The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 8920
Original post by ..DT..
mock1.png

So I went completely against my Zero RB comment in the last post and ran an All RB strat.

Thoughts?

I'm a big fan of the first 7 picks, but I think I would have gone with a QB before Colston - and definitely would have picked up a cuff for RGIII, who has boom or bust written all over him.
Original post by ..DT..
mock1.png

So I went completely against my Zero RB comment in the last post and ran an All RB strat.

Thoughts?

Amazed that Lynch was there at 10, and Bell at 30 (and Jordan Reed in the 12th round!). That said, I'd be really happy with that team...except RGIII. Don't trust him as far as Tim Tebow could throw him.
I'm sure you could trade Reggie Bush for a decent QB if you need an urgent replacement though.
Original post by munn
There are always wide receivers available in the lower rounds that will garner you points if you know where to look - starting running backs are the true commodity, and unless a starter gets injured or plays awfully and an unknown 1st or 2nd year player comes in and plays well (e.g. in 2013, Bobby Rainey, Zac Stacy) you're screwed if you don't have running backs that consistently put up 8-10 points a week.

On the other hand, there are receivers on the waiver wire consistently, and breakout candidates always waiting - I think I picked up Josh Gordon in round 10+ of 12 and 14 team leagues last year, and guys like Doug Baldwin/Golden Tate.

Even right now in my 12 team league Marvin Jones, Harry Douglas, Kenny Stills and Eddie Royal are still available - these are guys who can put up massive points in one off weeks if you know your opposition. All of those guys have huge upside.
On the other hand, the only RBs available are Donald Brown, Bobby Rainey and Bilal Powell.
They're all guys worth picking up if Matthews/Martin/Johnson go down, but otherwise you'll never have a reason to start them. Get the RBs early and pick up the WRs later.

I agree, but I got hugely burned last year by taking "starting running backs" in Spiller, Richardson and Wilson. Eddie Lacy was my only good RB pick last year. So I decided to go with some receivers I know will produce.
Also, at pick 12/13, the best I could get was DeMarco Murray (and we all know how much the Cowboys hate running, and they'll be behind a lot) or Doug Martin. I think I'd rather have D. Thomas...
8 team league will be very different though. Looking forward to that draft, I think it'll be very interesting!
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by munn
I'm a big fan of the first 7 picks, but I think I would have gone with a QB before Colston - and definitely would have picked up a cuff for RGIII, who has boom or bust written all over him.

Original post by shunter7634
Amazed that Lynch was there at 10, and Bell at 30 (and Jordan Reed in the 12th round!). That said, I'd be really happy with that team...except RGIII. Don't trust him as far as Tim Tebow could throw him.
I'm sure you could trade Reggie Bush for a decent QB if you need an urgent replacement though.

RG3 will bounce back this year IMO. He has targets, plays in still the worst division in the NFC, and has had time to recover properly from his injury.

Tampa D is only there for if Cam doesn't play, and if they do insanely well I will unload the saints.

Tannahill is avaliable on waivers remarkably, so I could always pick him up as backup. One guy has Foles and Rodgers. If Foles has a poor week 1/2 I could easily get him on the cheap.

EDIT: I'm confident RG3 will put up 20 points in a standard scoring league (1 for 25 yards or 10 yards rushing and 6 for a rushing TD 4 for a passing TD) against Houston.
(edited 9 years ago)
There are power rankings out and causing havoc so it must be BOLD PREDICTIONS time! Be warned, these are seriously bold.

Bold: Rodgers beats Manning's passing yards record but doesn't beat the touchdowns total
Bolder: The Cowboys finish #32 in overall standing despite Tony Romo throwing for over 4000 yards
Boldest: Cincinnati Bengals end up in the Superbowl
I had a stinker last year lets try again.

1. Jay Cutler leads the Chicago Bears to NFC north title with 12 wins, throwing a 3:1 TD ratio, 4500 yards and 25 TDs.
2. The Bills win one game. They're awful, like absolutely stinking. They're picking at #1 next year and EJ Manuel won't be starting by game 17.
3. The Only NFC team with a losing record from last season that finishes with a winning record (9 wins) is the Redskins. (out of 7 teams)
4. Tampa bay start the season 8-0, and finish 8-8.
Love the ambition DT! I've even backed up my Cincinatti claim with £5 EW bet that they win the Superbowl at 33/1. They have just become my 2nd team and will likely become my 1st team for the season if/when Jacksonville become irrelevant in the playoff chase... according to some bull**** analysis tool from some NFL broadcaster, they're starting 0-8 again so that might well be very soon!
Original post by Wattsy
Love the ambition DT! I've even backed up my Cincinatti claim with £5 EW bet that they win the Superbowl at 33/1. They have just become my 2nd team and will likely become my 1st team for the season if/when Jacksonville become irrelevant in the playoff chase... according to some bull**** analysis tool from some NFL broadcaster, they're starting 0-8 again so that might well be very soon!

Is Bortles starting at QB? Cos he looked swag in the pre-season game vs tampa.
Reply 8928
Bold Predictions eh? OK

Russell Wilson wins MVP
Vikings win the NFC North
Jacksonville earn a wildcard spot (IF AND ONLY IF Bortles starts 10+ games)
Having had 3 teams in the NFC finish with 10+ wins last year, only one will finish with a winning record
Denver DON'T win the AFC West

Oh and a bold prediction for tonight - Seattle win by 20+ points
(edited 9 years ago)
Packers win tonight. AROD all day.
Bold predictions...

49ers don't make the playoffs. Cardinals do.
Both AFC wildcards come from the North (thinking about it, that's not too bold, basically just me saying the Chargers aren't gonna make it lol)
Percy Harvin stays healthy and this is his year.
Kelvin Benjamin takes OROY...

...and Jerry Jones goes on a massive drunken rant on live TV, about how Manziel is his love-child... gets forced out of the Cowboys organisation and becomes a Manziel-stalker

Original post by ..DT..
Packers win tonight. AROD all day.

LOB baby
Original post by cant_think_of_name
Bold predictions...

49ers don't make the playoffs. Cardinals do.
Both AFC wildcards come from the North (thinking about it, that's not too bold, basically just me saying the Chargers aren't gonna make it lol)
Percy Harvin stays healthy and this is his year.
Kelvin Benjamin takes OROY...

...and Jerry Jones goes on a massive drunken rant on live TV, about how Manziel is his love-child... gets forced out of the Cowboys organisation and becomes a Manziel-stalker

LOB baby

Come on you have to be bolder than that!

I'll throw another in for good measure. Sherman will be suspended for more games than interceptions he makes.
Original post by ..DT..
Come on you have to be bolder than that!

I'll throw another in for good measure. Sherman will be suspended for more games than interceptions he makes.

Fiiine! I'll go with Eli throwing more INTs than Peyton throws TDs.
MJD takes Comeback Player of the Year
Tebow is on a roster by the end of the year (I vote the Bills)

Gerald McCoy takes DPOY and LeSean McCoy takes OPOY.. not that bold really but that would amuse me
Original post by cant_think_of_name
Fiiine! I'll go with Eli throwing more INTs than Peyton throws TDs.
MJD takes Comeback Player of the Year
Tebow is on a roster by the end of the year (I vote the Bills)

Gerald McCoy takes DPOY and LeSean McCoy takes OPOY.. not that bold really but that would amuse me

Thats the kind of BOLD I can appreciate. I'll eagerly watch the Manning v Manning Ints v TDs battle.

But

**** MJD and **** TIM TEBOW
(edited 9 years ago)
TEEEBLOWS

Montee Ball gonna be a top 3 running back this year, book it.
Original post by Wattsy
Thats the kind of BOLD I can appreciate. I'll eagerly watch the Manning v Manning Ints v TDs battle.

But

**** MJD and **** TIM TEBOW

The second two are very very bold indeed. I do expect MJD to improve this year, but it'll take something mammoth to take OPOY.... and Tebow, I honestly think the Bills will lose patience with both QBs. I don't know what they'll do after that but taking Tebow would be a talking point at least for a team who has been off the radar for so long
(edited 9 years ago)
sorry guys, been so busy, I'm still down for the draft if we still have a space?

I've also done a 20man league with my American football team mates (yeah I play it too!), and that is bloody tough to draft in.

Here is my team :

Team.jpg

I feel I did well, considering it was a 20 man league and it got difficult after round 5/6 lol.

What do you guys think of my team?

My flex did my head in this week, I have decided to go with Hawkins from the Browns at Flex instead of Miller, purely because fins don't have a pure starter and he'll be swapping shift wise, and I feel Randle may not do as well as Hawkins. Reasoning for Hawkins is the Browns depth is low at WR and he is, atm, their main man for WR so I expect him to make some plays.

I even think the Browns could win there week 1 game for a change.
Original post by ..DT..
TEEEBLOWS

Montee Ball gonna be a top 3 running back this year, book it.

Peyton's good for RBs but he's not that good :redface:
Original post by jimbles
sorry guys, been so busy, I'm still down for the draft if we still have a space?

I've also done a 20man league with my American football team mates (yeah I play it too!), and that is bloody tough to draft in.

Here is my team :

Team.jpg

I feel I did well, considering it was a 20 man league and it got difficult after round 5/6 lol.

My flex did my head in this week, I have decided to go with Hawkins from the Browns at Flex instead of Miller, purely because fins don't have a pure starter and he'll be swapping shift wise, and I feel Randle may not do as well as Hawkins. Reasoning for Hawkins is the Browns depth is low at WR and he is, atm, their main man for WR so I expect him to make some plays.

Not bad given the massive league. I'd have wanted a deep sleeper WR rather than a 2nd TE but who knows, in a league that big all of my guys might have been gone!

I'll have another prediction. Carolina finish 6-10 or worse and Cam Newton ends up a free agent after the end of his rookie contract (I don't actually know when that is)
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by jimbles

Here is my team :

Team.jpg

We have 1 spot left and we are drafting next wednesday and starting from week 2, the link is either on the last page or the page before so join up pal.

Latest