The Student Room Group

Remarks for 2014.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by bananaminion
OMG JUST AS I WAS ON THIS THREAD COLLEGE RANG ME AND SAID MY REMARK IS BACK (Sent it off on Monday, AQA French A2 for anyone interested). It should arrive in the post tomorrow.
This is the day before results day all over again

You sent it off on Monday and it's already done? I'm still waiting since results day for OCR to remark my Geography A2 paper. :frown:
Original post by DailyMailIsALiar
You sent it off on Monday and it's already done? I'm still waiting since results day for OCR to remark my Geography A2 paper. :frown:

Ahh hopefully yours'll not take too much longer. I was so surprised though, my exams person was talking about maybe having to send it to me at uni.
Original post by Kcash
Edexcel history exam went up 14 ums! Still think it's incorrectly marked but overall achieved an A now. Expected an A* tbh. This is an A-level non priority remark.

How do they get it so wrong?
Reply 203
Original post by callum_r
How do they get it so wrong?

It always seems to happen to me. AS English lit I was awarded a u in the exam. This year I retook that exam and achieved nearly full ums and got an A overall. Loads of people in my school did a lot worse in history than they were expected. Think there may be a real problem with the marking.
Original post by Kcash
It always seems to happen to me. AS English lit I was awarded a u in the exam. This year I retook that exam and achieved nearly full ums and got an A overall. Loads of people in my school did a lot worse in history than they were expected. Think there may be a real problem with the marking.

I think i'm on a different board but our whole history class did worse. It seems the examiner decided he didn't like the structure we were given and marked us down a whole grade. Everyone got the same grade because of it despite our essays have a great deal of variation before we went into the exam.
Reply 205
Original post by callum_r
I think i'm on a different board but our whole history class did worse. It seems the examiner decided he didn't like the structure we were given and marked us down a whole grade. Everyone got the same grade because of it despite our essays have a great deal of variation before we went into the exam.

What grade did you achieve with which exam board if you don't mind me asking?
Original post by Kcash
What grade did you achieve with which exam board if you don't mind me asking?

A low B but I was working at top A grade for the duration of the year (amongst a few others) whilst the rest of the class didn't really get above a mid B. The board is WJEC and they're usually pretty good, but this one examiner seems to have really hit hard about our class having a similar structure in the answers. By similar I mean similar, they weren't copied or anything, we were just given a template of how to manage each paragraph's beginning and end.
Original post by dailymailisaliar
is that 26 raw marks or 26 ums marks?

ums. F761
Original post by Compost
ums. F761

Wow, that's 13 raw marks, how can an examiner get it that wrong?! Are you waiting on any F764 remarks? I put in for it on results day and still haven't heard, it's beginning to really get to me!
Hello everyone,
I'm in a tricky situation and any help would be excellent. I'm looking at studying geography at Bristol uni , it wants AAA and I have A*AB ( A* in prod des, A in geog and B in bio) and an A* in ep related to geography. Do you think I would get a place if I applied it would they instantly dismiss me new use of my grades . Also I'm 2ums of an A* in geography which is like 1 mark . I can get it remarked but if I loose marks I can lose the A and get a B . I'd have to loose 8 marks for that to happen . Do I remark it or not , my teachers all say it's your choice but loosing 8 marks is a huge amount and as I only need less than 1 mark it comes across as they think I should do it without advising for obvious reasons . I know it's long but thank you in advance for responses !! }
Original post by Cranberrysauce
Hello everyone,
I'm in a tricky situation and any help would be excellent. I'm looking at studying geography at Bristol uni , it wants AAA and I have A*AB ( A* in prod des, A in geog and B in bio) and an A* in ep related to geography. Do you think I would get a place if I applied it would they instantly dismiss me new use of my grades . Also I'm 2ums of an A* in geography which is like 1 mark . I can get it remarked but if I loose marks I can lose the A and get a B . I'd have to loose 8 marks for that to happen . Do I remark it or not , my teachers all say it's your choice but loosing 8 marks is a huge amount and as I only need less than 1 mark it comes across as they think I should do it without advising for obvious reasons . I know it's long but thank you in advance for responses !! }

Are you taking a gap year and applying for next year?
You should probably ring up Bristol and ask them if they'd be likely to accept you with that, after all you have actually achieved the grades whereas when they give out offers, there's the chance people won't achieve and they'll be let in anyway.
But if they say nope, then may as well remark, it looks pretty close and I shouldn't think that it would go down by that much..
Good luck whatever you do!
Are you taking a gap year and applying for next year?
You should probably ring up Bristol and ask them if they'd be likely to accept you with that, after all you have actually achieved the grades whereas when they give out offers, there's the chance people won't achieve and they'll be let in anyway.
But if they say nope, then may as well remark, it looks pretty close and I shouldn't think that it would go down by that much..
Good luck whatever you do!

Thankyou for the response , yes I'm applying for next year . Being so close to the A* is annoying but losing the A would be awfull . Do you think Bristol would be able to give me a sensible answer or if I apply for them will they instantly turn me down because I'm a grade short . My friend got in with the Shane grades as me to do the Same course but she is going this year. I'm not sure if that's because she was awaiting he results whereas I have mine ? Thanks again
Thankyou for the response , yes I'm applying for next year . Being so close to the A* is annoying but losing the A would be awfull . Do you think Bristol would be able to give me a sensible answer or if I apply for them will they instantly turn me down because I'm a grade short . My friend got in with the Shane grades as me to do the Same course but she is going this year. I'm not sure if that's because she was awaiting he results whereas I have mine ? Thanks again

Yeah, I'm 3 UMS away from an A* in one subject myself which I found irritating at first but I don't really mind now, then again I do have a place at uni already so nothing depended on it but pride!
I guess all you can do is try, you never know, they may decide that the grade in the hand is better than the grade in the bush! Or you could email their geography admissions as well, but I'd say you have a pretty good shot if you say your friend got in with those results!
Yeah, I'm 3 UMS away from an A* in one subject myself which I found irritating at first but I don't really mind now, then again I do have a place at uni already so nothing depended on it but pride!
I guess all you can do is try, you never know, they may decide that the grade in the hand is better than the grade in the bush! Or you could email their geography admissions as well, but I'd say you have a pretty good shot if you say your friend got in with those results!

Yes I can understand your irritation with it all :smile: it's just another a* would give me way more bargaining power !
When is the deadline for remarks this year?
Reply 215
Original post by misteltain
When is the deadline for remarks this year?

20th September. :smile:
Original post by BWCW

Japanese A2 is pending...

Good luck with the Japanese remark. :wink:

Quick question, how did you find A2 Japanese compared to AS? I had my first A2 lesson today and had a bit of a panic while looking over the translation section from an A2 past paper that my teacher dumped in front of me, as there was a lot of stuff I didn't know how to translate into Japanese. Did you find the A2 much more of a challenge, and how did you deal with it, if you don't mind me asking? :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Hello everyone,

If anyone has any further advice it would be muchly appreciated !
Reply 218
Hello! I have a friend who took Edexcel AS English Language and Literature. In his coursework he got a high A and in the written exam he got a high C. Normally he would get high As in his written exams hence this was worth "challenging".

After the remark, he had been notified that his UMS had remained exactly the same! On each question the A01 / A02 marks were given the same mark as those by the original examiner.

Days after this news, the post arrived with the copy of his English paper. There was a fundamental error on the first question- for those of you who do E.L.L Edexcel, you should know that the first question is either right or wrong (and it was right and marked wrong).

Therefore even after the remark, this was not ammended and the exact same marks were given. In addtion, our teacher confirmed the error of the remark.

I am a close friend of his and would like to know if a second appeal would be possible.

Is it? Many thanks,

Silphon
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Silphon
Hello! I have a friend who took Edexcel AS English Language and Literature. In his coursework he got a high A and in the written exam he got a high C. Normally he would get high As in his written exams hence this was worth "challenging".

After the remark, he had been notified that his UMS had remained exactly the same! On each question the A01 / A02 marks were given the same mark as those by the original examiner.

Days after this news, the post arrived with the copy of his English paper. There was a fundamental error on the first question- for those of you who do E.L.L Edexcel, you should know that the first question is either right or wrong (and it was right and marked wrong).

Therefore even after the remark, this was not ammended and the exact same marks were given. In addtion, our teacher confirmed the error of the remark.

I am a close friend of his and would like to know if a second appeal would be possible.

Is it? Many thanks,

Silphon

Did you say the post arrived with a copy of his script? I thought it was an electronic copy sent by email?

Quick Reply

Latest