The Student Room Group

Atom, Molecule, Element

Finding it hard to understand the differences and definition... So basically correct me if I am wrong please ... an element is two or more atoms chemically bonded with each other, an atom is a element e.g. 'o' or 'na' which has proton, neutrons inside the nucleus and electrons orbiting it and a element is an atom ?
Original post by Kitty-meaw
Finding it hard to understand the differences and definition... So basically correct me if I am wrong please ... an element is two or more atoms chemically bonded with each other, an atom is a element e.g. 'o' or 'na' which has proton, neutrons inside the nucleus and electrons orbiting it and a element is an atom ?

Moved to Chemistry sub section :smile:

atom - fundamental building block, is composed of a nucleus of protons and neutrons and electrons orbiting it (not technically true but sufficient, there's also quarks that make up neutrons and protons but again not too important for chemistry)

a molecule is a (neutral group of) multiple atoms chemically bonded together like O2 or CO2. if it's charged, it's an ION, not a molecule!

elements is a way of classifying different types of atoms, for example a substance made up of atoms with 6 protons is referred to as carbon

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Arithmeticae
atom - fundamental building block, is composed of a nucleus of protons and neutrons and electrons orbiting it (not technically true but sufficient, there's also quarks that make up neutrons and protons but again not too important for chemistry)

a molecule is a (neutral group of) multiple atoms chemically bonded together like O2 or CO2. if it's charged, it's an ION, not a molecule!

elements is a way of classifying different types of atoms, for example a substance made up of atoms with 6 protons is referred to as carbon

Posted from TSR Mobile

thank you:smile:!@@
Reply 4
Original post by MathsNerd1
Moved to Chemistry sub section :smile:

ok:smile:

If I compare it to lego, to give a really really simplistic explanation:

An atom is one individual lego piece. Each atom is made up of protons and neutrons in a nucleus surrounded by electrons.

A molecule is two or more lego pieces stuck together.

Lego pieces of the same colour are of the same element. Different elements have different numbers of protons.

...hope that's some help...
Reply 6
Original post by Nice.Guy
If I compare it to lego, to give a really really simplistic explanation:

An atom is one individual lego piece. Each atom is made up of protons and neutrons in a nucleus surrounded by electrons.

A molecule is two or more lego pieces stuck together.

Lego pieces of the same colour are of the same element. Different elements have different numbers of protons.

...hope that's some help...

wow great example, thanks! :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest