The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by cant_think_of_name
Just a question about my other fantasy team. Nick Foles or Jay Cutler to start? I'm thinking Foles for Week 1 because they play the Jags but beyond that I'm not sure. Question marks about both of them but at their best they are brilliant. Just not sure which one to pick as a starter...

Six and two threes really, both have top 5 RB's and both are likely to win by a bit of a margin so they will be free to hand the ball off to their RBs pretty much whenever they or OC fancies. Chip Kelly doesn't believe in time in possession though so maybe the Eagles throw more if they go two touchdowns up? Both have got enough receiver options to throw the ball at will. I'd argue that the Jags have a better secondary than the Bills so there might be more opportunity to get long gains for Cutler, the Jags pass defense is concentrated on not giving up the big gains so they might give up more intermediary gains more regularly.

This has been a long winded way of saying that I don't actually know. I'd just lean towards Foles but I don't think there'll be much in it.
Looks like I can't make an 8pm draft, I'll have to auto it and hope for the best.
Just a question about my other fantasy team. Nick Foles or Jay Cutler to start? I'm thinking Foles for Week 1 because they play the Jags but beyond that I'm not sure. Question marks about both of them but at their best they are brilliant. Just not sure which one to pick as a starter...

Cutler will be best in the long term...if you have Marshall or Jeffrey, it also make sense to "double-down", though it is a stern test at Buffalo. Cutler should reasonably finish with something like 4100 yards, 27 TD, 15 INT; Foles will regress a little bit, but still put in good numbers.

I also think that for this year "because they're playing the Jags" will not be a reason in itself, to promote players from the bench.

Have you also scanned the waver wire to see who is available though? Someone like Rivers, Ryan or Romo? Even Dalton is an improvement in fantasy terms.

Original post by A Mysterious Lord
Looks like I can't make an 8pm draft, I'll have to auto it and hope for the best.

Same here. It is most annoying. :cool:
To be honest chaps, we're struggling to fill the last 3 spots so the draft may roll over to next week!
Original post by jammy4041
Cutler will be best in the long term...if you have Marshall or Jeffrey, it also make sense to "double-down", though it is a stern test at Buffalo. Cutler should reasonably finish with something like 4100 yards, 27 TD, 15 INT; Foles will regress a little bit, but still put in good numbers.

I also think that for this year "because they're playing the Jags" will not be a reason in itself, to promote players from the bench.

Have you also scanned the waver wire to see who is available though? Someone like Rivers, Ryan or Romo? Even Dalton is an improvement in fantasy terms.

Same here. It is most annoying. :cool:

All the good ones are gone off the wire (Tannehill, Palmer, Geno Smith, Fitzpatrick??! are the best ones left lol). I honestly think Cutler's gonna have a monster year so I'll probably start him most weeks but it's difficult to know having not seen either one play yet. I'm still leaning towards Foles at least for week 1 (I'm playing a fairly weak opponent, and my team is strong elsewhere, so I kind of hope it doesn't matter).

Also, any thoughts about taking Dwayne Bowe from the free agency? Is he better to have than Marques Colston in my back-ups after Week 1?
All the good ones are gone off the wire (Tannehill, Palmer, Geno Smith, Fitzpatrick??! are the best ones left lol). I honestly think Cutler's gonna have a monster year so I'll probably start him most weeks but it's difficult to know having not seen either one play yet. I'm still leaning towards Foles at least for week 1 (I'm playing a fairly weak opponent, and my team is strong elsewhere, so I kind of hope it doesn't matter).

Also, any thoughts about taking Dwayne Bowe from the free agency? Is he better to have than Marques Colston in my back-ups after Week 1?

I've drafted Tannehill around the 13th in some mocks, I like him this season. I've not drafted Palmer but people are projecting him for a good year too. I don't think either are better than your guys yet but I do think they might have value at some point.

Dwayne Bowe just drops passes when his team need them the most, his touchdown receptions will suffer for drops in the endzone. Colston is streets ahead. Justin Hunter is being called a deep sleeper and is 1 spot back from Dwayne Bowe on my board so I'd say that that pickup would be an error.

Does the draft potentially going back 1 week mean we'll have the joys of a WK17 final?! That would potentially suck but I suppose it's better than no league at all! I've done way too much mock drafting and draft board highlighting to have no league!
Original post by Wattsy
I've drafted Tannehill around the 13th in some mocks, I like him this season. I've not drafted Palmer but people are projecting him for a good year too. I don't think either are better than your guys yet but I do think they might have value at some point.

Dwayne Bowe just drops passes when his team need them the most, his touchdown receptions will suffer for drops in the endzone. Colston is streets ahead. Justin Hunter is being called a deep sleeper and is 1 spot back from Dwayne Bowe on my board so I'd say that that pickup would be an error.

Does the draft potentially going back 1 week mean we'll have the joys of a WK17 final?! That would potentially suck but I suppose it's better than no league at all! I've done way too much mock drafting and draft board highlighting to have no league!

Umm I think if we start week 2 we will just have a 14 week season with 15 and 16 being playoffs. Looking like thats what we are gonna have to do.

Gonna tag everyone in the post now and the guys that didnt join hopefully we can fill it up by then.
I did check some of the guys, some of them are just not very active right now. ProgFeanor for example hasn't logged on for 3 weeks. I'm happy to take your 2 mates if we can sort this one spot out in order to fill the league.

INCENTIVE: If you fill this last spot I will give you the basic version of my draft board without my personal notes in order to make your draft go more smoothly!
(edited 9 years ago)
x

x

x

Original post by shunter7634
x

Original post by Scott129
x

Original post by munn
x

Original post by IMakeSenseToNone
x

Original post by Malevolent
x

Original post by jimbles
x

Original post by Zubby77
x

Original post by ProgFeanor
x

Hi chaps,

Still 3 spots in the league empty, if it doesn't fill by 6pm BST today (2 hours before) I will knock it back to the same time next week and we will play from week 2. Shame really because there seemed enough interest. If you haven't already joined try and do it ASAP and we may still be able to draft.

Original post by Wattsy
I did check some of the guys, some of them are just not very active right now. ProgFeanor for example hasn't logged on for 3 weeks. I'm happy to take your 2 mates if we can sort this one spot out in order to fill the league.

INCENTIVE: If you fill this last spot I will give you the basic version of my draft board without my personal notes in order to make your draft go more smoothly!

Not looking too promising right now mate. I am doing my draft with friends tomorrow I think, if your going to be about I'll drop you a message on here about joining, usually we only have like 5-6 of us so we join a lobby on the public leagues on espn and play with a few randomers so the more the merrier.

... and cos of my holiday I haven't even managed a mock yet. Might get one done tonight!
(edited 9 years ago)
Can you not reduce the league down to 8 teams so we only need one more?
Can you not reduce the league down to 8 teams so we only need one more?

Possibly, I will look into it!

Done.

1 more! If someone has a friend that wants to draft invite them.
(edited 9 years ago)
No ones joined. Pushed it back a week to get another member. We will start in week 2, no worries. Sorry about the disappointment.
Original post by ..DT..
No ones joined. Pushed it back a week to get another member. We will start in week 2, no worries. Sorry about the disappointment.

Oh well, I get to see how my deep sleepers go and if Carson Palmer hype is the real thing

Cutler should have a monster year...until he goes down with injury, so having Foles is a good backup plan.

Possibly, but Bowe gets a lot of drops. I'd still take Colston at this point though. Is DeAndre Hopkins, or maybe even someone like Eddie Royal still available at this point? I would personally have them over Bowe...or at that point, if you need a back/up flex type player...maybe even someone like Dexter McCluster in the backfield role (set to have a Danny Woodhead role in the Titans backfield, apparently)
Since the draft was delayed a week, I figure I may as well get feedback on my other team (12-team league):

QB: Stafford
RB: Mathews, J. Bell, P. Thomas, Hyde, Bradshaw
WR: D. Thomas, Cobb, Floyd, T. Williams, Hunter
TE: Graham, Kelce
DST: Patriots
K: Dawson

So I had to pick 12th, and somehow got Graham. I feel very weak at RB though, hoping Carlos Hyde comes through...
Since the draft was delayed a week, I figure I may as well get feedback on my other team (12-team league):

QB: Stafford
RB: Mathews, J. Bell, P. Thomas, Hyde, Bradshaw
WR: D. Thomas, Cobb, Floyd, T. Williams, Hunter
TE: Graham, Kelce
DST: Patriots
K: Dawson

So I had to pick 12th, and somehow got Graham. I feel very weak at RB though, hoping Carlos Hyde comes through...

Yeah, running backs are very weak. Stafford will get yards, but he will turn the ball over. A lot. There is that risk.

Which Floyd though? Michael or Malcom? If it's Michael, the recieving corps is solid, as Fitz and him should get around the same production this year (~1100yards; 7-10 TD). If it's Malcom, you'd better pray he gets back to being a 1000-yard-a-season guy. The other two don't really inspire confidence....

Graham is a steal, and is presumably your first rounder. Presumably, your second rounder went on DT, so there really wasn't any talent at RB available when you came back in the third, fourth and fifth. Who's on the waiver wire, ASAP, or try and force a trade.

Also, I'm not sold on Dawson as a kicker. They'd be loads of kickers on the waiver wire. If Vinateri (or even Shawn Sheeshum) is still available, maybe try to pick him up.
Yeah, running backs are very weak. Stafford will get yards, but he will turn the ball over. A lot. There is that risk.

Which Floyd though? Michael or Malcom? If it's Michael, the recieving corps is solid, as Fitz and him should get around the same production this year (~1100yards; 7-10 TD). If it's Malcom, you'd better pray he gets back to being a 1000-yard-a-season guy. The other two don't really inspire confidence....

Graham is a steal, and is presumably your first rounder. Presumably, your second rounder went on DT, so there really wasn't any talent at RB available when you came back in the third, fourth and fifth. Who's on the waiver wire, ASAP, or try and force a trade.

Also, I'm not sold on Dawson as a kicker. They'd be loads of kickers on the waiver wire. If Vinateri (or even Shawn Sheeshum) is still available, maybe try to pick him up.

Yeah, I agree with most of that. I think Stafford will be good the majority of weeks, and hopefully Graham can pick up that slack. Else I'm going to have to trade for Brady/Cutler (who are both backups for their teams!) Dawson was primarily picked for week 1, when the 49ers are surely going to run the score up on the Cowboys. Then I'll see who's around.

While I am bad at RB, I started last year's draft Spiller-Richardson, and then David Wilson was my 3rd RB. So it can't possibly be worse than that, right? Still, it's a week 1 waiver priority.

And I think Michael Floyd will be the number 1 guy in Arizona sooner rather than later. Might try and use him to swing a trade for a good RB at some point. 12-team leagues are frustrating after being used to 10, the top talent disappears so much more quickly!
Yeah, I agree with most of that. I think Stafford will be good the majority of weeks, and hopefully Graham can pick up that slack. Else I'm going to have to trade for Brady/Cutler (who are both backups for their teams!) Dawson was primarily picked for week 1, when the 49ers are surely going to run the score up on the Cowboys. Then I'll see who's around.

While I am bad at RB, I started last year's draft Spiller-Richardson, and then David Wilson was my 3rd RB. So it can't possibly be worse than that, right? Still, it's a week 1 waiver priority.

And I think Michael Floyd will be the number 1 guy in Arizona sooner rather than later. Might try and use him to swing a trade for a good RB at some point. 12-team leagues are frustrating after being used to 10, the top talent disappears so much more quickly!

The difference between 8 and 12 team drafts is really vast. If you think everyone takes 3 running backs minimum (2 starters and a backup) you go from 24 RBs (8 spare starters) to 36 RBs (4 backups). I guess the trick in 8 man leagues is to avoid busts, whereas in 12 man leagues its really who can dig up the deep talent.

I've read a few articles on draft strategy and a lot of people are saying anything after a 7th pick is real zero RB territory this year. So I wouldn't consider your situation desperate, just be really tight on the waver wire, if you have a poor week 1 it might even help you in the long run. Last season I started 0-5 and made the playoff final on the TSR league.
mock1.png

So I went completely against my Zero RB comment in the last post and ran an All RB strat.

Thoughts?
Reply 8919
There are always wide receivers available in the lower rounds that will garner you points if you know where to look - starting running backs are the true commodity, and unless a starter gets injured or plays awfully and an unknown 1st or 2nd year player comes in and plays well (e.g. in 2013, Bobby Rainey, Zac Stacy) you're screwed if you don't have running backs that consistently put up 8-10 points a week.

On the other hand, there are receivers on the waiver wire consistently, and breakout candidates always waiting - I think I picked up Josh Gordon in round 10+ of 12 and 14 team leagues last year, and guys like Doug Baldwin/Golden Tate.

Even right now in my 12 team league Marvin Jones, Harry Douglas, Kenny Stills and Eddie Royal are still available - these are guys who can put up massive points in one off weeks if you know your opposition. All of those guys have huge upside.
On the other hand, the only RBs available are Donald Brown, Bobby Rainey and Bilal Powell.
They're all guys worth picking up if Matthews/Martin/Johnson go down, but otherwise you'll never have a reason to start them. Get the RBs early and pick up the WRs later.

Latest