The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Lúcio
firstly that video was jokes.

secondly, i've seen some of the latest FIFA 15 ratings.
obviously it's only a game but Ozil rated 86?
lol.

maybe i'm just bitter than no liverpool players are in the top 50...

Why does it matter?

As someone who loves football, i've never understood the FIFA obsession.
Original post by sr90
Why does it matter?

I guess it is part of the clamour to have an element of realism into the games. I usually come across this in. a certain shooter I used to play frequently. It goes something like this:

Snipers should not be viable in CQC (assuming half a second to fully ADS, and slow rate of fire is 'viable') while not raising an eyebrow at how much more practical ARs are at distances outside of their optimal ranges are.

Shotguns should not be able to kill beyond arm's length whilst having no issue of SMGs killing across the map with mobility stats exactly the same shots but with infinite range, unlike shotguns. Then some players bring up the first point with snipers and seemingly ignore how much range shotguns can have in real life...

I even caught a Youtube Hero at it who did the sniper thing saying it would be more acceptable in a game where there are jetpacks because of the lesser amount of realism. Apparently, using a jet pack to negate gravitational force is more unrealistic than having a feature that grants immunity to fall damage completely. And this was coming from someone who studied Engineering at university level. :rolleyes:
Original post by Kenan and Kel
What about Sua... oh.

that was pretty good,
but pls, hurts :frown:

Original post by manchesterunited15
The top 20 haven't been announced yet, there's still time

not srs

lel, sturridge 88
gonna happen...
Original post by sr90
Why does it matter?

meh, i'm just a bit sad tbh
i suppose since i'll be playing this game for a year, it's annoying to see my team do so well and still not be recognised for it if that makes sense?

although it isn't really FIFA's fault; we literally don't have the player quality - it is our chemistry and tactics that make us play so well
Reply 8243
This isn't the FIFA or Cod thread ffs
Original post by NDGAARONDI
I guess it is part of the clamour to have an element of realism into the games. I usually come across this in. a certain shooter I used to play frequently. It goes something like this:

Snipers should not be viable in CQC (assuming half a second to fully ADS, and slow rate of fire is 'viable') while not raising an eyebrow at how much more practical ARs are at distances outside of their optimal ranges are.

Shotguns should not be able to kill beyond arm's length whilst having no issue of SMGs killing across the map with mobility stats exactly the same shots but with infinite range, unlike shotguns. Then some players bring up the first point with snipers and seemingly ignore how much range shotguns can have in real life...

I even caught a Youtube Hero at it who did the sniper thing saying it would be more acceptable in a game where there are jetpacks because of the lesser amount of realism. Apparently, using a jet pack to negate gravitational force is more unrealistic than having a feature that grants immunity to fall damage completely. And this was coming from someone who studied Engineering at university level. :rolleyes:

I'll be honest, I understood about 3 words of that :lol: Never been much of a gamer.
Original post by AR_95
This isn't the FIFA or Cod thread ffs

The Arsenal thread resembles the portion of COD players I was referencing most out of the football section anyway. :biggrin:
I'd like this but we all know how stubborn Arsene is he won't do it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Kruz

Posted from TSR Mobile

The problem with a Wilshere/Ramsey combo is that they're both essentially trying to occupy the same spaces and make the same runs. Ramsey is more off the ball, and Wilshere is more the dribbler, but the synergies at present aren't obvious. Ramsey can actually play a defensive, disciplined roll effectively, but then of course we're losing out on having one of the best B2B mid-fielders in Europe so that's not appealing.

Generally with 2 CMs like this, you want to be able to dictate the game in a controlled way to avoid getting over-run. But Wilshere is not really a player who offers much protection with possession. He can play the lovely, quick fire 1-2s and such but he cant really just pick the ball up and play it side to side, he wants to get his head up and move forward. Wilshere is not exactly the most thoughtful player in the world, he just wants to ''go!'' at any time. This can be disastrous with no true CM covering him. So I feel JW would need to learn when to turn his back and play it safe for this to work for us,.

I'll probably go Ramsey(with Wilshere rotated with him) + Flamini as things stand. At least Flamini offers a good deal of positional coverage and will allow the other to bomb forward. But who are we kidding? Arteta will simply start over one and all when fit.

Obviously need to see how Welbeck does, but I suspect Giroud will still be the main striker when everyone is fit. Very little in it probably.

Also Gibbs+Sanchez strikes me as not offering enough service. Sanchez is absolutely top class with his defensive contribution and work rate and Gibbs simply isnt a convincing attacking full back. Against small teams we just want to break down then I like Monreal at LB if Sanchez is LW or Gibbs + Cazorla/Poldi/AOC. Debuchy/Sanchez is probably a good combo so maybe those two would be a better combo.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Zürich
The problem with a Wilshere/Ramsey combo is that they're both essentially trying to occupy the same spaces and make the same runs. Ramsey is more off the ball, and Wilshere is more the dribbler, but the synergies at present aren't obvious. Ramsey can actually play a defensive, disciplined roll effectively, but then of course we're losing out on having one of the best B2B mid-fielders in Europe so that's not appealing.

Generally with 2 CMs like this, you want to be able to dictate the game in a controlled way to avoid getting over-run. But Wilshere is not really a player who offers much protection with possession. He can play the lovely, quick fire 1-2s and such but he cant really just pick the ball up and play it side to side, he wants to get his head up and move forward. Wilshere is not exactly the most thoughtful player in the world, he just wants to ''go!'' at any time. This can be disastrous with no true CM covering him. So I feel JW would need to learn when to turn his back and play it safe for this to work for us,.

I'll probably go Ramsey(with Wilshere rotated with him) + Flamini as things stand. At least Flamini offers a good deal of positional coverage and will allow the other to bomb forward. But who are we kidding? Arteta will simply start over one and all when fit.

Obviously need to see how Welbeck does, but I suspect Giroud will still be the main striker when everyone is fit. Very little in it probably.

Also Gibbs+Sanchez strikes me as not offering enough service. Sanchez is absolutely top class with his defensive contribution and work rate and Gibbs simply isnt a convincing attacking full back. Against small teams we just want to break down then I like Monreal at LB if Sanchez is LW or Gibbs + Cazorla/Poldi/AOC. Debuchy/Sanchez is probably a good combo so maybe those two would be a better combo.

I hope not lol, I'd like Welb to hit the ground running but I know he'll take his time. Welbeck has a good amount of time to show Arsene what he can do before Giroud comes back. I suspect if Welbeck starts hitting form early and maintains it I don't think Giroud will touch the pitch for a while imo. Also it's a waking up call for Sanogo, no more prancing about he needs to start getting on the scoresheet now.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Kruz
I hope not lol, I'd like Welb to hit the ground running but I know he'll take his time. Welbeck has a good amount of time to show Arsene what he can do before Giroud comes back. I suspect if Welbeck starts hitting form early and maintains it I don't think Giroud will touch the pitch for a while imo. Also it's a waking up call for Sanogo, no more prancing about he needs to start getting on the scoresheet now.

It's hard to tell, I dont expect Welbeck to explode for us but gradually improve. I think it would take Welbeck a while to produce the kind of performance Giroud is capable of, like he was doing for us for half of last season. Saying that, Giroud hasnt looked capable of reaching that level recently either! :laugh:

Hope the fans give Welbeck some understanding and patience and dont get annoyed with him because he's not the WC striker we all hoped for. He's still quite raw after all. But not Sanogo raw, which is a euphemism for horrific essentially.

Welbeck's target ought to be 15 goals for the season.

Sanogo's target ought to be to score a penalty in the Capital 1 or something :colondollar:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 8250
Original post by NDGAARONDI
The Arsenal thread resembles the portion of COD players I was referencing most out of the football section anyway. :biggrin:

I doubt that

Original post by Kruz

Posted from TSR Mobile

I've been using that formation on FIFA but with Arteta on for Wilshere

Original post by Zürich

Hope the fans give Welbeck some understanding and patience and dont get annoyed with him because he's not the WC striker we all hoped for. He's still quite raw after all. But not Sanogo raw, which is a euphemism for horrific essentially.

I think fans were just underwhelmed after expecting a world class signing on deadline day, however the general consensus afterwards is that fans are happy we signed Welbeck. Young, English, some what proven in the PL but with loads of potential, also probably helped that he openly chose us over Spurs, I can see the fans warming to Welbeck very quickly
Original post by AR_95
I doubt that

I've been using that formation on FIFA but with Arteta on for Wilshere

I think fans were just underwhelmed after expecting a world class signing on deadline day, however the general consensus afterwards is that fans are happy we signed Welbeck. Young, English, some what proven in the PL but with loads of potential, also probably helped that he openly chose us over Spurs, I can see the fans warming to Welbeck very quickly

99.9% of players would pick Arsenal over Spurs, all else equal in terms of playing time etc. This is not much to be proud of really.
Reply 8252
Original post by Zürich
99.9% of players would pick Arsenal over Spurs, all else equal in terms of playing time etc. This is not much to be proud of really.

I know but that wasn't the point I was making lol
Sanogo really is awful. Not that young either, he is 21. I am optimistic about Welbeck's potential however. Think there is something there.
tfw you still think sanogo can make it. #alone
It is Sir no goal.

Explain this photo (5 marks)
The guy in the red shirt is Debuchy's mate, and he's gone over his house for dinner and a sleepover.

easy
Original post by e aí rapaz
The guy in the red shirt is Debuchy's mate, and he's gone over his house for dinner and a sleepover.

easy

3/5 marks
Just looks like a typical day in France.

Latest