The Student Room Group

Qts primary education

Hi all,
I received my AS results and my grades were not bad, I want to study Primary education with QTS and was wondering how strict unis are about the entry requirements for this course. I'm not looking to enter the best unis. I'll be applying to unis in September 2014 and I know that I will have to pass the QTS numeracy and literacy test sometime next year. I was also wondering what else I will have to do before I start the course, eg I heard something about a history check or something.

Any help would be appreciated, thank you :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

Original post by KThanksBae
Hi all,
I received my AS results and my grades were not bad, I want to study Primary education with QTS and was wondering how strict unis are about the entry requirements for this course. I'm not looking to enter the best unis. I'll be applying to unis in September 2014 and I know that I will have to pass the QTS numeracy and literacy test sometime next year. I was also wondering what else I will have to do before I start the course, eg I heard something about a history check or something.

Any help would be appreciated, thank you :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

First and foremost, you need 2 weeks at least of experience in a school environment as this will give you an idea on how teaching practices are done etc. But it depends on the uni about results for A levels, have a look round and find the best one for your results, (the UCAS course finder is very useful for this.) and yes you have the teaching tests to complete, these have to be passed to be able to obtain QTS but it doesnt matter if you fail, as you can resit, but if you do it will be 2 years or so until they can be resat. but with the DBS that i guess will be done when you get in, as you need one for working with children.

hope this helps
jay
Reply 2
Original post by Jay018
First and foremost, you need 2 weeks at least of experience in a school environment as this will give you an idea on how teaching practices are done etc. But it depends on the uni about results for A levels, have a look round and find the best one for your results, (the UCAS course finder is very useful for this.) and yes you have the teaching tests to complete, these have to be passed to be able to obtain QTS but it doesnt matter if you fail, as you can resit, but if you do it will be 2 years or so until they can be resat. but with the DBS that i guess will be done when you get in, as you need one for working with children.

hope this helps
jay

Thank you, and yes I have got 2 weeks work experience :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Just out of curiosity what unis are you looking at

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by Jams97
Just out of curiosity what unis are you looking at

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm staying on London so I'll probably apply to middlesex, kingston and all those unis

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
I'm staying on London so I'll probably apply to middlesex, kingston and all those unis

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah ok, whereas I don't want to be in london!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by Jams97
Ah ok, whereas I don't want to be in london!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Haha awesome xD

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Haha awesome xD

Posted from TSR Mobile

I live in london at the mo so a change would be nice :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Jams97
I live in london at the mo so a change would be nice :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Im the same, wanting to move out of london and see something new for a few years XD
Reply 9
When are you guys applying for the Qts tests? I'm maybe thinking of taking them around January.

Posted from TSR Mobile
When are you guys applying for the Qts tests? I'm maybe thinking of taking them around January.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Im planning on going to Plymouth so i guess there. but i thought that you did them when you started the course...?
Reply 11
Original post by Jay018
Im planning on going to Plymouth so i guess there. but i thought that you did them when you started the course...?

Idk, maybe each uni has different requirements but most ask for you to pass before starting the course :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
Original post by Jay018
Im the same, wanting to move out of london and see something new for a few years XD

Ooh where you thinking of?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
Idk, maybe each uni has different requirements but most ask for you to pass before starting the course :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's now a requirement to take the qts test before you start the course regardless of the university you apply to. I wanted them done before Christmas but I'm so busy before then I doubt I will manage to

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Jams97
Ooh where you thinking of?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Plymouth! :smile: where abouts are you planning on going to?
Original post by Jams97
It's now a requirement to take the qts test before you start the course regardless of the university you apply to. I wanted them done before Christmas but I'm so busy before then I doubt I will manage to

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah okay, dont know when id like to get mine done by, guess it depends on how busy i am with college work and then see.
Reply 16
Original post by Jay018
Plymouth! :smile: where abouts are you planning on going to?

Umm I'm deciding between : derby, durham, canterbury, Manchester met, sheffield hallam and oxford brookes. What other ones do you have in mind?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Jams97
Umm I'm deciding between : derby, durham, canterbury, Manchester met, sheffield hallam and oxford brookes. What other ones do you have in mind?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not sure really, as others are in london (St Marys and Roehampton), but wouldnt want to be commuting, so i need to have a look for others.

EDIT: winchester is a maybe.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 18
Original post by Jay018
Not sure really, as others are in london (St Marys and Roehampton), but wouldnt want to be commuting, so i need to have a look for others.

EDIT: winchester is a maybe.

Roehampton is lovely! Had a look round a campus tour and fell in love ( just for me it's a shame it's in london). Kingston library is meant to be really good for primary ed if that's any help :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Jams97
Roehampton is lovely! Had a look round a campus tour and fell in love ( just for me it's a shame it's in london). Kingston library is meant to be really good for primary ed if that's any help :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I havent been, but heard its a nice uni, but i have the same issue as you, its in London. But i looked at a few you said and have given them consideration :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest