The Student Room Group

Jack the ripper- Identity apparently solved after 126 years

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2746321/Jack-Ripper-unmasked-How-amateur-sleuth-used-DNA-breakthrough-identify-Britains-notorious-criminal-126-years-string-terrible-murders.html

Jack the ripper has apparently been unmasked as polish born Aaron Kosminski his DNA evidence was found on one of his victims shawls that she wore while she was murdered, apparently the murders stopped when Kosminski was incarcerated in a Mental Asylum.

Interesting,
Do you think it's true?
I'm kinda sad, if it's been solved I've always loved reading theories etc about it.

Scroll to see replies

This proves nothing
Daily mail are the only ones reporting it, definitely rubbish :tongue:
Reply 3
It's brilliant research. Fits all the known facts - including the verifiable fact that the group of detectives hunting JtR were disbanded the day after this guy was admitted to the asylum and no further work was done by the Met. The Asst Comm at the time identified him as their main suspect. This really is case closed.
According to the Daily Fail. I'll believe it when an actual news provider says it. I trust zero articles from that shower of ****e.
The only thing the Daily Mail is good for is when you're running low on xenophobia and need to read some articles about ethnic "outrages" to keep your heart from slowly grinding to a halt from the monotony of English living.
Original post by SnoochToTheBooch
According to the Daily Fail. I'll believe it when an actual news provider says it. I trust zero articles from that shower of ****e.

There are many news organisations starting to run this

The only new part to this is the DNA - he has always been a suspect - this can be seen in many sources
This is going to be the end of a whole industry.
Reply 8
Looks like someone might have been given an 'underhand gift' by a certain political party...
Multicultural enrichment!
Original post by vickidc18
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2746321/Jack-Ripper-unmasked-How-amateur-sleuth-used-DNA-breakthrough-identify-Britains-notorious-criminal-126-years-string-terrible-murders.html

Jack the ripper has apparently been unmasked as polish born Aaron Kosminski his DNA evidence was found on one of his victims shawls that she wore while she was murdered, apparently the murders stopped when Kosminski was incarcerated in a Mental Asylum.

Interesting,
Do you think it's true?
I'm kinda sad, if it's been solved I've always loved reading theories etc about it.

The problem is that each time there is a new discovery it appears convincing until the sceptics get to work.

The key issues are:

1 Was there a Jack the Ripper or were a number of unrelated killings linked? One has to remember that the current five victims are a construct of 20th century researchers. 'If you had asked anyone in Whitechapel at the time they would have attributed many more, since discredited cases, to the Ripper's death toll. Accordingly this man may have murdered Eddowes without being Jack.

2 What is the opportunity for cross-contamination? This shawl has spent many years in Scotland Yard's Black Museum with many other Ripper artefacts.

3 What are the chances that Kosminski was a client and not a killer? Kosminski is not a name out of the blue. There were reasons that he was a suspect in the first place.

4 There are already confusions between Kosminski and other Polish Jewish suspects.

5 In an era when it was very easy to lock up madmen, Kosminski was released from a workhouse infirmary only a couple of years after the murders only to be re-detained some months later; which seems inconsistent with an official belief as to his responsibility.
Reply 11
She was a prostitute, health records say he used to masturbate quite often, so it's fair to say he could have just been one of her clients.

Proves nothing. Probably was the mortuary guy, can't remember his name, the FBI profiler does though.
Original post by nulli tertius
The problem is that each time there is a new discovery it appears convincing until the sceptics get to work.

The key issues are:

1 Was there a Jack the Ripper or were a number of unrelated killings linked? One has to remember that the current five victims are a construct of 20th century researchers. 'If you had asked anyone in Whitechapel at the time they would have attributed many more, since discredited cases, to the Ripper's death toll. Accordingly this man may have murdered Eddowes without being Jack.

2 What is the opportunity for cross-contamination? This shawl has spent many years in Scotland Yard's Black Museum with many other Ripper artefacts.

3 What are the chances that Kosminski was a client and not a killer? Kosminski is not a name out of the blue. There were reasons that he was a suspect in the first place.

4 There are already confusions between Kosminski and other Polish Jewish suspects.

5 In an era when it was very easy to lock up madmen, Kosminski was released from a workhouse infirmary only a couple of years after the murders only to be re-detained some months later; which seems inconsistent with an official belief as to his responsibility.

1. Yes, and those stopped in 1891 when this guy was incarcerated. Also, the chances of this guy being the murderer of Catherine Eddowes and not being the ripper are very very small. There were all the hallmarks of the ripper's MO in this murder.

2. That is a possibility but apparently there were seaman staines on this shawl so you have to ask how that could be cross-contaminated.

3. Another possiblity but unlikely. There were a lot of prositutes at the time. It would be a major coincidence seeing as this guy was a prime suspect that he was under police surveillance at one time.

4. Yes, a lot of that confusion comes from people writing about the case 20 years later and getting a few facts mixed up.

5. The police did not have strong enough evidence to convict the guy and there were also some worries about stirring up anti-semitism which was much more rampant back then as well, see rochdale grooming scandal.
(edited 9 years ago)
Kinda surprised the Daily Mail didn't try to pin it on a muslim lol. Interesting read nonetheless

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14
Original post by vickidc18

Interesting,
Do you think it's true?

I want to believe it but it's according to the DM...not the most trustworthy source! I'll believe it when BBC etc report it
Reply 15
Original post by perfectsymbology
1. Yes, and those stopped in 1891 when this guy was incarcerated. Also, the chances of this guy being the murderer of Catherine Eddowes and not being the ripper are very very small. There were all the hallmarks of the ripper's MO in this murder.

2. That is a possibility but apparently there were seaman staines on this shawl so you have to ask how that could be cross-contaminated.

3. Another possiblity but unlikely. There were a lot of prositutes at the time. It would be a major coincidence seeing as this guy was a prime suspect that he was under police surveillance at one time.

4. Yes, a lot of that confusion comes from people writing about the case 20 years later and getting a few facts mixed up.

5. Not sure what you mean by this?

They were a couple afterwards, but the ritual would have evolved anyway, just like he would have attacked women before he actually became a murderer.

There's no way that anybody is going to be sure who it was so there's not much point in arguing about it.

5. The police did not have strong enough evidence to convict the guy and there were also some worries about stirring up anti-semitism which was much more rampant back then as well, see rochdale grooming scandal.

I am only commenting on your last point.

I am not talking about convicting this man. He was undoubtedly mentally ill. It was extra-ordinarily easy to get people locked up in an asylum then. Yet he was released a little while after being detained in July 1890. Doesn't sound like someone you suspect to be an insane killer.

My point is that all new theories seem convincing until the sceptics get to work.

Read this thread by the Ripperologists. Not a lot of support there.

http://forum.casebook.org/showthread.php?t=8296
Those Poles. Coming here, killing our hookers.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 18
Original post by thunder_chunky
Those Poles. Coming here, killing our hookers.

Yup - doing the jobs our serial killers don't want to do. :biggrin:

Given the ripper attacks were investigated on the premise that they were non-sexual, I'd say that her being a prostitute he visited is more likely than him killing her and whacking one out over her body.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending