The Student Room Group

How much student loan are you getting?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 520
anyone else feel that the way student finance is assessed is completely unfair?! my maintenance loan is almost under half my accommodation costs!!!
Original post by hilln
anyone else feel that the way student finance is assessed is completely unfair?! my maintenance loan is almost under half my accommodation costs!!!

How do they actually figure out what maintenance loan to give? I keep noticing that mine is huge compared to some o_O
Original post by AlphaDog0127
How do they actually figure out what maintenance loan to give? I keep noticing that mine is huge compared to some o_O

It depends on your household income,
Reply 523
Im getting £3000 and something, based on my household income, but my mother is widowed with 5 kids in private schools. and I have to have a 51 week contract due to my family living abroad meaning my accommodation is over £6000
Original post by KiwiMonkey96
It depends on your household income,

I though the grant depended on household income but the loan didn't.
Original post by Deformed_Pigeon
I though the grant depended on household income but the loan didn't.

It does because the more grant you get, the less loan you get, there is a standard amount of loan that everyone gets if they don't have it assessed on their income,
This year I'm getting about £150 less than the maximum amount of student finance... Last year, I received the full amount :frown: My parents are trying to prove that they haven't actually earned as much as SFE think they've earned this year but SFE aren't having it... Now I think this move has cost me any chance of getting bursaries.

Can someone suggest what I could do to prove that my household income hasn't changed 'drastically' as SFE say? I'm getting really stressed out :frown:

(It also doesn't help that my parents work for agencies... So they don't earn a set income every year!)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Loan + Bursaries: 5,800
Accommodation: 5,800

Sucks for me

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 528
Maintenance Loan: £4280
Maintenance Grant: £3380
Bursaries: £0
Scholarships: £0
Savings: £0
Money from Parents: Absolutely nothing!

Accommodation Cost: £100 /w
Weekly spend after Accommodation: About £100ish

I did quite well I think :smile:
Original post by wizzer
Maintenance Loan: £4280
Maintenance Grant: £3380
Money from Parents: Absolutely nothing!

Accommodation Cost: £100 /w
Weekly spend after Accommodation: About £100ish

I did quite well I think :smile:

Are you studying in London?
Maintenance Loan/ Grant: £3200

Part time job: £800 monthly

Money from Parents: They were kind enough to pay for my accommodation which cost almost as much as my tuition fee for 42weeks

Accommodation Cost: £199 weekly
Reply 531
Original post by Lucilou101
Are you studying in London?

No up north, why? :smile:
Original post by wizzer
No up north, why? :smile:

I didn't think you could get a higher maintenance loan than £3862, unless you were studying in London.
I must be wrong though :L
I will only be getting a reduced student loan of about £2300 but I will be getting an NHS bursary and my tuition fees are paid. Will be easier to budget cos NHS bursary paid monthly over 12 months. Makes initial "start up" costs like accommodation more tricky but I have savings and my mum is helping.

Unfortunately NHS funding means not entitled to any bursaries from the Uni, like for getting high grades or low income family etc but you can't have everything!
Reply 534
I didn't think you could get a higher maintenance loan than £3862, unless you were studying in London.
I must be wrong though :L

I think it depends on parent income. It says on my sheet I've got a £3610 loan not based on income, plus the extra based on income. :smile:
Original post by wizzer
I think it depends on parent income. It says on my sheet I've got a £3610 loan not based on income, plus the extra based on income. :smile:

Well my parents have 0 income aha :L

Which is why I thought I had the highest! :smile:

I've got the £3610 not based on income, then £1945 extra based on income.
But then £1693 of it is replaced by grant?
(edited 9 years ago)
Well my parents have 0 income aha :L

Which is why I thought I had the highest! :smile:

Same! I thought the same thing, guess not :frown:
i will be gtting jus over 2 grand but coz im staying at home, i wont be gtting money for accommodation
Reply 538
Original post by AlphaDog0127
I applied in May and only heard back this week lol if you still haven't heard back, call them.

I called them so many times you wont believe me, my sky bill was 66 pounds this month haha
They keep asking for more and more evidence... I sent house contracts, bills, child tax credits and school certificates....
Finally heard back about my 2nd year finance! :smile:
Loan + grant = £7669
And will hopefully get a £1000 bursary from uni (did last year, so should get it this year)

Rent = £3240
Weekly budget (not including bursary) = £85
That will reduce due to the fact that I always overspend on Christmas presents and it's my boyfriend's and brother's birthday in freshers week. Too many presents to buy.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest