The Student Room Group

Civil service fast stream 2014/2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Katie_p
Yep, I found that really difficult! I thought most applied to me, but then wondered if that made me sound arrogant? And for some of them, choosing a "least like me"....ummm......help!!

I think we'll have to wait for a while, not many people will have completed this much yet, so they have nothing to score us against.

I know its annoying... oh well, I guess we got e-tray exercise on the next stage, we got to practise on this one. I heard it takes 2 and a half hour long to complete the e-tray! :eek:
Original post by Luccy.
How did you find the tests and how long did they take?

I thought they were OK. I'm not sure how long the competency took as it's not timed, but I had at least 3 mins spare on the verbal which I used to check, and 4 on the numerical which I didn't bother checking with.
The times were more generous than the practice ones I was given, but I think there were more questions and more to read as well.
They were probably the same difficulty as the practice ones I did, definitely didn't think they were significantly harder.
Original post by Katie_p
You have 7 days to complete most things from completing the last stage....So if you start an application for a stream, you have 7 days to do the first practise tests, then 7 days from doing them to do the next practise tests, then 7 days to do the real tests etc. I think most stages will be like this - once their end is updated, we have 7 days to act (but can request extensions from them if necessary).

The tests that I did were one set of compulsory practice qs, one set optional (numerical and verbal each time) which gave you feedback - you would have scored in top XX% of people who sat these tests - so you know if you need to do more practise or you're probably OK etc.
There was no practice for the competency questionnaire.

So basically, you probably have a maximum of 21 days from adding a stream to having to sit the actual online tests. Tbh, I think you're better off practising a bit elsewhere now, then sitting both sets of their practice tests AND the real tests in one go - it's a long slog that way, but probably better for knowing what you're doing.
I did this through the generalist stream application, not sure if the process is the same across the board!

Hi Katie, thanks so much for your fast and informative reply! So does that meant that, theoretically, I could start the application 21 days before the deadline (3rd of November), or does this 21 days not include other information you need to give, such as references, written application form etc? I'm not going to leave it that late of course, was just wondering how much time to give myself to practice. And do you have any suggestions for places to practice online? I feel a bit strange applying for graduate jobs I'm not interested in/ don't really know where to find them.

Also, is the competency test included in these 2 lots of practice tests?
Original post by LAX Inc
I know its annoying... oh well, I guess we got e-tray exercise on the next stage, we got to practise on this one. I heard it takes 2 and a half hour long to complete the e-tray! :eek:

Yeah, I'm nervous about the E-tray, but obviously hoping I get through to it!!!
I had an empty house this morning so that was fine, but usually having an empty house for me coincides with a list of chores to do, and I can't do that AND complete an E-tray!!
Original post by ManifoldManifest
The closing date for the application windows is the date by which you need to have registered your application and chosen a scheme.

After that you have 7 days for each of the steps. So you could register on Nov 3 and have until Nov 10 to do the self-assessed tests, then Nov 17 for the practise tests, the 24th for the Situational Judgement Tests (which are new this year), and the 1st December for the verbal, numerical and competency tests.

Hello, thank you for your reply. This is very helpful. Oh dear, new tests as well. I wonder what is the best way to prepare for Situational Judgement Tests.

Can you fail the self-assessed tests? Or are they just a set of practice tests for the verbal and numerical / competency tests?
Original post by zoe_v112
Hi Katie, thanks so much for your fast and informative reply! So does that meant that, theoretically, I could start the application 21 days before the deadline (3rd of November), or does this 21 days not include other information you need to give, such as references, written application form etc? I'm not going to leave it that late of course, was just wondering how much time to give myself to practice. And do you have any suggestions for places to practice online? I feel a bit strange applying for graduate jobs I'm not interested in/ don't really know where to find them.

Also, is the competency test included in these 2 lots of practice tests?

The competency test is in the online tests - when you add a stream, you'll see a progress list, and there's "self-assessed online tests" "practice for online tests" and then finally "online tests" - the competency is in this last one.

References and written application come after the tests - they basically do some general computer-checked stuff first, then want a bit more detail from us, so you would do the "actual application" I guess after the online tests.

I would recommend aiming to get all stages done by the 3rd November - I'm not sure if you have to have only started, or completed all necessary stages, so yeah, I'd allow a week to do the 2 sets of practice and then the real tests, at least!
As for practice online, there are a verbal and numerical on the fast stream info pages, then you get the two inside the application - these were, for me at least, all different to one another. I think you can just search verbal/numerical reasoning practice tests and try some of those, but probably not many will be that useful for this application. But I found the two they gave were definitely enough. :smile:
Hello, thank you for your reply. This is very helpful. Oh dear, new tests as well. I wonder what is the best way to prepare for Situational Judgement Tests.

Can you fail the self-assessed tests? Or are they just a set of practice tests for the verbal and numerical / competency tests?

Original post by tz94
I realise the competency questionnaire is about fast stream competencies - all of this http://www.civilservice.gov.uk/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/Civil-Service-Competency-Framework-July-2012.pdf

But could anyone explain what the competency questionnaire is actually like? Example questions etc.

