The Student Room Group

The Somali Society Mk III

Scroll to see replies

Original post by beautifulxxx
Oh thats sickkk. I'm moving to saudi soon insha'Allah do they like it over there? I only seem to hear negative comments so I get scared lol.

Ayee:wink:

I'm 16 lol just finished me GCSEs. U?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh will you be going college over there? They seem to like it and prefer there to here so it can't be bad haha

I'm 19 :smile:
Original post by Secretnerd123
Oh will you be going college over there? They seem to like it and prefer there to here so it can't be bad haha

I'm 19 :smile:

I'd like to yes:biggrin:

Awesomee, so u in uni then?
Original post by pbunny
Living in Saudi isn't that bad, don't worry. But it does depend on the city your moving to (where are you moving to?). Places like Riyadh suck since it's so conservative/strict. Jeddah/Dammam and all are more open and are better to live in.

We're moving to riyadh:bawling: I'm so going to blame my dad for this. I really want to move to jeddah there's this wicked uni there but he works in riyadhhh:mad:
Original post by DarkMystryXxX
lol enjoy hun, inn shaa allah Ima studying Health Studies and after that midwifery. lol :biggrin: How about you?

English with Lingustics, one of the things i want to do is a learn at least 3 languages, really hope that works out wallhi.
Original post by AnimeCrazy
English with Lingustics, one of the things i want to do is a learn at least 3 languages, really hope that works out wallhi.

Inn shaa allah hun :smile: which languages where you thinking?
Original post by DarkMystryXxX
Inn shaa allah hun :smile: which languages where you thinking?

Arabic, (Wouldnt it be cool whilst I was reading the Quran I knew the meaning?)

Japanese because i love em xD

And Dutch because I was born in Holland but moved when I was little so cant remember **** all :frown: Really need to learn that asap.
Original post by Abdul-Karim
man dnt kno innit, mans finna go cass business school bruv

aston tripe accred but not a target/semi for da investment banks so had to leave it out

its in brum so dem man speak weird but ukno home of missfatts so it carry clout

Original post by Makaveli_The_Don
bruv on a srs level, wots aston like?

is it a good place to study?

is it fun or dead?

is it easy to get a good job upon graduating from the business school?

sfe

Oiiii Brummie people speek guud fam.
Ak you going Aston tho or nah?
We're moving to riyadh:bawling: I'm so going to blame my dad for this. I really want to move to jeddah there's this wicked uni there but he works in riyadhhh:mad:

Sucks for you :tongue: Which uni are you referring to? I live there and have never heard of this so called amazing uni? Why does the uni matter anyways? You won't be allowed to attend it or any unis here for that matter.
Original post by Chukkeigh
Ak you going Aston tho or nah?

nah b, declin their offer.. firmed cass (city) & insured loughborough.. and got da grades for cass so i'm off der, u get me.
Original post by pbunny
Sucks for you :tongue: Which uni are you referring to? I live there and have never heard of this so called amazing uni? Why does the uni matter anyways? You won't be allowed to attend it or any unis here for that matter.

Aha dead funny. I forgot the name, saw it yesterday on the internet lol. I didn't call it amazing did I?
And why won't I be able to attend a uni lol?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Aha dead funny. I forgot the name, saw it yesterday on the internet lol. I didn't call it amazing did I?
And why won't I be able to attend a uni lol?

Posted from TSR Mobile

You can't attend a uni in Saudi unless you are a Saudi passport holder. I just assumed you're not Saudi? Was the uni called KAUST?
Original post by pbunny
You can't attend a uni in Saudi unless you are a Saudi passport holder. I just assumed you're not Saudi? Was the uni called KAUST?

And this is precisely why I don't wanna go to that country. Your life gets ruined:facepalm:
No um it was called dar al hekma or something. And I saw a page for international students. And medina uni is for everyone, know this person from newcastle who attended and he's a scholar of Islam now:tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
And this is precisely why I don't wanna go to that country. Your life gets ruined:facepalm:
No um it was called dar al hekma or something. And I saw a page for international students. And medina uni is for everyone, know this person from newcastle who attended and he's a scholar of Islam now:tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Nah, it's not. Just do A Levels/IB or whatever here and just go to university abroad. That is what all us foreigners do. Ah, i've heard of it but all I know is that it's a girls only university. Forgot about the Madina one. What I mean't was that you can't study at a public university here. So, you could attend a private uni here so long as you are accepted and are able to pay the fees (which i imagine are very expensive, EDIT: just checked, they aren't too bad).
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by pbunny
Nah, it's not. Just do A Levels/IB or whatever here and just go to university abroad. That is what all us foreigners do. Ah, i've heard of it but all I know is that it's a girls only university. Forgot about the Madina one. What I mean't was that you can't study at a public university here. So, you could attend a private uni here so long as you are accepted and are able to pay the fees (which i imagine are very expensive).

It's cool that you live in saudi though, were u born there?
I am going to do A levels:biggrin:
Ahh foreigner!! But the point for me is to study there not abroad.
I have no intention to attend a mixed university though lol, if I did I would have attended one here in the Uk.
Yeah they must be, oh wells, I'll pay whatever needs to be payed, its no better here,£9000:facepalm:

Posted from TSR Mobile
It's cool that you live in saudi though, were u born there?
I am going to do A levels:biggrin:
Ahh foreigner!! But the point for me is to study there not abroad.
I have no intention to attend a mixed university though lol, if I did I would have attended one here in the Uk.
Yeah they must be, oh wells, I'll pay whatever needs to be payed, its no better here,£9000:facepalm:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Nope, I was born in Copenhagen, Denmark but i've lived here for the majority of my life. Good luck with A Levels. I'll be doing the IB since the A level results at my previous school (the best in Jeddah) aren't the best and I don't want that to screw up my chances of getting into my dream uni.

Oh, aren't there any girl only unis in the UK? I plan on attending a uni in the US and there are quite a few girls only unis there, i'm considering applying to some of them myself since they seem nice. Checked the fees of the uni out of curiosity and they're only SR 40,000 (around 6500 pounds) which is inexpensive compared to the school fees of International schools here.
Original post by pbunny
Nope, I was born in Copenhagen, Denmark but i've lived here for the majority of my life. Good luck with A Levels. I'll be doing the IB since the A level results at my previous school (the best in Jeddah) aren't the best and I don't want that to screw up my chances of getting into my dream uni.

Oh, aren't there any girl only unis in the UK? I plan on attending a uni in the US and there are quite a few girls only unis there, i'm considering applying to some of them myself since they seem nice. Checked the fees of the uni out of curiosity and they're only SR 40,000 (around 6500 pounds) which is inexpensive compared to the school fees of International schools here.

Was it hard moving from there to here, I mean did you get depressed? I've lived here all my life and I'm way too used to the western style life. Saudi and their strict rules appear scary.
Thanks!! Oh interesting what school was that? Whats your dream uni? All the best for that then, I'm sure you'll ace them.

None that I know of and I've checked tons of them.
From Denmark to Saudi to America:eek: aye you got an exciting life girl:biggrin:
Lol thanks for checking. And indeed its not too expensive. What do you wanna major as? I believe "major" is the term they use in America not sure if you know what I mean lol.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Was it hard moving from there to here, I mean did you get depressed? I've lived here all my life and I'm way too used to the western style life. Saudi and their strict rules appear scary.
Thanks!! Oh interesting what school was that? Whats your dream uni? All the best for that then, I'm sure you'll ace them.

None that I know of and I've checked tons of them.
From Denmark to Saudi to America:eek: aye you got an exciting life girl:biggrin:
Lol thanks for checking. And indeed its not too expensive. What do you wanna major as? I believe "major" is the term they use in America not sure if you know what I mean lol.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I honestly can't remember as I was 4. You'll adjust slowly. If you move into a compound, your lifestyle won't differ much from what your used to in the UK. If you live in a compound, you'll most probably live with a lot of Europeans/Americans and can go about having a regular social life since compounds have pretty much everything (pools, halls with events, supermarkets, restaurants etc), it's not so bad. It'll only be an issue if you move into an appartment/villa that isn't located in a compound since you won't be able to access things like a gym, pool, supermarket etc with ease. I live in an apartment so it's really hard for my family but oh well. You'll be fine, honestly, but you'll need to get used to relying on your Dad for transport and staying at home a lot more.

It's JPGS (won't mention the entire name for security reasons). I've always wanted to go to Georgetown and Duke university and Inshallah i'll get in if I continue to do well in school.

My life isn't that exciting trust me. I'm Somali American and have lived in the US for a year before moving here. Moving there shouldn't be too much of a culture shock since I travel to Europe/America every summer, i'm used to the Western life style too :smile: I'm honestly not too sure but it'll probably be either maths, biology/chemistry, economics or finance/accounting. Need to decide whether i'm more interested in a science/business related career. How about you? And yes, you've used the correct terminology but it's ''major in'' not ''major as'.

P.S. the rules aren't too bad. Just wear an abaya and scarf (there are religious police in the malls that come up to you if they realise that you're muslim and force you to wear your head scarf, no joke) when your going out. Don't talk to non-mahram's in public for no apparent reason, don't get rides from non-mahrams etc. See, it's not too bad!
(edited 9 years ago)
Gyrls I gotto ask question to youz lot. Don't you miss the rain & sun in you hairrr? Wallahi that is one big thing I miss so badly afta wearing the headscarf innit. Guys, youz so lucky fam.
Original post by pbunny
I honestly can't remember as I was 4. You'll adjust slowly. If you move into a compound, your lifestyle won't differ much from what your used to in the UK. If you live in a compound, you'll most probably live with a lot of Europeans/Americans and can go about having a regular social life since compounds have pretty much everything (pools, halls with events, supermarkets, restaurants etc), it's not so bad. It'll only be an issue if you move into an appartment/villa that isn't located in a compound since you won't be able to access things like a gym, pool, supermarket etc with ease. I live in an apartment so it's really hard for my family but oh well. You'll be fine, honestly, but you'll need to get used to relying on your Dad for transport and staying at home a lot more.

It's JPGS (won't mention the entire name for security reasons). I've always wanted to go to Georgetown and Duke university and Inshallah i'll get in if I continue to do well in school.

My life isn't that exciting trust me. I'm Somali American and have lived in the US for a year before moving here. Moving there shouldn't be too much of a culture shock since I travel to Europe/America every summer, i'm used to the Western life style too :smile: I'm honestly not too sure but it'll probably be either maths, biology/chemistry, economics or finance/accounting. Need to decide whether i'm more interested in a science/business related career. How about you? And yes, you've used the correct terminology but it's ''major in'' not ''major as'.

P.S. the rules aren't too bad. Just wear an abaya and scarf (there are religious police in the malls that come up to you if they realise that you're muslim and force you to wear your head scarf, no joke) when your going out. Don't talk to non-mahram's in public for no apparent reason, don't get rides from non-mahrams etc. See, it's not too bad!

Ahh thanks for all this info. Glad I met u here lool:biggrin:
Oh okay so its not too bad then. Thanks, I'll try and get into this mindset from now.

Right no prob. Alright, okay insha'Allah you'll get in no prob.

Wow you've travelled a lot then. That's still pretty cool lol, travelling is an awesome thing.
Lol, ahh yes us westernish girls.
Wow you have some awesome subs. Pretty tough but still awesome:biggrin: All the best lol.
I love love English, I still have no idea what I want to do. I speak both English and French fluently so I'm thinking of studying languages properly. We'll see I guess. I wanna c what saudi has to offer:redface: I'm also very interested in Islamic studies and it would be a dream of mine to become a scholar of Islam so I really am stuck in a complex maze at the moment lol. Just going with the flow for now.

Well I already wear an abaya plus scarf here lol so no biggy. I know they're crazy. And women can't drive etc... Ohhhhh no talking to boys:frown: Lol joking I'm used to that as well. Staying at home a lot isnt much of a problem as well as I'm home educated so not exposed to the outside world too much:biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending