The Student Room Group

Any advice?

I started a degree last year but later decided to change my course and live in halls again as a 1st year, after having signed a joint tenancy agreement for a house for 12 months (1/09 to 31/07).

I have a room reserved in halls and I am being asked to pay my non refundable deposit tomorrow. My landlord says he thinks he has let my room to someone else but the new tenant hasn't paid the deposit or signed the contract yet.

Bearing in mind this is at Plymouth and the demand for private housing is huge this year as the uni miscalculated the number of halls places available to clearing students and is now sending a lot of them to private accommodation, meaning if this guy doesn't end up taking my room I am 98% sure someone else will before term starts.

What should I do? Pay the deposit for halls and take the small risk or just move back into the house and waste all the efforts me and the land lord have put into advertising my room and live with second years who I barely know?

Thanks!
Reply 1
Bumpp
Reply 2
Original post by matt375
I started a degree last year but later decided to change my course and live in halls again as a 1st year, after having signed a joint tenancy agreement for a house for 12 months (1/09 to 31/07).

I have a room reserved in halls and I am being asked to pay my non refundable deposit tomorrow. My landlord says he thinks he has let my room to someone else but the new tenant hasn't paid the deposit or signed the contract yet.

Bearing in mind this is at Plymouth and the demand for private housing is huge this year as the uni miscalculated the number of halls places available to clearing students and is now sending a lot of them to private accommodation, meaning if this guy doesn't end up taking my room I am 98% sure someone else will before term starts.

What should I do? Pay the deposit for halls and take the small risk or just move back into the house and waste all the efforts me and the land lord have put into advertising my room and live with second years who I barely know?

Thanks!

How much is the deposit?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
250 quid, obviously all refundable at the end of the year providing nothing gets trashed
Reply 4
Original post by matt375
250 quid, obviously all refundable at the end of the year providing nothing gets trashed

Keep the agreement on the house just in case, but pay the deposit. Or at least that's what I would do. At the end of the day it's your choice

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Yeah but I am trying to get out of the house contract, otherwise I am paying 2 rents lol not ideal. I was mainly asking just whether to pay the halls deposit (considering the small risk no one takes my room at the house) or just give up trying to go to halls and stick with the house
Reply 6
Original post by matt375
Yeah but I am trying to get out of the house contract, otherwise I am paying 2 rents lol not ideal. I was mainly asking just whether to pay the halls deposit (considering the small risk no one takes my room at the house) or just give up trying to go to halls and stick with the house

If you've got a room stick with what you've got - it doesn't matter too much if you don't know people at the start of the year because you'll get to know them

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by matt375

You signed the contract you have to pay the deposit. I speak as a landlord.

That is why it is called a non-refundable deposit
Reply 8
Original post by squeakysquirrel
You signed the contract you have to pay the deposit. I speak as a landlord.

That is why it is called a non-refundable deposit

I'm talking about the deposit for halls. I am trying to give up my room in the house and the landlord is 95% sure he has found someone he just needs to get a signature and deposit off them. My question is whether to go ahead and pay the halls deposit and live there or not.
Reply 9
Original post by matt375
Did you read my post? I am talking about the deposit for halls. I am trying to give up my room in the house and the landlord is 95% sure he has found someone he just needs to get a signature and deposit off them. My question is whether to go ahead and pay the halls deposit and live there or not.

Like I said - I would stick with the house because you know you have a room there. Like you said Plymouth miscounted on how much accommodation they had so there is no guarantee of a space for you in halls

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Original post by Andy98
Like I said - I would stick with the house because you know you have a room there. Like you said Plymouth miscounted on how much accommodation they had so there is no guarantee of a space for you in halls

Posted from TSR Mobile

I was replying to the other poster. Sorry I know it was a long OP but I did also say that I have a room reserved in halls. I know where I will be living and have even made contact with my flatmates
Reply 11
Original post by matt375
I was replying to the other poster. Sorry I know it was a long OP but I did also say that I have a room reserved in halls. I know where I will be living and have even made contact with my flatmates

Well then. It's nothing you can ask us - it's your personal preference

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by matt375
I'm talking about the deposit for halls. I am trying to give up my room in the house and the landlord is 95% sure he has found someone he just needs to get a signature and deposit off them. My question is whether to go ahead and pay the halls deposit and live there or not.

The halls and the landlord are running a business - we cannot afford to hang around whilst you make up your mind.

I would stick with the house - if all you are concerned about is being stuck with a load of second years you are obviously not working hard enough for your degree.
Reply 13
The halls and the landlord are running a business - we cannot afford to hang around whilst you make up your mind.

I would stick with the house - if all you are concerned about is being stuck with a load of second years you are obviously not working hard enough for your degree.

But yet you can afford the time to come on here, misread and misjudge what I said, speak on behalf of two companies who you do not work for and tell me I am not hard working because I would prefer to live in halls?
Original post by matt375
But yet you can afford the time to come on here, misread and misjudge what I said, speak on behalf of two companies who you do not work for and tell me I am not hard working because I would prefer to live in halls?

I have evidently touched a raw nerve eh!

I speak as a landlord - as I said.

As well as being a landlord - I have two properties that I manage and I work - in fact just off to work now.

And what's more I am a good landlord - I set the rent according to how much people can afford - often giving students free weeks if they are a bit short and I don't even make some of them pay deposits ( not all of them - I am not stupid)
Reply 15
I have evidently touched a raw nerve eh!

I speak as a landlord - as I said.

As well as being a landlord - I have two properties that I manage and I work - in fact just off to work now.

And what's more I am a good landlord - I set the rent according to how much people can afford - often giving students free weeks if they are a bit short and I don't even make some of them pay deposits ( not all of them - I am not stupid)

Yeah you still misread my post and worked out I am not hard working because I want to live in halls and not with second years
Reply 16
The land lord is not replying to my attempts to contact him to find out if he has leased the room or not. Last I heard from him was that he thinks he has but he is awaiting their deposit and signature. The deadline for my halls deposit is Friday morning they have already extended the deadline twice now.

If I don't hear from him by then how do I know he will even give me the key or answer me if I end up having to live in his house? He is pretty bad at communicating, and if I can't move in there and my halls reservation has gone to someone else I will have nowhere to live for uni which is ridiculous considering the amount of time I have put into trying to sort this out... Or I could give up my room in halls only to find out that he has in fact leased the room to someone else now and again, I would have nowhere to live thanks to him not being able to pick up a phone or send an email.

Any advice anyone?
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 17
Please close, all sorted

Quick Reply

Latest