The Student Room Group

2015 Consulting graduate applications

Scroll to see replies

Original post by M1011
Regarding EY, at least it shows your application is strong. Got to take the positives - people seldom get their first interview.

Capgemini - you "guess"? Their MC side is strong (it's essentially EY which they bought it in 200X, scheme pays more than big4). Why wouldn't you go for it?

Accenture - most likely hire year round then, another ex audit firm consulting division, defo worth going for it for the hefty sign on alone!

MBB - I'm not MBB standard so I can't speak authoritatively, but I imagine you're probably right in saying it's a long shot. Then again, for the sake of spending a couple hours firing off an application to each (they all get very samey), why not roll the dice and have a go! Same situation with A.T/RB really.

Have you also considered the likes of Mott McDonald? Another good MC firm with a focus on engineering (so potentially looks favourably on you given your degree).

EY: Nah, I guess my application is strong. It was ME who was the reason behind the failed interview - utter under-confidence and, quite frankly, intimidated by the enormity of the opportunity!

Capgemini: Lol, the 'guess' is because I'm not sure if I can reapply yet after my application last December! I made the stupid mistake of 'testing the waters' with not-so-well-researched applications (which actually did get me an interview with EY again, which I had to decline), so I have to probably wait till Dec for the completion of 12 months with most companies. I do, however, like the idea of Mott McDonald - we've worked with them in my previous company, and they have a HUGE presence! Thanks for the suggestion! Now that I think of it, I can add Atkins, Peter Brett and the likes to the list - more technical consulting types.

I shall give Accenture a shot too in that case, and push out an application to OC&C too. As they say - send out 100 applications, get responses from 5, get a job in 1! Being an international student doesn't help either :/
Reply 101
Original post by ramadi88
EY: Nah, I guess my application is strong. It was ME who was the reason behind the failed interview - utter under-confidence and, quite frankly, intimidated by the enormity of the opportunity!

Capgemini: Lol, the 'guess' is because I'm not sure if I can reapply yet after my application last December! I made the stupid mistake of 'testing the waters' with not-so-well-researched applications (which actually did get me an interview with EY again, which I had to decline), so I have to probably wait till Dec for the completion of 12 months with most companies. I do, however, like the idea of Mott McDonald - we've worked with them in my previous company, and they have a HUGE presence! Thanks for the suggestion! Now that I think of it, I can add Atkins, Peter Brett and the likes to the list - more technical consulting types.

I shall give Accenture a shot too in that case, and push out an application to OC&C too. As they say - send out 100 applications, get responses from 5, get a job in 1! Being an international student doesn't help either :/

That's the spirit, doesn't matter if you land the first one or the last one, so long as you land one of the buggers!
Any advice you guys would give to someone who is about to go into their first year at university at UCL and is interested in Consulting.
Reply 103
Original post by Daniel__
Any advice you guys would give to someone who is about to go into their first year at university at UCL and is interested in Consulting.

Look at first year internship opportunities such as KPMG. Applications are already open.

Enjoy first year. Think about this business next summer.
OK, so I have another big question - what exactly are the backup options someone seeking a job in consultancy has, if he/she does not get placed in the top firms (Big4, RB, LEK, OCC)?

Think about how you want your CV to look like at the start of year 3, then work backwards.

Read through the past threads and start planning how you're going to get the following three things:

1. Solid leadership experience
2. Impact through dedicated involvement in an activity/community
3. Internship with a top company

Other skills like analysis and teamwork are easier to come by.
Hey all, does anyone know which of the three tests (numerical, verbal and logical/inductive) are used for the graduate management consulting scheme for PwC? I think it's 2 of those but I'm not sure which 2. Or maybe it's all 3?
Original post by Throwaway2521
Hey all, does anyone know which of the three tests (numerical, verbal and logical/inductive) are used for the graduate management consulting scheme for PwC? I think it's 2 of those but I'm not sure which 2. Or maybe it's all 3?

It's numerical and logical. Then they also have two SJTs. Or so was the case a couple years back.
Nope. I got an email saying I'd passed the screening stage and someone would be in contact 'very shortly' (this was exactly a week ago) about the next stage but I haven't received anything yet.
have you heard anything yet?
Also has anyone heard back from ibm following passing the ipat test?
Original post by Ksimmonds
have you heard anything yet?

Yeah I got an email earlier this week saying 'As you will now be aware we have changed the select and assess process for the 2015 intake and we are still working hard on training all the business interviewers on the new interview process. As such, you may see a delay in us being able to book in your interview but we hope to be able to do this soon.

We will be in touch by the end of the week*to invite you to the questionnaire stage.'
Yeah I got an email earlier this week saying 'As you will now be aware we have changed the select and assess process for the 2015 intake and we are still working hard on training all the business interviewers on the new interview process. As such, you may see a delay in us being able to book in your interview but we hope to be able to do this soon.

We will be in touch by the end of the week*to invite you to the questionnaire stage.'

Snap! Good luck - we might end up being at the same interview day - don't know if you saw but there is a group exercise part of the first interview for consulting
Hi! Is anyone else in the position where they've passed the psychometric tests and now haven't heard anything about the next round? I'm in the same boat for deloitte and ey...
I can tell you with regards to Deloitte, as someone else mentioned, they're changing their recruitment process and stuff. I was on the summer internship and they still haven't got back to us for the final interviews for the grad role

Posted from TSR Mobile
I think it depends I've already had a grad interview.

(I am in a different department though!)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 116
Original post by Tasha-x
Hi! Is anyone else in the position where they've passed the psychometric tests and now haven't heard anything about the next round? I'm in the same boat for deloitte and ey...

Did they tell you whether you passed the tests or not, and that your application will now be screened? That was the last email I received and haven't heard anything back from Deloitte since!
Original post by ekta9
Did they tell you whether you passed the tests or not, and that your application will now be screened? That was the last email I received and haven't heard anything back from Deloitte since!

Yeah, the last email I had was at the beginning of last week to say I'd passed the tests and screening.... That was the day after I took the numerical and critical thinking tests. I just want to know what's next !!
Original post by Ksimmonds
Snap! Good luck - we might end up being at the same interview day - don't know if you saw but there is a group exercise part of the first interview for consulting

Thanks! You too :smile: Yeah, I saw that there was a group activity but I'm not sure of what the actual activity will be. Have you received the service line questionnaire yet or booked a day for the first interview?
Reply 119
hey guys just wanted to drop this link by you http://canarywharfian.co.uk/threads/get-a-15-discount-on-jobtestprep-until-october.96/ might find useful

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending