The Student Room Group

TSR Tennis Society IV

Scroll to see replies

Original post by samba
Novak not so much better. Great to watch though.

Yeah. Djokovic sometimes doesn't start well that's why Murray had to take advantage and convert on the BPs and also consolidate to win the 1st set. I feel Djokovic might just steamroll him from now on

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2121
Original post by Skkc16
Yeah. Djokovic sometimes doesn't start well that's why Murray had to take advantage and convert on the BPs and also consolidate to win the 1st set. I feel Djokovic might just steamroll him from now on

Posted from TSR Mobile

Dunno, Murray has it in him to come back from this based on that set, but he needs to get his head in the game again and the attitude right. He's definitely good enough if he doesn't start with the stupid double faults etc.

He was a lot happier/calmer a few years ago...he just seems constantly pissed off again now. Needs Lendl back maybe.
Reply 2122
Needs to break here realistically.
Reply 2123
wtf did he just say about collapsing?
Original post by samba

He was a lot happier/calmer a few years ago...he just seems constantly pissed off again now. Needs Lendl back maybe.

I don't see the difference tbh. People say Lendl calmed him down but he still used to pull the same strops during the match and scream profanities at himself. If anything I'd say of court he seems happier now and more relaxed.

It's so annoying how you can't even feel relaxed when Murray breaks because these days there's always a 50/50 chance he'll immediately get broken

Posted from TSR Mobile
No one wants to hold serve I see...
Reply 2126
Original post by lizzy95
No one wants to hold serve I see...

Did the pm work? :smile:

Original post by Skkc16
I don't see the difference tbh. People say Lendl calmed him down but he still used to pull the same strops during the match and scream profanities at himself. If anything I'd say of court he seems happier now and more relaxed.

It's so annoying how you can't even feel relaxed when Murray breaks because these days there's always a 50/50 chance he'll immediately get broken

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think it's meant more that before he'd throw a strop then refocus. Now it all seems to go out of the window half the time when things go wrong. Double faults count is up too. Also his 2nd serve is down like 20mph from a few years ago. He really needs to fix it if he wants to win things again.
Original post by samba
Did the pm work? :smile:

I think it's meant more that before he'd throw a strop then refocus. Now it all seems to go out of the window half the time when things go wrong. Double faults count is up too. Also his 2nd serve is down like 20mph from a few years ago. He really needs to fix it if he wants to win things again.

Could the fact that he's double faulting so much mean that he's trying something different on his second serve?
I don't think it's something he's ever going to change, all the analysts know it's a weak area of his and have asked him about it, his coaches and team know about it and nothing ever seems to change.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2128
Original post by Skkc16
Could the fact that he's double faulting so much mean that he's trying something different on his second serve?
I don't think it's something he's ever going to change, all the analysts know it's a weak area of his and have asked him about it, his coaches and team know about it and nothing ever seems to change.
Posted from TSR Mobile

Not sure, but a 80mph second serve is nowhere near good enough anyway, even without the double faults. Hell it's slower than the average 2nd serve in the womans game. It's a shame, because he has a good 1st serve, and is probably every bit as good as Novak these days without that weakness.
Reply 2129
Set point...
Original post by samba
Not sure, but a 80mph second serve is nowhere near good enough anyway, even without the double faults. Hell it's slower than the average 2nd serve in the womans game. It's a shame, because he has a good 1st serve, and is probably every bit as good as Novak these days without that weakness.

Yeah I agree. It's surprising not many players actually attack it.

Much better TB from Murray. Djokovic's level has dipped though

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2131
Original post by Skkc16
Yeah I agree. It's surprising not many players actually attack it.

Much better TB from Murray. Djokovic's level has dipped though

Posted from TSR Mobile

Think he's just that good at returning that he gets away with it.

Novak looks crushed at the moment. Some of Murrays forehands atm are like Nadal at his best. Some of them are faster than his 2nd serves...

Predictions for the game? :biggrin:
Original post by samba
Think he's just that good at returning that he gets away with it.

Novak looks crushed at the moment. Some of Murrays forehands atm are like Nadal at his best. Some of them are faster than his 2nd serves...

Predictions for the game? :biggrin:

He's absolutely crushing the ball atm. Think Murray will take the 3rd, Djokovic doesn't seem to be out of his little funk

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2133
LOL that shot.
Think I might just go to bed. Murray looks like he can't even walk atm never mind run.

Murray loses in 4 sets. Overall great match, think he executed the gameplan well and was a bit unlucky at times but his body let him down in the end
Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
What a ****fest, this matchup just seems to bring out the worst in both. When was the last time they played a high quality tennis match? 2011 Shanghai?

That stretch at the end of the 2nd was some of the best FH shotmaking I've seen from Murray. Novak just outlasted him. Andy needs to improve his fitness, can't say I was surprised by the grimacing and moping towards the end of the match - he was just gassed.

Don't see Nishikori providing much resistance next round, fully expect Novak to make it 5 straight finals and perhaps an improvement on the horrible 1-4 finals record he has here.
(edited 9 years ago)
Glad to see Novak won, hope the Nishikori match is a good one as he can pose problems but I want a Wimbledon rematch
Yeah, I'm just not able to stay awake that late - missed the whole match (but caught the highlights). Well done to Novak. It looks like Andy is on his way back up quite clearly; I stick with my prediction for him to return to where he belongs in 2015. That forehand was working well, but there's still something missing - I'm not sure if it's mental or physical.
Cilic dumps out Berdych in straight sets (6-2, 6-4, 7-6) in a Slam again. Some poor play by Tomas in the first set, but Cilic produced a serving clinic

Quick Reply

Latest