The Student Room Group

Economics applicants 2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by NinjaPandaa
Omg same actually m1 pulled my maths down I got 100 100 97 94 93 and then 80 in m1, it was my last exam though and I'm hoping it looks like an anomoly aha

Ooh I was torn between selwyn and queens, but I think I'm going to go for queens. Yeah I like leeds and plus there are so many places in the degree I'd hope I'd get an offer :smile:

Oh, it was my last exam too. But it wasn't an anomaly - I'm just awful at Mechanics :colondollar:

Queens is really nice as well. Yeah, you're certain to get an offer with your AS grades, I think!!
Original post by oreoenthusiast
Oh, it was my last exam too. But it wasn't an anomaly - I'm just awful at Mechanics :colondollar:

Queens is really nice as well. Yeah, you're certain to get an offer with your AS grades, I think!!

I'm pretty bad at it too, but I'll try and play it off as an anomaly :cool:

Ah I'm quite doubtful if I'm honest because I don't think I'll interview well plus with my B in Chinese but meh, I got 4 As in the rest so hopefully that wont be dwelled on too much. I'd love to get into Warwick though, so I'm really hoping I get in there, Cambridge is more of an aspirational what if, if that makes any sense

Your ASs are great too and Selwyn seems like a cool college :biggrin:
I'm pretty bad at it too, but I'll try and play it off as an anomaly :cool:

Ah I'm quite doubtful if I'm honest because I don't think I'll interview well plus with my B in Chinese but meh, I got 4 As in the rest so hopefully that wont be dwelled on too much. I'd love to get into Warwick though, so I'm really hoping I get in there, Cambridge is more of an aspirational what if, if that makes any sense

Your ASs are great too and Selwyn seems like a cool college :biggrin:

I don't think I interview well at all :/ I think you'll probably get into Warwick though, but I don't really know about Warwick admissions. Your application looks good on paper though :wink:
I don't think I interview well at all :/ I think you'll probably get into Warwick though, but I don't really know about Warwick admissions. Your application looks good on paper though :wink:

Your application sounds fab too, it'll be weird if we end up with interviews on the same day :eek:

Yeah I hope so, warwick's probably my favourite (excluding Cambridge)
Opinions on Birmingham or Queen Mary's for employment prospects doing an economics degree??
Reply 265
I am looking to study Economics at university. I have achieved 5A* 4A at GCSE, and i reckon that i will be predicted A* A A , at A level. A's being in further maths and physics, and A* being in economics. iI completed A-Level maths in 1 year and achieved an A.

A level maths -82 ums ), will be predicted an A in further maths for next year as i achieved an A in maths in this year
as level economics- 90ums
as physics - 87ums

I will be retaking C3 & C4 to achieve my A* in maths.

I have gained loads of work experience in investment management firms and HSBC, have gone to loads of lectures and read about 8 books on economics

What are the best universities that i can hope for, that will accept me with these grades?
Original post by zhytan
I am looking to study Economics at university. I have achieved 5A* 4A at GCSE, and i reckon that i will be predicted A* A A , at A level. A's being in further maths and physics, and A* being in economics. iI completed A-Level maths in 1 year and achieved an A.

A level maths -82 ums ), will be predicted an A in further maths for next year as i achieved an A in maths in this year
as physics - 87ums

I have gained loads of work experience in investment management firms and HSBC, have gone to loads of lectures and read about 8 books on economics

What are the best universities that i can hope for, that will accept me with these grades?

With those predictions and results you can pretty much apply anywhere :biggrin:

Although you should probably be aware cambridge and lse may be a bit risky as they want ums marks and I think you'd be a bit below the average applicant for cambridge

Posted from TSR Mobile
With those predictions and results you can pretty much apply anywhere :biggrin:

Although you should probably be aware cambridge and lse may be a bit risky as they want ums marks and I think you'd be a bit below the average applicant for cambridge

Posted from TSR Mobile

I didn't know LSE wanted to know your UMS as well? Is this true? :eek:

Yeah I'm pretty sure, although mike123 is probably the person to check that with

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi guys , i have a question, do you think it is possible to apply for PPE at oxford and then apply for economics at 4 other unis ? Will i be able to tailor the personal statement for this or will i end up without any offers at all? I want to do ppe but if i dont get in to oxford i would want to study economics instead. I got full marks in my economics AS and predicted 3 A* in maths econ and biology A2.
Any replys are appreciated !

Yeah I'm pretty sure, although mike123 is probably the person to check that with

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes it's true, although only for the Economics course from what I've seen this year.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey guys,
I am hoping to apply to Edinburgh (AAA-BBB), Queen Mary (AAA), Southampton (AAB), Sheffield (AAB) and City (ABBe). Do you think that I am aiming too high or too low with the grades that I have achieved?

A2 Predictions
AAA

AS Level
CCEA French A (160/200) dropped
CCEA History A (170/200)
CCEA Maths B (238/300) repeating Module C1
AQA Physics B (235/300) repeating Module 1

Economics & Further Maths not offered at A Level

GCSE's
4A* (Double Awards Science, French, ICT, RE), 5A (Double Award Science, English, Geography, History, Maths) 1B (Further Maths) All CCEA
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by patrickcromb96
Hi guys , i have a question, do you think it is possible to apply for PPE at oxford and then apply for economics at 4 other unis ? Will i be able to tailor the personal statement for this or will i end up without any offers at all? I want to do ppe but if i dont get in to oxford i would want to study economics instead. I got full marks in my economics AS and predicted 3 A* in maths econ and biology A2.
Any replys are appreciated !

It will be hard but is possible! The issue is that you have to tailor your personal statement to your first choice uni so if oxford PPE is your first choice then you need to include the relevant phil and politics but it depends where else your applying for? Have you considered E&M at oxford instead? Would be much easier to tailor it. Where else you thinking of applying? We do the same subjects!
Original post by a320airbus97
Hey guys,
I am hoping to apply to Edinburgh (AAA-BBB), Queen Mary (AAA), Southampton (AAB), Sheffield (AAB) and City (ABBe). Do you think that I am aiming too high or too low with the grades that I have achieved?

A2 Predictions
AAA

AS Level
CCEA French B (159/200) dropped
CCEA History A (170/200)
CCEA Maths B (238/300) repeating Module C1
AQA Physics B (235/300) repeating Module 1

Economics & Further Maths not offered at A Level

GCSE's
4A* (Double Awards Science, French, ICT, RE), 5A (Double Award Science, English, Geography, History, Maths) 1B (Further Maths) All CCEA

no this should be fine as your predictions are higher than all the offers
What do you think is the best uni asking for 3 A's, mainly in terms of employment prospects?
Original post by Username13
What do you think is the best uni asking for 3 A's, mainly in terms of employment prospects?

The only one I can think of is Birmingham and sometimes Bath with their contextual offer. All the others are A*AA or AAB and below.
This is just for pure economics though, many good unis do joint economic courses with AAA entry requirements.
Original post by magnetic19
It will be hard but is possible! The issue is that you have to tailor your personal statement to your first choice uni so if oxford PPE is your first choice then you need to include the relevant phil and politics but it depends where else your applying for? Have you considered E&M at oxford instead? Would be much easier to tailor it. Where else you thinking of applying? We do the same subjects!

thanks for the reply man , i think im just going to apply for economics now
Reply 277
Original post by zhytan

as physics - 87ums

You can't apply for straight economics at cambridge or LSE realistically with at least 90 UMS in AS Maths. (There would be no courses I think you can apply to Cambridge with, with that subject combination and those grades)The standard offer is A*AA, A* specified in maths. However there are many other courses at LSE that you would be able to apply. They offer economics with a number of other areas like international relations and government. You would also be able to apply for oxford's economics and management course which is not as mathematically intensive as Cambridge's/LSE's courses and thus does not require the A*.

Best to check with your higher education department at school. They might advise you to take a subject like history or politics to gear you towards a stronger oxford application.

*even if you do achieve the maths A* Cambridge 'frown' upon retakes especially when they are in a subject that is pivotal within the subject and within their course.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by magnetic19
no this should be fine as your predictions are higher than all the offers

Should I maybe apply for an A*AA course such as at York, or would that be a waste of space on my UCAS form?
Original post by a320airbus97
Should I maybe apply for an A*AA course such as at York, or would that be a waste of space on my UCAS form?

You could always apply as a bit more of a what if, you've got 4 other choices so 1 A*AA uni could be alright, although I'm not 100% convinced whether you'd get an offer with your AS results

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending