The Student Room Group

Full A Level in one year in Media Studies

So basically, as the title says, I'm doing a full A Level in one year in Media Studies at sixth form. My situation is confusing, but I already have 2 A Levels already at good grades and so I wanted another full A Level so that it would widen my options for university. I didn't want to do an extra 2 years when I only need one more A Level so I'm doing this and this is the only subject I'm doing this year. I would LOVE to find other people who are in my situation!! Is anybody on here doing a full A Level in media in one year or have done it? I'd love to know! Thanks!

Scroll to see replies

That's a very random A-level to self-teach in a year. But yeah, doable. Not sure how you'd get coursework to a decent standard when the submission is early, though. Have you considered a subject without coursework?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by sophiejaz
So basically, as the title says, I'm doing a full A Level in one year in Media Studies at sixth form. My situation is confusing, but I already have 2 A Levels already at good grades and so I wanted another full A Level so that it would widen my options for university. I didn't want to do an extra 2 years when I only need one more A Level so I'm doing this and this is the only subject I'm doing this year. I would LOVE to find other people who are in my situation!! Is anybody on here doing a full A Level in media in one year or have done it? I'd love to know! Thanks!

Can I just ask which two A levels you've already done, and why you've chosen to do a Media Studies A level in particular?

I know it's not the same, but I'm doing a Chemistry A level in one year, because I feel it's a strong subject for university
Reply 3
Original post by Exceptional
That's a very random A-level to self-teach in a year. But yeah, doable. Not sure how you'd get coursework to a decent standard when the submission is early, though. Have you considered a subject without coursework?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm not teaching myself, I'm doing it at a sixth form. I know, I was thinking the same thing about the coursework which is the thing that I'm panicking about! But since you can do redrafts, hopefully I can get it up to a decent standard. One of my friends did Film studies A Level in one year and managed to get a B, so I'm staying hopeful as I've heard that in some ways these are similar. Have you done media studies?
I'm not teaching myself, I'm doing it at a sixth form. I know, I was thinking the same thing about the coursework which is the thing that I'm panicking about! But since you can do redrafts, hopefully I can get it up to a decent standard. One of my friends did Film studies A Level in one year and managed to get a B, so I'm staying hopeful as I've heard that in some ways these are similar. Have you done media studies?

So you'd be in AS and A2 lessons for Media? It's definitely possible to get a high grade, just put in the effort and you'll be fine.

Nope, no history of studying Media myself but what I'm saying is unanimous for all my A-levels and I've done 7.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by HAnwar
Can I just ask which two A levels you've already done, and why you've chosen to do a Media Studies A level in particular?

I know it's not the same, but I'm doing a Chemistry A level in one year, because I feel it's a strong subject for university

My two other A Levels are in English Literature and English Language. The reason I've chosen Media studies is because I'm into more creative subjects where you can offer your interpretation on things, much like English Literature. Are you doing Chemistry via distance learning? Yeah, since it's a science, it's well respected, especially if you're doing the whole thing in a year. Why have you decided to do a whole A Level in one year... Do you already have 2 A Levels like me? :smile:
I REALLY wouldnt recommend Media as a good subject to do in one year, purely based on the coursework. All of your deadlines are going to be at a similar time and they require a lot of effort. For me (for AS Level) I had

- an essay to write and coming up with a concept
- a photoshoot to do for an album cover
- constructing an album cover in photoshop, which I'm guessing took about 10 hours?
- story boarding a music video
- filming a music video - with multiple angles and video shoots
- editing a music video (I spent 3 HOURS editing less than 25 seconds worth of video)
- writing a summary of everything you did.

and I had a similar amount for A2, but in way more detail. Along with this you'll be learning all of the theories and content for the exams - plus watching/reading all of the texts (3 films, 3 TV shows and 3 magazines) that would come up in A2.

I'd strongly recommend trying to do a subject that is purely exam based as a 3rd A-Level.
Reply 7
So you'd be in AS and A2 lessons for Media? It's definitely possible to get a high grade, just put in the effort and you'll be fine.

Nope, no history of studying Media myself but what I'm saying is unanimous for all my A-levels and I've done 7.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, I've been put in AS and A2 classes. 7 A Levels?!? How have you managed to do that and in what subjects? Since this is the only subject I'm doing I'll be able to invest all of my time into it and hopefully get a decent grade.
Reply 8
Original post by Rosasaurr
I REALLY wouldnt recommend Media as a good subject to do in one year, purely based on the coursework. All of your deadlines are going to be at a similar time and they require a lot of effort. For me (for AS Level) I had

- an essay to write and coming up with a concept
- a photoshoot to do for an album cover
- constructing an album cover in photoshop, which I'm guessing took about 10 hours?
- story boarding a music video
- filming a music video - with multiple angles and video shoots
- editing a music video (I spent 3 HOURS editing less than 25 seconds worth of video)
- writing a summary of everything you did.

and I had a similar amount for A2, but in way more detail. Along with this you'll be learning all of the theories and content for the exams - plus watching/reading all of the texts (3 films, 3 TV shows and 3 magazines) that would come up in A2.

I'd strongly recommend trying to do a subject that is purely exam based as a 3rd A-Level.

Wow, that sounds hectic! See, this was what I was worried about. Hope you don't mind me asking, but what grade did you achieve? I just thought it would be a good subject because I've done English Literature A Level and done decently well and apparently Media Studies is a lot easier than English? Thanks for your advice
Yeah, I've been put in AS and A2 classes. 7 A Levels?!? How have you managed to do that and in what subjects? Since this is the only subject I'm doing I'll be able to invest all of my time into it and hopefully get a decent grade.

As it's your only A-level, you'll be more than set for a good grade with effort. At least you have the time to dedicate to it.

I took AS Economics, Geography, History, Biology, Chemistry, Health and Social Care and the EPQ. Doing A2 now in Eco, Geo and Hist. :smile:

Sounds more impressive when said like that. I took Bio and H&S early alongside GCSEs. Then went into Sixth Form with everyone else and did the other 4 and EPQ. More manageable that way.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I got a B overall but I should have got an A (I had some major problems with coursework and there was nothing that could be done :frown: all my work up until that point had been A grade)

it is a good subject, dont get me wrong, but I would worry that your coursework load would be too much - unless you were really smart about it it would be really hard to cope with that amount of work in one go :s-smilie: but if it's the only subject you're doing you can set aside way more time for it.

I didnt do Literature but I did do Language and my friends who did both found Language easier and I found Media easier than English so there could be truth in that. But I think part of the reason I found Media easier was because I LOVED it and I didnt mind working really hard, whereas English did tend to get dull occasionally.

and you're welcome ^.^
Reply 11
My two other A Levels are in English Literature and English Language. The reason I've chosen Media studies is because I'm into more creative subjects where you can offer your interpretation on things, much like English Literature. Are you doing Chemistry via distance learning? Yeah, since it's a science, it's well respected, especially if you're doing the whole thing in a year. Why have you decided to do a whole A Level in one year... Do you already have 2 A Levels like me? :smile:

That sounds good! Yes I've already got an English Literature and Sociology A level. And I did Health and Social Care Btec, so it'd be nice to have an extra A level. I've already been accepted into university though but I want to change my course, and that would require doing a Science A level, so I'm planning to do Chem in my gap year. There's a tuition place which is roughly 15 minutes away from where I live, and apparently it's a really good one which does one year A level courses. Where do you plan on doing your Media Studies? A lot of people do say there is a great deal of coursework involved in Media Studies, but if you're definitely sure that's what you want to do, then it's up to you :tongue:
Reply 12
Original post by HAnwar
That sounds good! Yes I've already got an English Literature and Sociology A level. And I did Health and Social Care Btec, so it'd be nice to have an extra A level. I've already been accepted into university though but I want to change my course, and that would require doing a Science A level, so I'm planning to do Chem in my gap year. There's a tuition place which is roughly 15 minutes away from where I live, and apparently it's a really good one which does one year A level courses. Where do you plan on doing your Media Studies? A lot of people do say there is a great deal of coursework involved in Media Studies, but if you're definitely sure that's what you want to do, then it's up to you :tongue:

Oh, great! :smile: What course do you want to do and what university have you chosen? I wish there was such a place near me which specifically did one year A Levels.... I'm guessing you live in the South? I'm doing it at a sixth form and they've put me into AS and A2 lessons :smile: Yeah, I've heard that which is why I'm scared haha. I guess I'll give it some thought over the weekend!
Reply 13
Original post by Rosasaurr
I got a B overall but I should have got an A (I had some major problems with coursework and there was nothing that could be done :frown: all my work up until that point had been A grade)

it is a good subject, dont get me wrong, but I would worry that your coursework load would be too much - unless you were really smart about it it would be really hard to cope with that amount of work in one go :s-smilie: but if it's the only subject you're doing you can set aside way more time for it.

I didnt do Literature but I did do Language and my friends who did both found Language easier and I found Media easier than English so there could be truth in that. But I think part of the reason I found Media easier was because I LOVED it and I didnt mind working really hard, whereas English did tend to get dull occasionally.

and you're welcome ^.^

Literature is a lot different to Language, I think, and more difficult, but I absolutely loved English Language! But I totally agree with the coursework bit, I think It will be a heavy load so I'm going to give it a think over the weekend. :smile:
Reply 14
As it's your only A-level, you'll be more than set for a good grade with effort. At least you have the time to dedicate to it.

I took AS Economics, Geography, History, Biology, Chemistry, Health and Social Care and the EPQ. Doing A2 now in Eco, Geo and Hist. :smile:

Sounds more impressive when said like that. I took Bio and H&S early alongside GCSEs. Then went into Sixth Form with everyone else and did the other 4 and EPQ. More manageable that way.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Wow, that sounds great. I bet your UCAS application will impress! What do you plan on studying and at which university? :smile: Yeah, I suppose other people who have taken Media have taken it alongside other subjects whereas I'll just be taking Media on its own. I think I'll have to give it some thought over the weekend, haha, thanks for the advice. :smile:
Wow, that sounds great. I bet your UCAS application will impress! What do you plan on studying and at which university? :smile: Yeah, I suppose other people who have taken Media have taken it alongside other subjects whereas I'll just be taking Media on its own. I think I'll have to give it some thought over the weekend, haha, thanks for the advice. :smile:

Don't worry about it, I'm sure you'll make the right choice.

Financial Economics, at Manchester, Leicester, Cass, Sheffield and Nottingham. :smile:

What about you?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 16
English Language and I'm going to be applying this year to Newcastle, York, Aberdeen and I'm not sure about the other two. I guess the worry is coming from the fact that this year could either make me or break me (sounds O.TT, but it's true) and I only have one chance, but hopefully everything works out! :biggrin:
Reply 17
good luck doing that in a year ha hahahah
Reply 18
Original post by amejv
good luck doing that in a year ha hahahah

Have you done Media Studies before?
Reply 19
Have you done Media Studies before?

i'm doing A2 now! Depending on what exam board you're on, it literally was so stressful doing my AS coursework and that was my only coursework subject but ended up with 92/100 overall

Latest