The Student Room Group

Torn between two very different courses

Okay so I'm supposed to be applying for university this year but I have no idea what I want to study.

I was pretty certain when I started my A-Levels that I wanted to study history at uni and go on to become a history teacher. That's still something I'm really interested in, but I did an internship this summer and spent some time in marketing, and now I'm feeling conflicted.

I've been looking at marketing degrees and they look just as interesting as (if not more interesting than) the history courses. Now I don't know if I want to go into teaching or into marketing, which are obviously two very different careers. I feel like studying history would leave both options open, whereas marketing is very specific ... but the marketing courses are so interesting that I almost don't want to let go of them.

Ultimately I'm going to have to make up my own mind, but do you guys have any advice?
Original post by AlannaHJP
Okay so I'm supposed to be applying for university this year but I have no idea what I want to study.

I was pretty certain when I started my A-Levels that I wanted to study history at uni and go on to become a history teacher. That's still something I'm really interested in, but I did an internship this summer and spent some time in marketing, and now I'm feeling conflicted.

I've been looking at marketing degrees and they look just as interesting as (if not more interesting than) the history courses. Now I don't know if I want to go into teaching or into marketing, which are obviously two very different careers. I feel like studying history would leave both options open, whereas marketing is very specific ... but the marketing courses are so interesting that I almost don't want to let go of them.

Ultimately I'm going to have to make up my own mind, but do you guys have any advice?

Hello Alanna !

I was in a very similar situation that you are in. I didn't know whether I wanted to study Dentistry or Computer science, in the end I chose Dentistry.

Depending on what level of teaching you plan on doing, you might not even need to study a history course at university to teach history. As far as I know, for teaching history at A-level and below, you only need a high grade in A-level in history, likewise with most other subjects !! My A-level English teacher was a history grad, and my A-level maths teacher was a physics grad !

Since recently you said you are growing a greater interest in marketing, I will advise you choose that course. I also suddenly grew an interest for Dentistry when I got my braces on during my GCSE's, and then did some work experience in many clinics.

In the end, if you're really keen, you can always go back to uni and study History as a post graduate, after all, money wont be an issue if you're successful in the marketing industry.

Hope this helps !
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending