The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Little Wing
Woah woah woah, calm your tits..I was referring to the oil and gas industry as an actual engineering job (reservoir engineering to be specific), I wasn't trying to insult investment banking but I highly doubt that most people working under 'investment banking' will earn more on average than a reservoir engineer (although no one is arguing that the best bankers earn A LOT more than the best engineers).

Not sure if srs.

Median Salary of a Reservoir Engineer is 55k. Nonetheless, if that's your passion.. by all means pursue it. :smile:
Original post by Abdul-Karim
Not sure if srs.

Median Salary of a Reservoir Engineer is 55k. Nonetheless, if that's your passion.. by all means pursue it. :smile:

I am not trying to argue...using similar websites I get an average 45k for investment bankers but i'm 100% sure that a lot earn much higher, I have no problem with investment bankers earning more (..proof required) I just figured it's not my interest, chances are slim and I can make *decent* money elsewhere.
I am not trying to argue...using similar websites I get an average 45k for investment bankers but i'm 100% sure that a lot earn much higher, I have no problem with investment bankers earning more (..proof required) I just figured it's not my interest, chances are slim and I can make *decent* money elsewhere.

:biggrin: That's the spirit darling!

You forgot the bonus on top of the 45k :wink:
Reply 524
Completed the numerical for BAML there, and got an email a few minutes later telling me to go onto the additional questions. Does this mean I done enough to pass? (Seemed piss easy by the way, aside from timing - I ran out at Q18/20)
Original post by CD315
Completed the numerical for BAML there, and got an email a few minutes later telling me to go onto the additional questions. Does this mean I done enough to pass? (Seemed piss easy by the way, aside from timing - I ran out at Q18/20)

Yeah you passed.
Reply 526
Original post by liarpoker
Yeah you passed.

Fab.
Original post by CD315

Piss easy for you doesn't make it any more reassuring...I mean, I find psychometric testing fine but still...
Reply 528
Original post by yl95
Piss easy for you doesn't make it any more reassuring...I mean, I find psychometric testing fine but still...

Same here. Questions are simple but without practice, just going right into live testing is a bad idea.
Does anybody know what the blackrock spring insight week involves? Is it shadowing the guys managing portfolios/ researching or is it shadowing BO and IT people?

From their website: "Our week long initiative, is open to first year students, and provides a comprehensive overview of BlackRock. During the week students will take part in work shadowing, project based assignments, training, and networking opportunities and will learn about the investment management industry. It also serves as a fast track to the summer internship programme. "

Doesn't really say :/
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 530
Original post by Sun_Bear
Does anybody know what the blackrock spring insight week involves? Is it shadowing the guys managing portfolios/ researching or is it shadowing BO and IT people?

From their website: "Our week long initiative, is open to first year students, and provides a comprehensive overview of BlackRock. During the week students will take part in work shadowing, project based assignments, training, and networking opportunities and will learn about the investment management industry. It also serves as a fast track to the summer internship programme. "

Doesn't really say :/

You choose a preferred division in the application.
Could you please send me the application link? I can't seem to find it anywhere! Thanks.
Reply 532
Original post by Devina-S
Could you please send me the application link? I can't seem to find it anywhere! Thanks.

For what?
Reply 533
Original post by Devina-S

there's a full list for apps here http://canarywharfian.co.uk/threads/spring-week-applications-for-2015.71/
Original post by Fas
right ok i see, thank you! :smile: my main worry right now is that i don't have ANY relevant work experience in the finance sector (i had a tour round Morgan Stanley once, but i highly doubt that counts) so how disadvantaged would i be when applying? i always thought that since its a 1st year Spring Week placement, there wouldn't be that many with actual work experience beforehand, but im not so sure now haha. What's a psychometric test? and whats the STAR technique? sorry for all the questions! :colondollar:

Don't worry about it. STAR stands for Situation Task Action Result. They say thats the order you should use when answering some of those competency questions or you could use CAR which stands for Competency Action Result. Its your choice really
Not directly spring week related, but do you guys think consulting (at Mckinsey/BCG/Bain) is harder to get into than IB at a BB?
Reply 536
Original post by Refrigerator
Not directly spring week related, but do you guys think consulting (at Mckinsey/BCG/Bain) is harder to get into than IB at a BB?

Personally, yes. I think they value extra curriculars and leadership experience etc. a lot more, although someone correct me here if I'm wrong.
Hi guys,
I am just sitting here and try to finish my CLs. As I was introduced SWs are only about the Investment Banking Division of the different banks. So while describing why I like e.g. UBS, is it possible/advisable to mention their performance in wealth management?
Thanks in advance :wink:
Reply 538
Did BAML ask you to upload a CV or was it just the application form before the tests? What tests do BAML do is it just numerical reasoning?
Reply 539
Original post by F10THU
Did BAML ask you to upload a CV or was it just the application form before the tests? What tests do BAML do is it just numerical reasoning?

First half of application form = personal details.
Followed by a numerical.
If you pass, you do second half of application form, which includes uploading CV & cover letter.

Latest

Trending

Trending