there were two conflicting notes on my account, one said approved, one said not, and said they had to go with the one that said not approved. So no PLA and no CCG.

I'm livid that I have not been informed of this sooner, I have now got to use my entire student loan to pay for my childcare and top it up from my husbands wages, which we cant afford, so now what? Even the advisor couldn't tell me what the criteria for eligibility is, not even when he phoned the other departments to ask! I also asked him why I wasn't sent a letter, he said he did ask that dept the same question and they said apparently we should just realise from the SFE award letter that id the PLA and CCG isn't included then you aren't getting it...yep, we should all be psychics!

There is NO information anywhere to say what the threshold is for applying and NO entitlement letter is sent to tell you its not happening. Totally shoddy operation if you ask me....

Sorry for the rant, I'm cross and I probably wont be going to college.

I'm in same boat :frown: . Apparently if you are in my situation (married with one child and hubby on 20k) then the threshold is £13,000. Typical.

So now I have to find £680.00 per month in childcare fees which we don't have. No Uni for me :frown: gutted.
Reply 12
So sorry that they have mucked it all up. As our situation are similar. It seems pot luck with sfe we are on 17000 my wife works i dont and we have 2 children 6/8 i got pla i apply for ccg but did not have the school details ( 6 weeks holidays) so i sent it off anyway but i spoke with sfe on friday and told them i now had school ofsted info and i was advised to send that info in. So going of what they told you think I'm going to claim childcare vouchers from working tax it may be worth you looking into it. Good luck.
(edited 9 years ago)
hi everyone. when you send the form to childcare grant did you attached birth certificate and tax awards ?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending