The Student Room Group

Barts and The London medicine applicants 2014

Scroll to see replies

Original post by DrumChops
Thanks. No I agree with you 100% :smile: It's just that I'm getting a bit ahead of myself, I know they'd probably tell us this at some point after we commence anyway, so I thought why not find out; completely out of curiousity.

Ok, just wondered. The 'grading' is based on % in the year with the top 10% getting distinction and the to 25% getting merit. Not really that important, though. What matters eventually is your actual score/ranking, once you get to applying to deaneries in the foundation programme. Barts has three ICAs throughout the first year, then the end of year exams. There's one OSCE exam at the end of the year. The ICAs and end of year exams are split into MCQs, short answers (based on the PBLs), and a spotter based on anatomy/histology. Pass mark is 50%, and you have to pass everything (one resit for each paper allowed).

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by DrumChops
Can any Barts medic enlighten me as to the distribution of exams/OSCEs over the first year and the banding that determines whether you are awarded distinction, merit etc. at the end of the year... Is it by ranking or by % achieved along the course of the year or something along those lines? Thanks.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I honestly wouldn't worry too much about this before even starting - there are way too many exams to sit over the next 5/6 years and so much fun to have before having to sit them!

But in a nutshell (this will be explained to you in depth once you start in your intro/freshers week, and you'll probably forget about it because you'll be hanging from the previous nights antics), you have 5 "papers" as follows:
Paper A - In Course Assessments aka ICAs (+PBL write ups/attendance & Med Soc grades etc. if in preclinical years, OR passes in clinical rotations from Year 3 onwards)
Paper B - End of year written exam (x2 written exams in preclin - one multiple choice paper (EMQs and SBAs) and one short answer (SAQ) exam, and x1 written exam in clinical years usually multiple choice (EMQs and SBAs) though there are talks of changing this for Year 4)
Paper C - End of year data Interpretation exam (computer based exam mainly anatomy/histology focussed in preclin, more clinical scenarios in Years 3 and 4. None in final year - thankfully. We have a national prescribing exam instead).
Paper D - End of year OSCE exam (x1 in preclin, x2 in Years 3 and 4, x3 in final year)
Paper E - SSCs (x3 in Years 1, 2, and 3. 8000 word dissertation in Year 4. Year 5 SSCs can be a like a mini elective if you want or can be in any placement you want wherever really).

For FPAS ranking, using the current system, it's your average over the end of year exams i.e. Papers B, C and D over the first 4 years. Each year is weighted equally.

For merits/distinctions, using the current system, its your average over all 5 papers that places you in the top 10% of the year for a distinction and the following 15% of the year for a merit.

But seriously, I really wouldn't worry too much about this now. Like seriously. I actually mean that. Things WILL FLUCTUATE over the years you are here - people shine in different parts of the course. That, and things really could change by the time you guys get to final year - they seem to change things all the time!

Focus on freshers! Freshers is SUCH a memorable time of your life and you will never have that new and exciting feeling EVER again! Your first freshers is always the best one as everything is so new! That should be your priority now!
Today I signed up for Dawson hall at Charterhouse Square!

Is anyone else here going to stay there?
Original post by kmlee0926
Today I signed up for Dawson hall at Charterhouse Square!

Is anyone else here going to stay there?

Yes! Be sure to join the facebook group. https://www.facebook.com/groups/663758310360335/
Reply 3804
Offered accommodation: 1 double bedroom with separate bathroom (5 mins walk from royal london hospital) gbp 800 per month (inclusive of bills and internet)

Hi ppl,

I just received a later offer to study graduate medicine at imperial college london 2 weeks ago ~ super excited about this! I just resigned from my job last week and have less than 5 weeks to sort out the logistics before starting term.
One of my "to do" list is to find a flat mate, i owe a 2 bed 2 bath flat near aldgate east/whitechapel,5 mins walk from royal london hospital (originally i was hoping that i would get into st barts!). I am looking for a flatemate.
Requirements: graduate student (male or female) non smoker & the usual (friendly, tidy, independent & respectful of others privacy)

About myself: female, graduate entry medicine at imperial 2014

Please let me know if you are interested, would really appreciate if you could point me to any forum where i could post this advert.
Thanks.
Hi all,

Is anyone else on the extended waiting list and worried about accom?
anyone pre-enrolled yet? it doesnt let me on the website
Original post by jaishiva
anyone pre-enrolled yet? it doesnt let me on the website

You should have got an email with a user and password to log in to mysis.qmul.ac.uk . On that site, you just click enrolment and it should let you do the pre enrolment stuff and make an appointment if you want to do an early enrolment.
Original post by ConnellM
I applied for Mile End because of the ensuites & the diversity of subjects I'd be able to interact with, but ended up with Floyer House (Whitechapel) and am pretty happy with it - ultimately it's only for a year and both halls are only half an hour away, so whichever one you pick, it probably won't make too much of a difference!
Being at Whitechapel will (hopefully!) mean getting away with getting out of bed later too! :wink:

For all those who haven't found it yet, here is the reading list : http://www.smd.qmul.ac.uk/undergraduate/courses/induction/111400.pdf

I only bought the first 2 books, and there is an error: you should buy the SEVENTH edition of the first book, not the SIXTH (although ultimately it doesn't matter too much - I checked this with Bart's!)

Additionally, you may find it cheaper to get these books off of Amazon - the first two books in the bundle cost £75 from their recommended retailer, but I was able to get the books from Amazon for £43 :smile:

Would you be able to provide me with a link on Amazon for those books you got.
Thanks
Hello,
Have any of you guys received any vaccinations in preparation for going to study at Barts?
Hello, just have my Ukcat 670:frown: band 2, My GCSE 8 A* 3 A, As AAAA and prodict garde is A*A*A, Study medicine in the barts is my dream!

Please advise that do I have chance to interview for 2015?

I would be grateful to hear any advise from 2013 and 2014 the barts medicine students, many thanks.!:smile:
Original post by Jane1234
Hello, just have my Ukcat 670:frown: band 2, My GCSE 8 A* 3 A, As AAAA and prodict garde is A*A*A, Study medicine in the barts is my dream!

Please advise that do I have chance to interview for 2015?

I would be grateful to hear any advise from 2013 and 2014 the barts medicine students, many thanks.!:smile:

Yes, you still have a chance.
Hi guys, I'll possibly be applying to Barts for 2015 entry.

My UCAS tariff is 650 (4 A star predictions, an A star prediction for EPQ and Additional Maths FSMQ), but I think my UKCAT is a bit on the low side at 690, band 1.

I've looked at the admission statistics for 2014 entry, and a mid-range example stated was 640 UCAS tariff, and 710 for the UKCAT, which I guess is pretty similar to mine. I'm not sure, but I'd like to think that there has been a UKCAT deflation this year (just for solace), but also because last years mean was about 2650, and this year, it's about 2550 (although this could change, since it's only valid for tests taken before 8th August).

In all honesty, do you guys think I'll have a chance of getting an interview at Barts?

(10 A stars for GCSEs, but I don't think that's very relevant for Barts).
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by TazzyBoo
Hi guys, I'll possibly be applying to Barts for 2015 entry.

My UCAS tariff is 650 (4 A star predictions, an A star prediction for EPQ and Additional Maths FSMQ), but I think my UKCAT is a bit on the low side at 690, band 1.

I've looked at the admission statistics for 2014 entry, and a mid-range example stated was 640 UCAS tariff, and 710 for the UKCAT, which I guess is pretty similar to mine. I'm not sure, but I'd like to think that there has been a UKCAT deflation this year (just for solace), but also because last years mean was about 2650, and this year, it's about 2550 (although this could change, since it's only valid for tests taken before 8th August).

In all honesty, do you guys think I'll have a chance of getting an interview at Barts?

(10 A stars for GCSEs, but I don't think that's very relevant for Barts).

Hi,

Where to find the the admission statistics for 2014 entry?

Thanks
I worked out that I got 300 UCAS points for my AAAA and D3 in Cambridge Pre-U, I dont understand how people are getting 650+ ucas points??? am i missing something?
Original post by Jane1234
Hi,

Where to find the the admission statistics for 2014 entry?

Thanks

Hi there!

Just follow this link, click on "selection criteria", and at the top, just click "Admissions data: the 2014 admissions cycle". A PDF file should open up.

http://www.smd.qmul.ac.uk/undergraduate/courses/medicine/A100/index.html

Hope this helps!
Original post by skyakdu
I know someone with practically identical stats who got an offer for 2014 entry so I think you'll be fine

Posted from TSR Mobile

Lol Akash could you stop stalking me please!
Original post by Jaska
I worked out that I got 300 UCAS points for my AAAA and D3 in Cambridge Pre-U, I dont understand how people are getting 650+ ucas points??? am i missing something?

Hi, I think you might be calculating your tariff in terms of your achieved qualifications. Barts look at your predicted A level grades, and determine your UCAS tariff from that.

For example, if you got 4 As for your AS levels, and have taken on 3 A levels with 3 A star predictions, your tariff would be 140 + 140 + 140 + 60 = 480. Then, you add on any other points from other "tariffable" qualifications.

Hope this helps!
Original post by skyakdu
Erm who are you

Posted from TSR Mobile

Erm SHADDAP. AkDu. I am your worst nightmare.
Original post by TazzyBoo
Hi, I think you might be calculating your tariff in terms of your achieved qualifications. Barts look at your predicted A level grades, and determine your UCAS tariff from that.

For example, if you got 4 As for your AS levels, and have taken on 3 A levels with 3 A star predictions, your tariff would be 140 + 140 + 140 + 60 = 480. Then, you add on any other points from other "tariffable" qualifications.

Hope this helps!

wow so just having a levels is nowhere near enough if they want 750 ucas :[

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending