The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by The Right
There was never ever going to be peace. What first maybe had been political and demographic issues have developed into cultural and religious clashes. For example I have Muslim friends who hate Jews so much, have been racist and discriminative since the first day I have met them. The hatred on both sides is ingrained in their minds and bloodline so lasting peace is pointless effort. But let's say peace was achieved. The occurrence of ISIS in the region had destabilised the Middle East so much that if it reached the borders of Israel which many predict will happen, the whole region will be engulfed in war once more.

Your Muslim friends aren't living under occupation, oppression, blockade and the constant threat of death, of course a lifetime of someone ****ing on you breeds hatred, but if you offer these people a future for them and their children they will take it in a heartbeat.
Original post by DaveSmith99
Your Muslim friends aren't living under occupation, oppression, blockade and the constant threat of death, of course a lifetime of someone ****ing on you breeds hatred, but if you offer these people a future for them and their children they will take it in a heartbeat.

But the west has accepted 10s of millions of Muslims from war torn countries, dictatorships and economically poor nations yet still Muslims hate the west, hate western ideals and a good handful want to destroy it. I know loads of Muslims always moaning about the EU, North America, South America, same old stuff you know.

My point is if allowing them to settle in our society(which is near impossible the other way around) is not working what good will Israel pandering to Hamas do. If they fight Hamas they will be hated, if they do not fight Hamas they will still be hated. Seriously what good has tolerance and handing benefits, houses, education, healthcare, democracy done for us accept make terrorism at one of its most dangerous levels. You can not reason with them.
(edited 9 years ago)
But the west has accepted 10s of millions of Muslims from war torn countries, dictatorships and economically poor nations yet still Muslims hate the west, hate western ideals and a good handful want to destroy it. I know loads of Muslims always moaning about the EU, North America, South America, same old stuff you know.

My point is if allowing them to settle in our society(which is near impossible the other way around) is not working what good will Israel pandering to Hamas do. If they fight Hamas they will be hated, if they do not fight Hamas they will still be hated. Seriously what good has tolerance and handing benefits, houses, education, healthcare, democracy done for us accept make terrorism at one of its most dangerous levels. You can not reason with them.

Muslim integration in the UK is an entirely separate issue that has little to do with Israel and Palestine. The point of a solution to the conflict is not to pander to Hamas, but to offer peace and freedom to millions of people who currently have neither.
Muslim integration in the UK is an entirely separate issue that has little to do with Israel and Palestine. The point of a solution to the conflict is not to pander to Hamas, but to offer peace and freedom to millions of people who currently have neither.

Which, in the short term, would easiest come by pandering to Hamas and forcing Israel to withdraw from the West Bank.
Original post by Jammy Duel
Which, in the short term, would easiest come by pandering to Hamas and forcing Israel to withdraw from the West Bank.

I don't really see that as pandering to Hamas tbh, more just the most logical and moral cause of action.

Well discussions into long term peace can only proceed when a new power is instated in Palestine. Because Hamas will not hold presidential elections and have eradicated all democracy then either the people of Palestine topple the government or Israel. Hamas is a designated terrorist organisation by most international bodies and nations. Long term peace is pointless as they have made their motive clear.
I don't really see that as pandering to Hamas tbh, more just the most logical and moral cause of action.

Well, the short term fix for the Gaza part would be giving Hamas exactly what they want, even if it is for the people, so in that respect it kinda is pandering to them.
Well discussions into long term peace can only proceed when a new power is instated in Palestine. Because Hamas will not hold presidential elections and have eradicated all democracy then either the people of Palestine topple the government or Israel. Hamas is a designated terrorist organisation by most international bodies and nations. Long term peace is pointless as they have made their motive clear.

And while Israel continues to annex land, blockade Gaza and bomb Palestinians the support for Hamas will only grow, Hamas only has power because Israel provides an environment that breeds extremism.
And while Israel continues to annex land, blockade Gaza and bomb Palestinians the support for Hamas will only grow, Hamas only has power because Israel provides an environment that breeds extremism.

I'm sure that's the narrative you tell yourself. Deep down, you hope that fighting terror causes more terror, whereas Hamas is actually less popular than ever before.

Prior to the most recent Gaza conflict, Hamas' popularity was down to about 1/3rd of the Gaza population, and even less in West Bank. They had higher levels of support while Protective Edge was in play, but after the end of the conflict it seems they are even less popular than before it started. They see they have been subjected to a devastating war, and Hamas obtained no real concessions. They did it for nothing. The likely outcome of this conflict is that Hamas will be out of power within the year and the PA wil return to control of Gaza. In which case, Israel has played its cards well.

But Israel has always played its cards well. Israel plays the ancient Mid East politics game better than the Arabs ever have.
Original post by young_guns
I'm sure that's the narrative you tell yourself. Deep down, you hope that fighting terror causes more terror, whereas Hamas is actually less popular than ever before.

Prior to the most recent Gaza conflict, Hamas' popularity was down to about 1/3rd of the Gaza population, and even less in West Bank. They had higher levels of support while Protective Edge was in play, but after the end of the conflict it seems they are even less popular than before it started. They see they have been subjected to a devastating war, and Hamas obtained no real concessions. They did it for nothing. The likely outcome of this conflict is that Hamas will be out of power within the year and the PA wil return to control of Gaza. In which case, Israel has played its cards well.

But Israel has always played its cards well. Israel plays the ancient Mid East politics game better than the Arabs ever have.

Absolutely nowhere has it been reported that Hamas' support has dropped after the latest conflict, every news outlet has reported quite the opposite.

Israel always plays their cards well, they don't want to see an end to the hostilities. While hostilities are ongoing they can continue to quietly settle Palestinian land, safe in the knowledge that Palestine has no way of hurting them back and they know that besides a few quiet murmurs the international community will do absolutely nothing to stop them. Once a peace deal is in place, this changes.
Absolutely nowhere has it been reported that Hamas' support has dropped after the latest conflict, every news outlet has reported quite the opposite

I suppose if all you consume is RT, you probably would miss out on serious analysis and news.

Israel always plays their cards well, they don't want to see an end to the hostilities

Show me proof that "Israel... don't want to see an end to hostilities". Proof or gtfo

While hostilities are ongoing they can continue to quietly settle Palestinian land

Oh yea, they've anounced a couple of thousand of extra acres to be settled. Less than one-tenth of one percent of the West Bank (and almost certainly as a Pavlovian punishment for the recent rocket attacks). One-tenth of one percent sounds like a really serious settlement programme :wink:

Once a peace deal is in place, this changes

The Palestinians were offered a superb peace deal in 2008. The Olmert peace deal offered them Israeli withdrawal from 94% of the West Bank, with all settlers moving into the largest settlement blocs in the remaining 6%, while the Palestinians would be compensated with an equal amount of land from within the 1967 borders. The Palestinians would also get sovereignty over the Jerusalem holy sites, an underground highway linking Gaza and West Bank, and no Israeli military presence in the Jordan Valley.

Almost unbelievably, the Palestinians (so characteristically, they never miss an opportunity to miss an opportunity) under Abu Mazen didn't even deign to respond to the offer because they thought they could get a better deal under the next President. In fact, they were ****ing idiots not to have broken down Olmert's door in a rush to accept.

It's really shades of 1995, when the Hamas campaign of suicide bombings caused Rabin's successor Peres to lose the election and put Netanyahu in power, and basically scuttle any possibility of a serious peace deal. These Hamas *****, who have more than once destroyed the future of the Palestinians, are your heroes. Wow
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by young_guns
I suppose if all you consume is RT, you probably would miss out on serious analysis and news.

Why are you assuming all I consume is RT? Post your sources please.

Show me proof that "Israel... don't want to see an end to hostilities". Proof or gtfo

The proof is in Israeli policy towards Palestine.

Oh yea, they've anounced a couple of thousand of extra acres to be settled. Less than one-tenth of one percent of the West Bank (and almost certainly as a Pavlovian punishment for the recent rocket attacks). One-tenth of one percent sounds like a really serious settlement programme :wink:

Killing thousands of Palestinian civilians isn't punishment enough? Why are they trying to take any Palestinian land?

The Palestinians were offered a superb peace deal in 2008. The Olmert peace deal offered them Israeli withdrawal from 94% of the West Bank, with all settlers moving into the largest settlement blocs in the remaining 6%, while the Palestinians would be compensated with an equal amount of land from within the 1967 borders. The Palestinians would also get sovereignty over the Jerusalem holy sites, an underground highway linking Gaza and West Bank, and no Israeli military presence in the Jordan Valley.

Almost unbelievably, the Palestinians (so characteristically, they never miss an opportunity to miss an opportunity) under Abu Mazen didn't even deign to respond to the offer because they thought they could get a better deal under the next President. In fact, they were ****ing idiots not to have broken down Olmert's door in a rush to accept.

You may call it superb but Palestine once again saw its borders shrink, settlements remained so Palestine would still be divided and unconnected, Jerusalem remained under Israeli control, there was no right of return and so on.

It's really shades of 1995, when the Hamas campaign of suicide bombings caused Rabin's successor Peres to lose the election and put Netanyahu in power, and basically scuttle any possibility of a serious peace deal. These Hamas c-nts, who have more than once destroyed the future of the Palestinians, are your heroes. Wow

Hamas are my heroes? I have said absolutely nothing that even hints to Hamas being my heroes.
discuss
Original post by Benjobox
discuss

No, as it wouldn't work.
Reply 5714
Original post by tsr1269
No, as it wouldn't work.

So what do you think should be done lol?
There already is a 2 state solution.

jews have israel.

muslims have the west bank and gaza
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by samba
So what do you think should be done lol?

One state solution with a right of return to all Palestinian refugees as well as monetary compensation paid to those who do not wish to return.

We shall let democracy take it's course.
Original post by tsr1269
One state solution with a right of return to all Palestinian refugees as well as monetary compensation paid to those who do not wish to return.

We shall let democracy take it's course.

And the Jews get turfed out and left at the mercy of Hamas (who would presumably govern a state of Palestine?)
Original post by Benjobox
And the Jews get turfed out and left at the mercy of Hamas (who would presumably govern a state of Palestine?)

Should the Palestinians win the elections, then it seems inevitable that many Settlers would leave.

Given the fact that there are over 5 million refugees, I think we can reasonable conclude that the Palestinians will become the ruling power within just a few months of this new state having formed.
I was until I realised how little the Israeli government cares about human lives and that it will never work because of it. The only thing I can think of is a merging of both to form a new country but I can't see it hapenning any time soon so idk.

Latest

Trending

Trending