Here you go! And yeah, you can fail the competency questionnaire.

Situational judgement is being trialed (at least that's what mine said!!!!) so our results don't matter? That's how I interpreted it, unless there's another later on.

The self-assessed ones tell you your results based on the people who sat them previously - so you could presumably be told you were in the bottom 15%, but it doesn't look like it will kick you out of the application process if that does happen.

I can't really comment on the Situational Judgement, as that's a new addition to the process.

You can't fail the self-assessed tests, or the practice tests. They're there to give you an idea of your capabilities, so you know how much you need to study before taking the proper tests.
Original post by Katie_p
Eeek! Just finished all the online tests for my application, and now I'm waiting for the results (or possibly enough other people to have done them for me to be banded, based on what previous applicants said?)!

It feels so weird to be applying for a graduate job when I only got back from my third year placement three weeks ago!

Me too. The competency questionnaire was so difficult :eek: I tried to just be honest, but I have no idea how it went.
Original post by anyone_can_fly
Me too. The competency questionnaire was so difficult :eek: I tried to just be honest, but I have no idea how it went.

Good luck with it, hopefully you find out how it went soon.

To everyone who is yet to do the competency tests: Do not be modest. Do not think "Oh, well I'm honestly probably only a 3 on that..." If it's a positive statement then you are a 4 in it, if it's negative you are a 1. For the "most like/least like" bit, look at the competency framework, think about what sort of person they're asking for, and choose accordingly.

You will have time to show what you are like when you reach the FSAC. Don't get yourself booted now by being too modest on a machine-marked screen out test.
Original post by ManifoldManifest
Good luck with it, hopefully you find out how it went soon.

To everyone who is yet to do the competency tests: Do not be modest. Do not think "Oh, well I'm honestly probably only a 3 on that..." If it's a positive statement then you are a 4 in it, if it's negative you are a 1. For the "most like/least like" bit, look at the competency framework, think about what sort of person they're asking for, and choose accordingly.

You will have time to show what you are like when you reach the FSAC. Don't get yourself booted now by being too modest on a machine-marked screen out test.

Thanks. Do you have any sources or information on how the competency test is marked? It would be interesting to see.
Reply 52
Tests done, now waiting for others to have my results compared to... Anyone else here for Analytical stream this year?
Is there any benefit to doing all of these online tests sooner rather than later?
Original post by Katie_p
The competency test is in the online tests - when you add a stream, you'll see a progress list, and there's "self-assessed online tests" "practice for online tests" and then finally "online tests" - the competency is in this last one............ I think you can just search verbal/numerical reasoning practice tests and try some of those, but probably not many will be that useful for this application. But I found the two they gave were definitely enough. :smile:

Thank you Katie. So you've already done the e-Tray test too? How did that one go? I've tried some numerical tests now. I can do them but I'm a bit slow so I think I'd like to do a bit more practice. Will just look for more only.
Original post by Xan015

I will also be taking part in the application process this year (will be the second time applying). I would like to agree with comments above - do take care on the Competency questionnaire. I applied for two streams last year - the Generalist and European.

Thanks for your message. Can somebody clarify this? You see I thought each person could only apply for one stream? So I was deciding between the Generalist, Diplomatic and European? But if you can apply for more than one I'll go for all three?

Original post by Katie_p
Eeek! Just finished all the online tests for my application, and now I'm waiting for the results (or possibly enough other people to have done them for me to be banded, based on what previous applicants said?)!

It feels so weird to be applying for a graduate job when I only got back from my third year placement three weeks ago!

Thanks for your message Katie. Do you know if the closing date of 30th of November (or whatever it is) is when you have to have started the application, or do all the online tests have to be done?

I'm about to start my final year as well. I've just started practising online tests and was going to take all of September to practise and then get cracking on it early October?
Original post by Eboracum
Thanks for your message. Can somebody clarify this? You see I thought each person could only apply for one stream? So I was deciding between the Generalist, Diplomatic and European? But if you can apply for more than one I'll go for all three?

You can apply for more than one stream (depending on your choice of streams) - I've applied for Generalist and European. The Diplomatic one isn't a separate stream, it's a subset of the Generalist Fast Stream. So you can apply to all three. :smile:
Reply 57
Hello everyone! I'm not applying this year but am thinking of doing so in the future. What streams did you all apply for, and are you all applying after graduation (excuse my ignorance)?
Reply 58
Original post by Eboracum

Hi there,

It depends on what you choose. Some, such as HR and NI, are the only ones you can choose. However, Generalist, European and Digital and Technology are all ones you can choose together.

The Diplomatic is actually part of the Generalist Stream. If you pass the online tests you will be able to specify it then. The European is different.

I would think very strongly about which you want to be your first priority - for example, if you put Generalist as first, and European second, and you fail at Generalist, even if you score extremely highly at the Assessment Centre for European,, you would not be guaranteed a job as you have put it second. This situation happened last year, I believe!
(edited 9 years ago)
I've completed the verbal and numerical tests and am now awaiting my results. Is this the same for everyone? I'm on the economists' programme.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending