The Student Room Group
University of Birmingham
University of Birmingham
Birmingham

Drama and Theatre Arts, University of Birmingham

I've just got conformation that I'm going to Birmingham University, studying Drama and Theatre Arts.
I was wondering which digs anyone else on the course was staying in. I'm at the Vale rather than at Selly Oak, hopefully not alone :smile:
Plus we could start to chat about the course.
I'm hopefully going to study English Lit and Drama at Birmingham, but still unsure as haven't received my results yet. I've also applied for accommodation, but not heard anything back yet...? But well done for getting in!
University of Birmingham
University of Birmingham
Birmingham
Reply 2
Got my results back today so I can confirm I'm doing Drama and Theatre Arts and so is my friend who has an unconditional and is staying at Jarratt Hall. Haven't had my accomodation info - it could take upto 14 days from results day to get through to you. Apparently it's a bumper year, so there's a bunch more students than usual for the course. #1 in the country can I get a hell yeah?!
Reply 3
Does anyone know if there's a summer reading list?
Reply 4
HELL YEAH!! :biggrin: I'm starting DTA too this September! REALLY excited to start doing theatre again, and as a full course, too. I'm an international student (from Singapore) so I've got loads of stuff to do before I go over, but I got my accommodation confirmation early cause I did IB, and I've been given (and confirmed) Jarratt Hall :smile:

Oh and there's a list of recommended reading, and a couple of drama anthologies that are compulsory. Here: http://www.birmingham.ac.uk/Documents/college-artslaw/drama/drama-and-theatre-arts-first-year-recommended-reading-list.pdf

I REALLY don't want to pay £50 each for the anthologies and stuff though... Anyone know any good 2nd hand book sources? I heard that a lot of the books are available on the school intranet system or something so I'm hesitant to get the books that aren't compulsory. :P
Reply 5
Is anyone studying appiled theatre
Reply 6
Original post by ajafong
HELL YEAH!! :biggrin: I'm starting DTA too this September! REALLY excited to start doing theatre again, and as a full course, too. I'm an international student (from Singapore) so I've got loads of stuff to do before I go over, but I got my accommodation confirmation early cause I did IB, and I've been given (and confirmed) Jarratt Hall :smile:

Oh and there's a list of recommended reading, and a couple of drama anthologies that are compulsory. Here: http://www.birmingham.ac.uk/Documents/college-artslaw/drama/drama-and-theatre-arts-first-year-recommended-reading-list.pdf

I REALLY don't want to pay £50 each for the anthologies and stuff though... Anyone know any good 2nd hand book sources? I heard that a lot of the books are available on the school intranet system or something so I'm hesitant to get the books that aren't compulsory. :P

Heyyyy I'm super excited too! As for which books to buy, I'm going to buy the compulsory books before I arrive and maybe 1 or 2 that I think look relevant/interesting to me (the playwriting book for example!) and I'm going to be buying most of my books from amazon because they have the "used" option which is usually a lot cheaper and I don't mind having a second hand book - one of the anthologies is £44 but a used copy is something like £16 so can't really complain about that! If there are any other books I need when I get there that weren't compulsory I'll probably just check the school systems and library etc and if there's nothing there, grab it off amazon.

Woahhhh Singapore that's a long way to go! What made you choose Birmingham? My friend is staying at Jarratt Hall doing DTA, she's really excited too!

Eeepppp I just want September to hurry up!!
Reply 7
Original post by Hahs
Heyyyy I'm super excited too! As for which books to buy, I'm going to buy the compulsory books before I arrive and maybe 1 or 2 that I think look relevant/interesting to me (the playwriting book for example!) and I'm going to be buying most of my books from amazon because they have the "used" option which is usually a lot cheaper and I don't mind having a second hand book - one of the anthologies is £44 but a used copy is something like £16 so can't really complain about that! If there are any other books I need when I get there that weren't compulsory I'll probably just check the school systems and library etc and if there's nothing there, grab it off amazon.

Woahhhh Singapore that's a long way to go! What made you choose Birmingham? My friend is staying at Jarratt Hall doing DTA, she's really excited too!

Eeepppp I just want September to hurry up!!

Yeah I was thinking the exact same thing!! :biggrin: I'm planning on maybe doing that when I reach the UK though cause there's no point shipping it over to Singapore when Amazon UK has free shipping locally over £10? (If I'm not wrong that is!)

But yeah I'm gonna go scour local secondhand bookstores over here and see what I can find - though I honestly don't have high hopes :P

I actually had my hands on one of the books before too! It was 'Directing Postmodern Theatre', which I found pretty interesting... but unfortunately it was a library book so I'll have to go look for another copy :')

Haha I ended up choosing Birmingham because the course seemed really interesting and diverse compared to other Theatre uni/BA courses, especially those at conservatoires! It seemed to have a really good ratio of theory/practical and a wide range of options in 2nd/3rd year. :smile:

I've done IB theatre and loved the way it was taught, and was considering applying to musical theatre/theatre schools in the US and UK because I'm not personally a fan of the Singaporean arts community at its current state (also there aren't many schools teaching theatre to begin with here)
... I don't even know how but Birmingham gave me a conditional offer and I rethought my decision to go the conservatoire route and considered really giving myself time to think about what kind of theatre I wanted to pursue.

So long story short, I changed my mind halfway through application and sent my monologue/analysis stuff in to Birmingham and got accepted! :biggrin: So I'm really happy now and excited to start!! woo~!
Reply 8
Hey Guys,

I'm a member at the Royal Shakespeare Company, and right now they're doing a deal on for students at the University of Birmingham.
http://www.rsc.org.uk/support-us/key/students.aspx
I'm thinking of going but, obviously, don't know anyone else at uni yet who would want to come. Figured my fellow theatre lovers are the best bet.
Anyone want to join me <3
(Also 26 days anyone)
Reply 9
Original post by m.billingham
Hey Guys,

I'm a member at the Royal Shakespeare Company, and right now they're doing a deal on for students at the University of Birmingham.
http://www.rsc.org.uk/support-us/key/students.aspx
I'm thinking of going but, obviously, don't know anyone else at uni yet who would want to come. Figured my fellow theatre lovers are the best bet.
Anyone want to join me <3
(Also 26 days anyone)

Hey that sounds awesome - how did you hear about it? I'd honestly love to go to any of those, although the first one is so close to the beginning of term that I probably would miss that and go to the two Shakespeare's (which is probably hella useful for the course). I'd want to check out whatever my schedules would be before booking tickets incase there's something I wouldn't be able to miss, but I know I'd definitely be up for going to that, and probably a lot of other students too. It sounds like a great deal! I bet the people running our course will bring this up to us at some point, I know that the DATA department has close links with the RSC (or just Stratford-Upon-Avon, not entirely sure) so maybe they'll arrange a big group to go. I'm definitely interested in this though and going to be keeping an ear out!

Also, what halls are you staying in? I'm so excited already, I just want to skip the next two weeks and start everything!
Hey hey hey!
I too have been confirmed on that course, but because I don't have facebook, I'm finding it tricky to find other people! So I'm glad I've seen this post!
I too am on The Vale, in Tennis Courts. Would be lovely to chat more about course and stuff!
Original post by Hahs
Hey that sounds awesome - how did you hear about it? I'd honestly love to go to any of those, although the first one is so close to the beginning of term that I probably would miss that and go to the two Shakespeare's (which is probably hella useful for the course). I'd want to check out whatever my schedules would be before booking tickets incase there's something I wouldn't be able to miss, but I know I'd definitely be up for going to that, and probably a lot of other students too. It sounds like a great deal! I bet the people running our course will bring this up to us at some point, I know that the DATA department has close links with the RSC (or just Stratford-Upon-Avon, not entirely sure) so maybe they'll arrange a big group to go. I'm definitely interested in this though and going to be keeping an ear out!

Also, what halls are you staying in? I'm so excited already, I just want to skip the next two weeks and start everything!

Yes, definitely.
Or if not we can just organise a trip once we've all got there.
That's what I was thinking, it could be brilliant for the course, plus I'm obsessed with Shakespeare.

Anyone else going to the welcome talk thing? I just got my ticket.
Hey folks, check out Trusting Atoms in Welcome week. It's a short play so you can go to a performance and then still have time for other evening activities, or there's a matinee, Weds 24th 2.30pm. Other performances 7pm Weds, Fri and Sat, Cadbury room of Chaplaincy next to the Guild!

It's professional actors but student writing ! and only £5 for students #trustingatoms or trustingatoms [at] gmail.com for more info. :smile:
Reply 13
Original post by ajafong

Hi i was just wondering what you did at the applicant day?
Reply 14
Original post by m.billingham
I've just got conformation that I'm going to Birmingham University, studying Drama and Theatre Arts.
I was wondering which digs anyone else on the course was staying in. I'm at the Vale rather than at Selly Oak, hopefully not alone :smile:
Plus we could start to chat about the course.

Hi, my audition workshop is this Wednesday and I was just wondering what you actually do throughout the day you're there

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending