The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

LSE entry 2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jayjay531
I want to apply to LSE for economics,but want to make sure it isn't a wasted application
At GCSE I got 9A*'s, 3A's and a C in Astronomy
At A-level I got AAAB
87.8 in Maths (C1-93, C2-96, S1-74)
90.3 in Biology
79 in Chemistry (Was one away from an A, but hopefully a remark is kind to me)
93.5 in Economics
- The average of my 3 best subjects would be 90.5
I'm also head boy at my school xD
My school didn't offer further maths last year, but this year they are, and I intend on picking up AS further maths
I've been to the Eton, UNIQ (Oxford), Cambridge, and LSE Summer Schools
The secondary school I went to and the sixth form I currently go to are considered 'deprived' and I am also an ethnic minority.

In light of this information, Is it worth applying to LSE for economics ?
I really need some help and advice

Your gcses are great but from what I've heard for economics lse strongly prefers further maths, and if you make it past the first round of selection they will ask for your maths module scores

Posted from TSR Mobile
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
I'd love to study LSE's new PPE course. I got AAAAA at AS and am carrying all of them on... the trouble with unis as good as LSE is that everybody has these grades, and I'm not sure if I've got anything good to differentiate myself with :-/
Original post by the1akshay
I'd love to study LSE's new PPE course. I got AAAAA at AS and am carrying all of them on... the trouble with unis as good as LSE is that everybody has these grades, and I'm not sure if I've got anything good to differentiate myself with :-/

Those are impresive AS grades so you automatically stand a reasonable chance with a good personal statement. You are right that everyone will have these grades, so make sure your PS is perfect/the best it can be.

Also, I definitely would not recommend doing 5 A2s, it is unheard of and the workload is bound to reduce your grades. If I were you I would just drop one!
Reply 63
Hi, I want to apply to LSE for Economics with the following AS grades
Maths A
Econ A
Geography A
ICT A
Physics C

The problem is I also took A2 maths in Y12 and got an A, obviously LSE require A*, will be retaking next summer and will be expecting to get an A*, but have heard LSE are much less likely to accept people retaking, is that true or will it not make much of a difference. Will also be taking Further Maths AS this year
Do I have a chance in the Government degree which requires AAA?

7A*s and 5As at GCSE, and underperformance at AS level with BBBC, but a prediction of AAA?
Reply 65
Hi :smile:
I'm applying for International Relations and History.
GCSEs: 11 A* and 2 A
AS: AAAAB

Message me if you're applying to the same course!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by michaeljackson97
Do I have a chance in the Government degree which requires AAA?

7A*s and 5As at GCSE, and underperformance at AS level with BBBC, but a prediction of AAA?

I'm gonna be honest, probably not. In 2012, there were 234 applicants and only 26 people got a place. It has only got more competitive since then.

There will be many applicants with all A's at AS level who still get rejected.
But you can try, it's only 1 out of 5 options!
Original post by groovyd97
I'm gonna be honest, probably not. In 2012, there were 234 applicants and only 26 people got a place. It has only got more competitive since then.

There will be many applicants with all A's at AS level who still get rejected.
But you can try, it's only 1 out of 5 options!

Ah Jesus, I feel like the biggest failure.
Hi I haven't got the best GCSE grades, i received 7 A's and 4 B's, but i worked really hard in Year 12 to have a chance at getting into Russell group unis. I received 4 A's at AS in Maths, Further Maths, Economics and Physics. I have dropped Physics and want to apply to LSE for Mathematics and Economics. Will I stand a chance applying to LSE or am I wasting one of my choices. I will do whatever it takes to get 3A*s but i just want to know will my GCSE grades hold me back when applying.

Thank You :biggrin:
Anyone have any opinion or advice toward a Canadian student interested in applying for the economics program at LSE?
I meet/exceed the Canadian entry requirements and I have pretty strong EC's.
Is it worth applying?
Original post by Harsha4674
Hi I haven't got the best GCSE grades, i received 7 A's and 4 B's, but i worked really hard in Year 12 to have a chance at getting into Russell group unis. I received 4 A's at AS in Maths, Further Maths, Economics and Physics. I have dropped Physics and want to apply to LSE for Mathematics and Economics. Will I stand a chance applying to LSE or am I wasting one of my choices. I will do whatever it takes to get 3A*s but i just want to know will my GCSE grades hold me back when applying.

Thank You :biggrin:

If your AS marks are high enough to show you are likely to achieve your predicted A2 A* grades then your GCSE grades have less influence on Admissions Tutors decisions. Bear in mind they hv different weightings for different criteria.
Original post by GoonMcFly
Anyone have any opinion or advice toward a Canadian student interested in applying for the economics program at LSE?
I meet/exceed the Canadian entry requirements and I have pretty strong EC's.
Is it worth applying?

Why not if you at least meet the criteria. LSE is one of the few UK universities with true international prestige and reputation. Nothing to lose and all to gain. However bear in mind the different non campus atmosphere. Come with eyes wide open.
Original post by kurofune
I'm applying for Economic History. Is it a relatively small course? (I'm an international student and I haven't been able to find ANYONE who is either going to apply for it or is currently studying it.)

you started on your personal statement yet? I've no idea what to write tbh. Where else did you apply?
Reply 73
I want to apply for economics with the following grades;
GCSEs: 10 A*s 2As
AS: AAAB (95% average for top 3)
Predictions: A*A*A*A

Does anyone think I should apply?
I am thinking of applying for International Relations, my gcse graces were 11 As and 2 Bs.
My AS grades were
History - A (97%)
Geography - A (94.5%)
Human Biology - A (83%)
English Lit. - B (75%)

I have dropped English Lit. and am now predicted A* A* A. Is it worth applying?

Also on my ucas application, is it worth including my module results? Thanks!
Original post by buyersremorse
you started on your personal statement yet? I've no idea what to write tbh. Where else did you apply?

I'm actually done. Only thing I got left is spellcheck. I'm also applying to Oxford, UCL, Edinburgh, and KCL.
Reply 76
How competitive is the Law course?

I have AAAA in Econ, English Lit., History and Theology.

I received 100 UMS average for History which is being mentioned in my History teacher's reference.

I have quite mediocre GCSEs due to MC which is to mentioned in my Tutor's reference.

I've been commended on my P.S. as 'sophisticated'

- I have also completed an EPQ on Jurisprudence, I'm a deputy head, got legal experience

What do you guys think?

Edit* A*A*A*A predictions.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by 105263
How competitive is the Law course?

I have AAAA in Econ, English Lit., History and Theology.

I received 100 UMS average for History which is being mentioned in my History teacher's reference.

I have quite mediocre GCSEs due to MC which is to mentioned in my Tutor's reference.

I've been commended on my P.S. as 'sophisticated'

- I have also completed an EPQ on Jurisprudence, I'm a deputy head, got legal experience

What do you guys think?

Edit* A*A*A*A predictions.

from the sounds of it, you stand a good chance absolutely anywhere!
Reply 78
Original post by groovyd97
from the sounds of it, you stand a good chance absolutely anywhere!

Thanks a lot!

Where are you thinking of applying to?
Is it just maths ums that they ask for when applying to lse econ? or just all ums scores?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending