The Student Room Group

NHS charges exemption

Hi,

I'm a university student and am aged 19. I'm from a low income household. I am in receipt of student finance. Could anyone clarify whether it is possible for me to get exemption from NHS. Prescription charges if I fill in the hc1 form.
If your only income is student finance then yes, you should be exempt from charges

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Argentinababy
Hi,

I'm a university student and am aged 19. I'm from a low income household. I am in receipt of student finance. Could anyone clarify whether it is possible for me to get exemption from NHS. Prescription charges if I fill in the hc1 form.

Provided your student finance, any savings you have, and any help you get from your parents financially does not total more than £16,000 you should be entitled to some help (as stated on the form). I'm also a uni student and was deemed eligible for help with prescription costs, eye test costs, dental costs and the cost of glasses, as my income (student finance and bursaries) was deemed low enough.

However, a friend of mine recieves around £6000 in student finance loans and grant, plus £60 per week from their parents, and was told that she cannot receive help as it was deemed she can afford prescription charges.

Just fill the form in carefully and see what they say :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Sophi12
Provided your student finance, any savings you have, and any help you get from your parents financially does not total more than £16,000 you should be entitled to some help (as stated on the form). I'm also a uni student and was deemed eligible for help with prescription costs, eye test costs, dental costs and the cost of glasses, as my income (student finance and bursaries) was deemed low enough.

However, a friend of mine recieves around £6000 in student finance loans and grant, plus £60 per week from their parents, and was told that she cannot receive help as it was deemed she can afford prescription charges.

Just fill the form in carefully and see what they say :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

It also depends on how much student finance you get. But yes, having savings over £16k does exclude you from getting help with prescriptions.
Original post by OU Student
It also depends on how much student finance you get. But yes, having savings over £16k does exclude you from getting help with prescriptions.

I got about £6000 last year, and am due to get the same this year. I also live at home with my parents during term time. Will that affect my chances?
Original post by Argentinababy
I got about £6000 last year, and am due to get the same this year. I also live at home with my parents during term time. Will that affect my chances?

Probably. You may get some help. They disregard (ignore) some money for books and travel.

Quick Reply