The Student Room Group

UOTC - Fitness Requirements and other stuff

Hey,

I know that may have been asked a lot but I can't find much information.

I am thinking of joining the Manchester UOTC and I know they have a selection weekend which involves a fitness test.
Now I know or hope that my leadership will be good enough but the fitness side of it all I am scared for.

I know sit ups, press ups, 2.4km run and bleep test may need to be done.
Sit ups I can do no problem, I am sure I can do a 2.4km run in 14 mins as stamina is as much mental than fitness, but my press ups I am really scared for as I can just abut manage 15, maybe 20 at a push in one set before I can't push anymore.

Also, how many people really pass and get into the UOTC? I know many people will try to get in but how many do?

Also off topic,

If I don't get into UOTC, would joining the Army reserves be a good option also, as I could be an enlisted in Reserves, improve upon fitness and then apply to be an officer in the real Army maybe?

Thanks.

Scroll to see replies

Re press ups if u do max effort every day one in the morning one in the evening you'll be able to do it in no time. Every time just try and add one more to your set. you just said the run is as much mental as physical. Same with press ups and sit ups... If you have that mentality then you shouldn't have a problem. And you're saying you should be able to do the run in the time, have you even tried on a treadmill? I struggled I thought I could do it in 11.11 but I struggled like mad. Don't just assume, practice.

7 days until I move to Campion flight, BB7 at RTS Halton.
Reply 2
Your leadership isn't that crucial. They're not looking for somebody to turn up and already be better than Monty, they're looking for potential. Big difference.

And regarding how many, probably something between 70-120 will join.

It's unlikely you'll have to do a 2.4 km run and a bleep test, it'll be one or the other, more likely a bleep test.
Reply 3
Original post by chris-d-lpool
Re press ups if u do max effort every day one in the morning one in the evening you'll be able to do it in no time. Every time just try and add one more to your set. you just said the run is as much mental as physical. Same with press ups and sit ups... If you have that mentality then you shouldn't have a problem. And you're saying you should be able to do the run in the time, have you even tried on a treadmill? I struggled I thought I could do it in 11.11 but I struggled like mad. Don't just assume, practice.

7 days until I move to Campion flight, BB7 at RTS Halton.

I am trying to increase my press ups doing as many as I can each day so we shall see if it has worked haha

Yeah, I do need to have a practice for the run, I may do it sometime this week or next week. plan a route which is 2.4km and run it and see what time I get.

Original post by Drewski
Your leadership isn't that crucial. They're not looking for somebody to turn up and already be better than Monty, they're looking for potential. Big difference.

It's unlikely you'll have to do a 2.4 km run and a bleep test, it'll be one or the other, more likely a bleep test.

True about the leadership I guess.

As Manchester is a big city, guess that a few of the people will be rejected.

Really? Hmm, hope I get the 2.4km run then haha. I never liked the bleep test, and never did any good at it.
Reply 4
Original post by Lee17
I am trying to increase my press ups doing as many as I can each day so we shall see if it has worked haha

Yeah, I do need to have a practice for the run, I may do it sometime this week or next week. plan a route which is 2.4km and run it and see what time I get.

True about the leadership I guess.

Really? Hmm, hope I get the 2.4km run then haha. I never liked the bleep test, and never did any good at it.

No, that's how many are likely to pass and get in, ~400 will apply for slots.

And yes, no point doing 2 cardio tests is there? The bleep test is more likely (easier to arrange, only need a sports hall and a hifi) but if you're reasonably fit then passing the required mark won't be hard.
Reply 5
Original post by Drewski
No, that's how many are likely to pass and get in, ~400 will apply for slots.

And yes, no point doing 2 cardio tests is there? The bleep test is more likely (easier to arrange, only need a sports hall and a hifi) but if you're reasonably fit then passing the required mark won't be hard.

I would like to say I am reasonably fit. I do go cycling which I enjoy and can easily push through a tiring part when my legs want to give out. Just not really done much running since last year. haha.

Well if I don't get in, I will try for Reserves and be a normal Enlistedman, and go to the gym or even join the British Military Fitness stuff to increase overall fitness, and do cycling and running for stamina.
Reply 6
Most would advise against the normal reserves. They're not set up to run alongside a degree course like the course at the UOTC. If you don't get in in the first year you're better off spending the year doing your degree, being yourself stuck in to uni life and uni societies and trying again for the year after.
Reply 7
Original post by Drewski
Most would advise against the normal reserves. They're not set up to run alongside a degree course like the course at the UOTC. If you don't get in in the first year you're better off spending the year doing your degree, being yourself stuck in to uni life and uni societies and trying again for the year after.

Ahhh okay. And while waiting of course try to get fitness up before the next year.

I'll have having a year abroad on my 3rd year, would they allow me to come back in the fourth year or not? (if I got in that is)
Reply 8
At the discretion of the unit.

But how about you work on getting in first before worrying about things that, at this stage, don't remotely matter.
Reply 9
Original post by Drewski
At the discretion of the unit.

But how about you work on getting in first before worrying about things that, at this stage, don't remotely matter.

Okay. :smile:

I think I might do what you said, if I don't get in I'll just try and enjoy uni and try to get fit and then reapply again the next time.

Think I'll also join that BMF.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 10
Original post by Lee17
Hey,

I am thinking of joining the Manchester UOTC and I know they have a selection weekend which involves a fitness test.
Now I know or hope that my leadership will be good enough but the fitness side of it all I am scared for.

Sit ups I can do no problem, I am sure I can do a 2.4km run in 14 mins as stamina is as much mental than fitness, but my press ups I am really scared for as I can just abut manage 15, maybe 20 at a push in one set before I can't push anymore.

Also, how many people really pass and get into the UOTC? I know many people will try to get in but how many do?

Also off topic,

If I don't get into UOTC, would joining the Army reserves be a good option also, as I could be an enlisted in Reserves, improve upon fitness and then apply to be an officer in the real Army maybe?

Thanks.

Hi Lee,
Im currently serving in the Army Reserve.

Here are my tips;
set yourself up a nice training program that is day on day off max effort.
You want to be building endurance and stamina, as the entry fitness tests you will find are about how much you can achieve in a short space of time (2mins press ups sit-ups and a 1.5 mile rune)

Running wise, you want to be going for 3-5 miles each session, recording your time can be a great way to motivate yourself on how you are improving.

another top tip is to get used to running / Walking with weight on your back, as in all trades this will be expected of you to reach deployment standards and be certified efficient each training year.

Joining a local Army Reserve unit is a hug step in the right direction as you will understand the system and be able to make a better decision when the time comes to choosing a career path.

All the best mate
Reply 11
Original post by kgo6
Hi Lee,
Im currently serving in the Army Reserve.

Here are my tips;
set yourself up a nice training program that is day on day off max effort.
You want to be building endurance and stamina, as the entry fitness tests you will find are about how much you can achieve in a short space of time (2mins press ups sit-ups and a 1.5 mile rune)

Running wise, you want to be going for 3-5 miles each session, recording your time can be a great way to motivate yourself on how you are improving.

another top tip is to get used to running / Walking with weight on your back, as in all trades this will be expected of you to reach deployment standards and be certified efficient each training year.

Joining a local Army Reserve unit is a hug step in the right direction as you will understand the system and be able to make a better decision when the time comes to choosing a career path.

All the best mate

Hey, and thanks for replying,

Thats what I was thinking what I would need to do to enable me to reach the fitness standards.

I am currently trying to increase my push ups, but I am doing little to do stamina and endurance training which I need to do of course.

Would a combination of running and cycling be good also, as I will be cycling a lot more when at university?

Also, if I did join the Army Reserves as a normal enlistedmen, after my University degree, would I still be able to apply for the Army to become an officer, even when I have been a Private within the Reserves?
Reply 12
Lee
Firstly, top tip, buy a cycle lock and cycle everywhere, you want to get your body so used to exertion that it's normal.

Like I say, don't just run 1.5 miles to improve your time, build up your fitness over longer distances. 3-5 mile runs every other day is a good place to start.

A great tip I was given in training was when you are watching TV or playing Xbox, use the few mins of adverts / between games to push out as many push-ups and sit-ups as you can. It will make a huge difference if done regularly and you will barely notice you are intact building your fitness.

Also before bed, each night alternate pressups and sit-ups and do as many as you can without stopping. Again recording your score can help you see the value of the training.

Lastly to answer your question, yes you can transfer from reserve army to full time officer training, and the way to look at it, is that you will already know the basic key skills And be able to pass the basic requirements, so when other people are feeling homesick or lonely when sleeping under the stars, or ready to give up, to you it's just another day doing the job.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
Original post by kgo6
Lee
Firstly, top tip, buy a cycle lock and cycle everywhere, you want to get your body so used to exertion that it's normal.

Like I say, don't just run 1.5 miles to improve your time, build up your fitness over longer distances. 3-5 mile runs every other day is a good place to start.

A great tip I was given in training was when you are watching TV or playing Xbox, use the few mins of adverts / between games to push out as many push-ups and sit-ups as you can. It will make a huge difference if done regularly and you will barely notice you are intact building your fitness.

Also before bed, each night alternate pressups and sit-ups and do as many as you can without stopping. Again recording your score can help you see the value of the training.

Lastly to answer your question, yes you can transfer from reserve army to full time officer training, and the way to look at it, is that you will already know the basic key skills And be able to pass the basic requirements, so when other people are feeling homesick or lonely when sleeping under the stars, or ready to give up, to you it's just another day doing the job.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I try to cycle places a much as I can, but of course if I don't feel like it I go for car, but I will try and cycle more.

I'll try some running. I think I'll need to buy some equipment like shoes and clothes but that should be fine.

I try and that do that, I get to about 15 or more and just give out, really need to improve upon them.

Yeah, thats what I was thinking. So you could be an enlisted soldier in the reserves and then go through the AOSB for full time soldiering if you wanted to join full army. Awesome. Plus it would give me abit of knowledge about being a soldier and how it mostly all works.
Original post by Drewski

It is a 2.4 km run this year. Only because recruiting this year has been massive and they don't have enough space to do a bleep test with the amount of people they have got this year showing interest. Competition will actually be fierce for once.
Original post by Lee17
Hey,

Also off topic,

Thanks.

Did you see them at the fresher fair? There is, I believe, 3 selection weekends this year. There is also likely to be a consolidated MOD 1 (first year) course running again in February for those who didn't get in at the start of the year, but still show interest.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Lee17

Just to reassure you, around 50 first years got rejected/ left last year due to medical/ fitness/ laziness etc etc reasons. They also do Facebook checks now, so make sure your profile is nice and clean. A guy was rejected last year for having his profile picture of him posing with an AK47 with various intimidating (to say the least) views on his page. Chin up though eh :wink:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 17
Original post by the Me55il
Just to reassure you, around 50 first years got rejected/ left last year due to medical/ fitness/ laziness etc etc reasons. They also do Facebook checks now, so make sure your profile is nice and clean. A guy was rejected last year for having his profile picture of him posing with an AK47 with various intimidating (to say the least) views on his page. Chin up though eh :wink:

OMG haha.

Well I may still apply but if I don't get in, I think the reserves would be a good option.
Reply 18
Bit of an old bump, but how did you get on?
Reply 19
Hey!

I got in, just a problem with a heart beat irregularity so STILL waiting for a medical pass on that but I attend the parade nights.
I didn't get upto 10 on the MSFT but I got upto 8.6 which for me I was impressed.

I have applied for Army Reserve Officer and am starting doing fitness towards that now.

Quick Reply