The Student Room Group

The Italian Football Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by little_tom
He cited personal reasons for leaving. Apparently didn't feel motivated enough, didn't cite transfers. Juventus were surprised by the decision. Its a bit of a bitch move by Conte considering Juve stood by him during his ban and now he's left them in a poor position (losing Iturbe to Roma, Evra re-considering, possibility of Vidal/Pogba/Pirlo leaving, etc.)

Everyone always cites personal reasons.

The timing of it is worse. Basically into pre-season (delayed due to WC too) and most managers who wanted to move, already have.
Allegri appointed as the new Juventus coach. Not sure what the board are thinking in getting him. He's a pretty shocking manager.
It's a very strange one... So quick too?

Roma and Napoli need to pounce now. Roma seem to be doing better in the market so I give them the edge so far. We'll see how Napoli do and whether they keep hold of Callejon and Higuain.
:O

Allegri replaces Conte at Juventus?

Congratulations to Roma for winning the 2014/15 Scudetto
Original post by jam278
Nope, don't ever cut down on essays.

He sounds like an interesting prospect. There's so many good leagues around to watch. Next season I'm going to be following Roma(ashley cole) and Dortmund for sure.

Also Allegri has joined Juve so from what it looks like Serie A won't be as one sided as it was last season.

I've moved your quote over here Jam - didn't want to clog up the Liverpool thread with talking about Roma.

They are looking ridiculous going into this season. They’ve added some great depth to their squad with Keita, Ashley Cole, Ucan, Urby Emanuelson and as of today Iturbe signed for them. Still annoyed with how Porto treated him and that it didn’t work out for him there but I am still a huge fan of him so I really want this move to work out for him. Hopefully they can keep hold of Benatia and you lot won’t steal him away to the Bridge, then they've still got the return of Kevin Strootman towards the end of the year too. But they certainly haven’t been wasting any time in this transfer window.

Think it will be good for the league if it remains wide open for the majority of the season... then with Napoli snatching the title right at the end. :wink:
Original post by ra-ra-ra
I've moved your quote over here Jam - didn't want to clog up the Liverpool thread with talking about Roma.

They are looking ridiculous going into this season. They’ve added some great depth to their squad with Keita, Ashley Cole, Ucan, Urby Emanuelson and as of today Iturbe signed for them. Still annoyed with how Porto treated him and that it didn’t work out for him there but I am still a huge fan of him so I really want this move to work out for him. Hopefully they can keep hold of Benatia and you lot won’t steal him away to the Bridge, then they've still got the return of Kevin Strootman towards the end of the year too. But they certainly haven’t been wasting any time in this transfer window.

Think it will be good for the league if it remains wide open for the majority of the season... then with Napoli snatching the title right at the end. :wink:

Hmm, Roma could even win the scudetto next season. Keita was a very underrated player at Barca, they haven't replaced him properly. He's still better than Song. Cole I rate obviously and he's still a top 5 LB in the world.

We won't be getting Benatia don't worry. We got Zouma to replace Luiz as the backup CB.

Strootman coming back helps them a lot too. Don't get why United didn't buy him last season.

But yes this will be a good Serie A. When you saw Tevez and Llorente being bought by Juve you thought it was all over for the league.

Roma are definites for top 3. Juve we'll see if they sell Vidal/Pogba. Napoli should get top 3 too. They've replaced cavani with a lot of players who needed to bed in. The Milan clubs are an unknown quantity, especially AC. Inter aren't strong enough, just not enough quality in midfield and up front they rely too much on palacio.
Allegri is still a good enough coach for Juventus when given the right tools, at least for the short-term until they get another replacement. I still expect them to be favorites. Also performed better than Conte did in Europe with a less elite squad, and has experience managing big egos (Ibra, Silva, etc.). Roma's signings haven't impressed me. Cole was obviously a good signing, Emanuelson has a lot to prove. I still think they need a center forward, not Iturbe.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by asr11
Allegri appointed as the new Juventus coach. Not sure what the board are thinking in getting him. He's a pretty shocking manager.

Really? The criticism of Allegri is so over the top - he's had one bad season in management, and even that wasn't all his fault. Losing Conte is a massive blow though.
Original post by Stramala
:O

Allegri replaces Conte at Juventus?

Congratulations to Roma for winning the 2014/15 Scudetto

Allegri's tactics

Hey guys,

I wrote this on Allegri and Juventus, and why the champions should not be written off this season despite the loss of Conte:

http://backpagefootball.com/dont-mock-max-juventus-still-team-beat-italy/81596/

Would really appreciate it if you could have a look, if it's something you're interested in reading.

I've recently started to write various pieces on Italian football for a number of sites, and if anyone thinks they may be interested in seeing more, feel free to give me a follow on @GregLeaFootball. I'll post some links on here if people are interested in reading more - my article next week will be on Udinese.

Thanks all!
Original post by gmj1892
Hey guys,

I wrote this on Allegri and Juventus, and why the champions should not be written off this season despite the loss of Conte:

http://backpagefootball.com/dont-mock-max-juventus-still-team-beat-italy/81596/

Would really appreciate it if you could have a look, if it's something you're interested in reading.

I've recently started to write various pieces on Italian football for a number of sites, and if anyone thinks they may be interested in seeing more, feel free to give me a follow on @GregLeaFootball. I'll post some links on here if people are interested in reading more - my article next week will be on Udinese.

Thanks all!

Very good post. :smile:

I liked it and it's given me a bit more understanding on Allegri. I did feel that the situation was not his fault and losing top players like Ibra and Silva will hurt any team. He made a mistake in releasing pirlo for sure but that happens from time to time.
Original post by jam278
Very good post. :smile:

I liked it and it's given me a bit more understanding on Allegri. I did feel that the situation was not his fault and losing top players like Ibra and Silva will hurt any team. He made a mistake in releasing pirlo for sure but that happens from time to time.

Thanks very much!

I do feel the criticism is often very OTT with Allegri. Having said that, I don't think Juve will reach the levels they got to under Conte this season but, of course, they may not have to.
I wrote this on the Udinese model, take a look if you're interested! http://www.thesefootballtimes.net/#!the-udinese-model/c1mcc
Original post by gmj1892
I wrote this on the Udinese model, take a look if you're interested! http://www.thesefootballtimes.net/#!the-udinese-model/c1mcc

That opening paragraph is great (as is the whole piece) but that really made you remember what a set of cracking players have passed through Udinese. You forget (well I did up until around two months ago when i was reading about Fiorentina purchasing his remaining rights) that Cuadrado was once there. It just never took off for him whilst he was at the club.

I have to say I'm most excited about Di Natale's decision to not retire for one more season. Surely he has to surpass that 200 Serie A goal tally now? He's so close to it so it would be a shame for him not to reach that milestone, so I'm happy has the chance to reach it.
That opening paragraph is great (as is the whole piece) but that really made you remember what a set of cracking players have passed through Udinese. You forget (well I did up until around two months ago when i was reading about Fiorentina purchasing his remaining rights) that Cuadrado was once there. It just never took off for him whilst he was at the club.

I have to say I'm most excited about Di Natale's decision to not retire for one more season. Surely he has to surpass that 200 Serie A goal tally now? He's so close to it so it would be a shame for him not to reach that milestone, so I'm happy has the chance to reach it.

It really is astonishing to think of all the great names, isn't it? All at a traditionally small club in a pretty unglamorous city.

I'm sure Toto will break the 200. I predict it'll be December when he announces his retirement at the end of the year, then April when he decides on one more season...
Original post by gmj1892
It really is astonishing to think of all the great names, isn't it? All at a traditionally small club in a pretty unglamorous city.

I'm sure Toto will break the 200. I predict it'll be December when he announces his retirement at the end of the year, then April when he decides on one more season...

Yeah, I think saying he will get it by Christmas is pretty fair as he only needs seven more goals, I think? And he can keep saying he will retire as long as he always retracts what he says, I still want a couple more seasons out of this guy.

Let's see what Stramaccioni can do at Udinese too, I'm very intrigued to see how this will work out for him. Also, I'm a bit of a freak when it comes to the re/construction of stadiums so with the Friuli undergoing its big renovation I'm also intrigued to see how this will end up looking. I believe they plan to have it ready by around this time next year with the North stand finished by December, so I'll certainly be keeping an eye on that as we should see the significant changes continue as the season progresses.

Anyway, it's back! :biggrin: I missed the Juve match but watched Roma vs Fiorentina. I'll admit I didn't enjoy watching Iturbe playing for Roma tonight. Although he was at Hellas last season it didn't seem to bother me as much as it has done tonight with seeing him play for Roma. So this is one signing that I will have to get used to as it annoys me that it didn't work out for him whilst he was at Porto. Whilst it's good for him and his career that he is now with Roma the selfish part of me still wishes he was back in our blue and white stripes. Can't really argue with that scoreline in my eyes as Roma played some decent football. Better in the first half as they switched off in that second half but De Sanctis made a couple of big saves to keep them in there.
(edited 9 years ago)

Anyway, it's back! :biggrin: I missed the Juve match but watched Roma vs Fiorentina. I'll admit I didn't enjoy watching Iturbe playing for Roma tonight. Although he was at Hellas last season it didn't seem to bother me as much as it has done tonight with seeing him play for Roma. So this is one signing that I will have to get used to as it annoys me that it didn't work out for him whilst he was at Porto. Whilst it's good for him and his career that he is now with Roma the selfish part of me still wishes he was back in our blue and white stripes. Can't really argue with that scoreline in my eyes as Roma played some decent football. Better in the first half as they switched off in that second half but De Sanctis made a couple of big saves to keep them in there.

I watched this game and tbh while it was a good game, I was pretty disappointed by Fiorentina in the first half. They had no ideas backed off and let Roma play to easily. They were better in the second half but should be significantly better when Cuadrado returns, they also bought Milan Badelj who could prove to be a very sure signing.

Roma were good though, very good at times. They toured in the second half bit once they get guilty up to speed they could prove to be truly devastating, even outside the first eleven they have great depth and will be a serious threat not to be underestimated in Europe.
“You can have talent but if you don’t put yourself at the service of the team, it doesn't interest me"

Just realised Balo been left out of the Italy squad. Very sharp message from Conte.

He went on to say "There is no preclusion against anyone. But one has to reach the national team on merit." Yet Giovinco and Quagliarella get's called up!? Good old Italian hypocrisy
Original post by sevchenko
“You can have talent but if you don’t put yourself at the service of the team, it doesn't interest me"

Just realised Balo been left out of the Italy squad. Very sharp message from Conte.

He went on to say "There is no preclusion against anyone. But one has to reach the national team on merit." Yet Giovinco and Quagliarella get's called up!? Good old Italian hypocrisy

Lots of people were saying that he would be 'obliged' to call up Balotelli because Puma pay his wages. Not including him in the first squad goes someway to squash those rumours. Add to that Balotelli's form has been bad to awful recently and you can see why he wasn't called up.
Original post by mojojojo101
Lots of people were saying that he would be 'obliged' to call up Balotelli because Puma pay his wages. Not including him in the first squad goes someway to squash those rumours. Add to that Balotelli's form has been bad to awful recently and you can see why he wasn't called up.

The season barely started there's no form to judge lol. Even going on World performances can you honestly say Immobile, Marchisio, Candreva, Motta, Insigne, Darmian or Verratti performed better than Balo at the WC?

Granted it does look like he lacks a bit of match fitness but that doesn't excuse that fact that Parolo, Giovinco, Quagliarella and originally Osvaldo were called up before him...Osvaldo ffs

Quick Reply

Latest