The Student Room Group

How To Revise?!?!

Ive just started Year 11, and need to start revising and preparing for the GCSES next year, however I cant find a method of revision which suits me, maybe you could all share your methods and I will try those?

Thank you :smile:
Avi
Reply 1
Original post by avi_jmister
Ive just started Year 11, and need to start revising and preparing for the GCSES next year, however I cant find a method of revision which suits me, maybe you could all share your methods and I will try those?

Thank you :smile:
Avi

Hey! I finished year 11 this year, and I got pretty decent grades. The way I revised was listening really good in class, asking loads of questions, making comprehensive notes, going home and re-writing notes on little index cards then writing out questions and answers for myself to go through later. Also watching videos on youtube, reading through various revision books I bought, doing the practice questions in those, and nearer to the exams doing loooots of past papers. Also BBC bitesize is quite good for taking notes from then re-writing on index cards. Good luck! :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Qaiys
Hey! I finished year 11 this year, and I got pretty decent grades. The way I revised was listening really good in class, asking loads of questions, making comprehensive notes, going home and re-writing notes on little index cards then writing out questions and answers for myself to go through later. Also watching videos on youtube, reading through various revision books I bought, doing the practice questions in those, and nearer to the exams doing loooots of past papers. Also BBC bitesize is quite good for taking notes from then re-writing on index cards. Good luck! :smile:

thank you so much :smile:
I will definitely try these methods ;D

do you find reading effective? or reading a chapter then answering the questions?
Reply 3
thank you so much :smile:
I will definitely try these methods ;D

do you find reading effective? or reading a chapter then answering the questions?

No worries! Good luck :smile:!

And I learn best by reading personally, so I would read a page/chapter and make notes of everything then go through my notes and condense/perfect the notes onto a little card, then make up a Q&A card from that, but it's probably best to get a variety to stay alert, so like watch a few videos, look at some diagrams. Also really important to look at different explanations of the same thing to make sure you fully understand.
Reply 4
Original post by Qaiys
No worries! Good luck :smile:!

And I learn best by reading personally, so I would read a page/chapter and make notes of everything then go through my notes and condense/perfect the notes onto a little card, then make up a Q&A card from that, but it's probably best to get a variety to stay alert, so like watch a few videos, look at some diagrams. Also really important to look at different explanations of the same thing to make sure you fully understand.

thank you, will start tomorrow :biggrin:
I have the mocks in the last week of November, and those grades go to the colleges you apply for, so I need to do well :tongue:

thank you so much, and well done on getting good GCSEs

Avi
Reply 5
thank you, will start tomorrow :biggrin:
I have the mocks in the last week of November, and those grades go to the colleges you apply for, so I need to do well :tongue:

thank you so much, and well done on getting good GCSEs

Avi

No worries, hope you do well! :smile: Thank you :biggrin:
Reply 6
For essay based subjects such as history, geography and the like, condense your notes into bullet points 3/4 lines long. Read these aloud, try to write the bullet points out again without looking, this will take usually 3 or 4 times writing it out and repeating it out loud until you can write the bullet points out without looking whatsoever. It is boring and tedious yes, but it is very effective.

For maths and science based subjects, past papers and practice questions are easily the best way to revise, especially for maths. Do some questions out of the textbook on each topic until you are confident that you can do them without looking at notes or examples. Then move on to past papers, do a couple with your notes, then just do as many past papers as possible without notes. Mark them fairly, revise over any topics you find yourself repeatedly getting wrong. I found myself hitting 95%+ in the past papers towards the end, but this will vary depending on how good you are in that subject.
(edited 9 years ago)
I find flash cards really helpful! I put the key word on one side and the definition on the other, and it really helps me! Using lots of colour on spider diagrams and posters can really help too if your a visual learner! Reading notes aloud, and telling other people what you've learnt benefits an auditory learner! Kinaesthetic learners however tend to find it easier to learn by using dance moves and mimes, to memorize key information! Try a bit of each method to see which one works best for you! he obvious repetition also can help a lot! Hope this helps a little bit :smile:
I like to rewrite notes and do past papers! What I find is the most important however is actually​ studying. I have trouble with that. There's this (free) app called Study Checker that I find quite helpful; so that study "breaks" don't become longer than the actual studying! :biggrin:

Edit: You may also want to google the Feynman method!
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 9
thank you, all your answers will definitely help!

Avi

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending