The Student Room Group

The Liverpool FC Thread XII

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1780
Original post by manchesterunited15
Not even that. We underspend for how big we are, this year is just making up for previous years' frugality.

Money spent over the last 5 years, not including this summer.

Here is the latest version, up to date:

Original post by cBay
Here is the latest version, up to date:

Indeed, still underspending
Reply 1782

im not convinced, only £1mil and £2mil less per season than the 2 sugar daddy's..

Original post by cBay
im not convinced, only £1mil and £2mil less per season than the 2 sugar daddy's..

more than double liverpool/arsenal and around the same as city/chelsea per season yet still "underspending".
if you think about it, it's pretty amazing how liverpool/arsenal are even competing with clubs that have the ability to consistently spend double what they can spend...
Original post by cBay

I was replying to the "We spend in proportion to the size of club we are" comment. We're the biggest club but spend the third most so underspending.

Original post by Lúcio
more than double liverpool/arsenal and around the same as city/chelsea per season yet still "underspending".
if you think about it, it's pretty amazing how liverpool/arsenal are even competing with clubs that have the ability to consistently spend double what they can spend...

And then there's Everton who spend about a fourtieth of what you do yet still compete :eek: pretty amazing...

Why are you acting like the bolded disproves anything? More than double Liverpool/Arsenal, and we've won more than double, about the same as Chelsea/City, and we've won about the same.
(edited 9 years ago)
I was replying to the "We spend in proportion to the size of club we are" comment. We're the biggest club but spend the third most so underspending.

And then there's Everton who spend about a fourtieth of what you do yet still compete :eek: pretty amazing...

True, however it certainly isn't a straight line growth in a relationship between money and success

As you get towards the top (I.e: top 4 and above), you need to spend much, much more money not just to maintain your place but also to get closer to the top of the league.

With that being said, arsenal in general and Liverpool in particular last season have done amazingly well to get where they are
Original post by Lúcio
True, however it certainly isn't a straight line growth in a relationship between money and success

As you get towards the top (I.e: top 4 and above), you need to spend much, much more money not just to maintain your place but also to get closer to the top of the league.

With that being said, arsenal in general and Liverpool in particular last season have done amazingly well to get where they are

pls see edit

Exactly, which is also true when you do from Arsenal/Liverpool to United/Chelsea/City. Obviously we're not up with those two at the moment, but our summer this year has pulled our spending average up massively and we haven't had the chance to show the results of that yet.
What is it with Sturridge always getting injured on international duty?
Original post by Zerforax
What is it with Sturridge always getting injured on international duty?

Archaic training methods of a dinosaur manager, most likely. Moyes and RVP was the same story last year.

I really don't understand why the 'top' players have to play in these pointless friendlies, surely it's just an excuse to try out new formations and get players up to match fitness? Why did someone like Sturridge, an automatic first choice, play the full 90 minutes when someone else could have been given a go? You see several of these every time, e.g Belgium risked Kompany despite picking up a calf injury in training. Under Sir Alex, our players always picked up random 'injuries' to rule them out of friendlies. More clubs should do that.

If it's only 3 weeks, as i've seen reported, then you should be fine. 1 of those weeks you're not even playing. Sterling, Coutinho, Markovic & Balotelli should be more than enough to beat Villa, West Ham and that m1nn0w team in the CL who's name I won't even attempt to spell.
Original post by sr90
Archaic training methods of a dinosaur manager, most likely. Moyes and RVP was the same story last year.

I really don't understand why the 'top' players have to play in these pointless friendlies, surely it's just an excuse to try out new formations and get players up to match fitness? Why did someone like Sturridge, an automatic first choice, play the full 90 minutes when someone else could have been given a go? You see several of these every time, e.g Belgium risked Kompany despite picking up a calf injury in training. Under Sir Alex, our players always picked up random 'injuries' to rule them out of friendlies. More clubs should do that.

If it's only 3 weeks, as i've seen reported, then you should be fine. 1 of those weeks you're not even playing. Sterling, Coutinho, Markovic & Balotelli should be more than enough to beat Villa, West Ham and that m1nn0w team in the CL who's name I won't even attempt to spell.

i agree - rodgers should've been a bit more forceful and ask if sturridge could only play 45 minutes
although injuries happen so we just gotta get on with it

as you say, our fixture list while he's gone is not difficult at all so if we can't win those games, it certainly won't be because one player is out injured.

Here's a nice hat for you Luke
Original post by AR_95

Here's a nice hat for you Luke

i dunno man, not too sure on that bow...
Original post by Lúcio
i dunno man, not too sure on that bow...

I think the straws would fit you fine
Original post by AR_95
I think the straws would fit you fine

this is pretty much nonsense post now though.
you really should've posted this in the misc thread tbh; has no place on the liverpool thread which is supposed to be discussing football.
Original post by sr90

Sturridge got injured in training the day after the match, in a sprint training session. Sprint training, the day after a match, having played 180 minutes in 4 days.

Hodgson is an utter ****.

Daniel needs to take a good, long look at his injury situation and how he's going to stop it happening in the future.
Original post by sr90

Yea and people wonder why Liverpool fans despise Hodgson - now and for his time at Liverpool.

I guess you want the players to build familiarity over time with the system and each other. Hodgson obviously cares more about his reputation than the players so another win means a better argument for him to keep his job for longer.

Yea but few have the power that SAF had. Mourinho doesn't have that problem because he only buys very fit players in their peak (late 20s).

We should have enough in the tank like you say but still frustrating.
Is there anything official announced about the length of the Sturridge injury, reports have been anywhere between 3 weeks and 4 months.
Original post by Alex Doran
Is there anything official announced about the length of the Sturridge injury, reports have been anywhere between 3 weeks and 4 months.

i've not heard anything official, but it seems it's more likely to be a matter of weeks, not months :smile:
Reply 1798
dw guys, we got Lambert
Original post by cBay
dw guys, we got Lambert

Lambgoat*

Quick Reply

Latest