The Student Room Group

UCAS Reference Help?

... .
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 1
You're not taking a gap year at university. You're either taking a gap year, or at university. They're different situations, and will have different answers. However, it depends exactly how long ago this teacher taught you as to whether their reference would be accepted, and your muddled post really doesn't make anything clear.

Yes, you list all educational establishments, including universities. You don't put any predicted grades, as that's up to your referee to include.
Reply 2
Well I meant I am currently enrolled in the university lol they are holding my admission for one year so I can do charity work etc!
Reply 3
So you're not actually studying at university? I really hope you're spending this year to improve your English.

If you're holding a deferred offer that's a completely separate situation, and you can't apply through UCAS anyway.
Reply 4
I'm originally from the uk and grew up there most of my life lol my English is fine it's not that hard to understand what I'm trying to ask lol I've asked so many people and they understand so you're interpreting everything way too literally lol.

Currently holding a deferred offer but during this time, i will be applying to two other universities. If I get in them, I will cancel my admission to my current university

i know my post made it sound like I was both taking a gap year and attending university-sorry i had just woken up when I wrote it lol and was not in the right state of mind. Forgive me? But to make things clear....my admission is DEFERRED
(edited 9 years ago)
Have you already studied a year at university (i.e. are taking a year out in the middle of your degree) or just have a deferred place for next year?

Assuming the former, ask your tutor at university to write your reference. Unless you intend to return to your university to complete your degree before starting a second one at this other university, you will not have any predicted grades - they will discuss in the reference stuff like how well they thought you worked, how well you integrated into university life, how well suited they think you are for a different university, any extenuating circumstances or factors which may have influenced your decision to start again at another uni, and perhaps why you did this gap year/ what you have gained from it, etc. There is no requirement for them to submit predicted grades unless you are due to sit some exams at your current uni before you start again at the new one.

EDIT: ok, just read your latest post. In that case, you CANNOT apply to other universities while holding a deferred place elsewhere - you have already committed to the other university. It is not possible to apply via UCAS without rejecting your current offer - the system will not let you do it.

What you can do is turn down your current offer and reapply during your gap year. You should ask your tutor from sixth form to write your reference - they will probably just update the one they submitted last year. There is no need for them to submit predicted grades unless you are taking any additional exams/ retakes during your gap year.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by dragonkeeper999
Have you already studied a year at university (i.e. are taking a year out in the middle of your degree) or just have a deferred place for next year?

Assuming the former, ask your tutor at university to write your reference. Unless you intend to return to your university to complete your degree before starting a second one at this other university, you will not have any predicted grades - they will discuss in the reference stuff like how well they thought you worked, how well you integrated into university life, how well suited they think you are for a different university, any extenuating circumstances or factors which may have influenced your decision to start again at another uni, and perhaps why you did this gap year/ what you have gained from it, etc. There is no requirement for them to submit predicted grades unless you are due to sit some exams at your current uni before you start again at the new one.

EDIT: ok, just read your latest post. In that case, you CANNOT apply to other universities while holding a deferred place elsewhere - you have already committed to the other university. It is not possible to apply via UCAS without rejecting your current offer - the system will not let you do it.

What you can do is turn down your current offer and reapply during your gap year. You should ask your tutor from sixth form to write your reference - they will probably just update the one they submitted last year. There is no need for them to submit predicted grades unless you are taking any additional exams/ retakes during your gap year.

Ah no I have not studied at university at all. So I would have to get a former teacher from last year to write my reference-that is what I am having trouble with. How are they going to submit my predicted exam results when I studied in the United States? Things work differently here than they do in the uk sigh. There is no way I can submit what I think my results will be?
Reply 7
I'm also holding a place at a university in the United States, not the uk...so does the same apply...? Meaning I still am not allowed to apply?
Reply 8
Original post by Diane_xx
I'm originally from the uk and grew up there most of my life lol my English is fine it's not that hard to understand what I'm trying to ask lol I've asked so many people and they understand so you're interpreting everything way too literally lol.

Currently holding a deferred offer but during this time, i will be applying to two other universities. If I get in them, I will cancel my admission to my current university

i know my post made it sound like I was both taking a gap year and attending university-sorry i had just woken up when I wrote it lol and was not in the right state of mind. Forgive me? But to make things clear....my admission is DEFERRED

The other people know you, though. I haven't met you, and can only read what you write. Currently, you're writing nonsense that changes with every post. It doesn't matter if you're originally from the UK; your standard of written English isn't great.

If you're holding a deferred offer, you must cancel that before starting a new UCAS application. If you don't, UCAS will cancel both applications for you.
Reply 9
Original post by Juno
The other people know you, though. I haven't met you, and can only read what you write. Currently, you're writing nonsense that changes with every post. It doesn't matter if you're originally from the UK; your standard of written English isn't great.

If you're holding a deferred offer, you must cancel that before starting a new UCAS application. If you don't, UCAS will cancel both applications for you.

(edited 8 years ago)
Ah no I have not studied at university at all. So I would have to get a former teacher from last year to write my reference-that is what I am having trouble with. How are they going to submit my predicted exam results when I studied in the United States? Things work differently here than they do in the uk sigh. There is no way I can submit what I think my results will be?

So, are you currently studying in the US? You can only receive predicted grades for courses you are actually studying for - a university you haven't yet attended is not able to predict you any grades! If you mean that you are retaking A levels, then I can't see how you being in the US is going to affect your teacher's ability to predict your grades??? Can you please clarify what exactly your current situation is - are you currently studying? Have you been entered for any exams you will take BEFORE starting university next year?

I'm also holding a place at a university in the United States, not the uk...so does the same apply...? Meaning I still am not allowed to apply?

Then this is a TOTALLY different situation - since you did not apply via UCAS for your US university there should be no problem with you applying in the UK while holding a deferred place in the US.
Reply 11
Lol I know I made it sound confusing and long-trust me, my English really is not as bad as it is on here...but let's put that aside for now lol! My admission is deferred at an American university so I'm not sure if the same rules apply! (The Americans don't use UCAS)

So now after 10 posts in the thread we're getting a different story.
Reply 12
Original post by dragonkeeper999
So, are you currently studying in the US? You can only receive predicted grades for courses you are actually studying for - a university you haven't yet attended is not able to predict you any grades! If you mean that you are retaking A levels, then I can't see how you being in the US is going to affect your teacher's ability to predict your grades??? Can you please clarify what exactly your current situation is - are you currently studying? Have you been entered for any exams you will take BEFORE starting university next year?

Then this is a TOTALLY different situation - since you did not apply via UCAS for your US university there should be no problem with you applying in the UK while holding a deferred place in the US.

Ah this makes sense! Sorry for the confusion! Last thing, since I'm holding a place in the US, should I state this on my UCAS application?
Reply 13
Original post by Juno
So now after 10 posts in the thread we're getting a different story.

Okay I will make things clearer :tongue: just stop holding this against me haha!

But this is what I REALLY wanted to know:

I'm holding a place in the USA university, can I still apply to universities via UCAS?
The previous poster said yes...ok wonderful...so should I tell UCAS I'm holding a place in the USA or better off to keep it a secret?

I am going to ask my former teacher to write a reference as I am not taking any current classes at the university obviously. How will this teacher talk about my predicted exam results when I am not taking their class anymore? I have a few more exams to take...how am I supposed to show my predicted results on UCAS if my teacher cannot do it?
(edited 9 years ago)
Ah this makes sense! Sorry for the confusion! Last thing, since I'm holding a place in the US, should I state this on my UCAS application?

Don't mention your US university offer on your application - otherwise unis in the UK may think you are less interested in them.

Okay I will make things clearer :tongue: just stop holding this against me haha!

But this is what I REALLY wanted to know:

I'm holding a place in the USA university, can I still apply to universities via UCAS?
The previous poster said yes...ok wonderful...so should I tell UCAS I'm holding a place in the USA or better off to keep it a secret?

I am going to ask my former teacher to write a reference as I am not taking any current classes at the university obviously. How will this teacher talk about my predicted exam results when I am not taking their class anymore? I have a few more exams to take...how am I supposed to show my predicted results on UCAS if my teacher cannot do it?

Just ask your teacher to predict you grades - even if you are not taking their class any more they will have a rough guide of how well you could expect to do in your retake exams this year (e.g. predict you a grade or two higher). You could give them a past paper to look at if they want to judge how well you are doing - however I'm sure most teachers are very busy with their other students so wouldn't want to be marking extra tests for you (although you could mark it yourself using the markscheme and offer that to them if they will accept it).
You cannot enter your predicted exam results yourself - there just isn't a box for it on your UCAS form.
Reply 15
. .
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply