The Student Room Group

Doctor Who - Discussion Thread III (no untagged future spoilers)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Hype en Ecosse
I really enjoyed the cock measuring contest. Not something we would have gotten with previous incarnations of the doctor and these sorts of confrontation help expand the character. Fortunately, it's been done now, so they won't have to write it into the script again! Would just be tedious a second time round.

I really hope you're being sarcastic but too sleepy to know...
Original post by greeneyedgirl
I really hope you're being sarcastic but too sleepy to know...

No sarcasm. It was fun to watch two entirely narcissistic, egomaniacal characters go at each other. :tongue:
No sarcasm. It was fun to watch two entirely narcissistic, egomaniacal characters go at each other. :tongue:

Except they've already done it before on the show...think 10 and 11 fighting together etc.
Yeah could have been a much better episode although I did enjoy all the references and even similar costumes to Disney's Robin Hood. Also cba with Doctor and Robin Hood arguing like little boys, enough "I've got a bigger dick" already :rolleyes:

that would be the cringey/cliche stuff I mentioned aye, just awful, ruins the plot & is really pointless, the whole them being surprised they took Clara to interrogate first thing as well was just beyond naff, wish they wouldn't do stuff like that, takes away from otherwise good episodes when they do.
Except they've already done it before on the show...think 10 and 11 fighting together etc.

Nah, I see the two encounters entirely differently. Capaldi's encounter struck me like I was watching PG Malcolm Tucker; felt Ten and Eleven was more like two bros trying to outdo each other.
Just watched it. I like it actually, but I thought they missed a trick. They play with the idea that Robin is an illusion. I thought it would have been interesting for it to transpire that he is indeed made-up (a robot or something else) but believes he's real. He's only existed for only around 12 months but has a whole lifetime of memories. I think it would be interesting to see him come to terms with that. In the end, he would save the day and the doctor would allow him to live on, trying to live up to the legend.
Loved tonight's episode. Then again, I'm bias as Nottingham is the best place :mmm:

But loved the humour in it. Well written :h:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by paddyman4
Just watched it. I like it actually, but I thought they missed a trick. They play with the idea that Robin is an illusion. I thought it would have been interesting for it to transpire that he is indeed made-up (a robot or something else) but believes he's real. He's only existed for only around 12 months but has a whole lifetime of memories. I think it would be interesting to see him come to terms with that. In the end, he would save the day and the doctor would allow him to live on, trying to live up to the legend.

They sort of already did that when David Morrisey played The Doctor/Jackson Lake.
Felt like I was watching Sarah Jane Adventures. I really don't know why I watch this crap. I guess it's because if Doctor Who ever becomes as good as series 1-4 I don't want to miss it, so I carry on watching in hope
I thought the episode was reasonably well done. I enjoyed a lot of the set-pieces and a lot of the humour. The only part I was less keen on was the robots themselves. Slow-moving shooting laser beams androids just felt very generic. Overall a bit scooby doo but still enjoyable.

I love the Madame de Pompadour quote "One may tolerate a world of demons for the sake of an angel."

Watching some of the last series have felt like this - hoping for that one good episode in among. However, so far I would say this up on the last few series.
Original post by getfunky!
:getmecoat: read through the thread, the usual split opinions.

I've just felt disappointed with the show during most of series 7 and the first two episodes of series 8. Capaldi seemed funnier and spent less time wondering whether he is good/bad.

We didn't see Missy this episode - maybe she's the Rani(?), she has a similar look to the old character, and was a Time Lord villain.. now that Gallifrey has returned, maybe its villains are back as well:iiam:

If I remember rightly, Moffat said he wouldn't bring the Rani back, so I doubt it.

Original post by bubble999
Loved tonight's episode. Then again, I'm bias as Nottingham is the best place :mmm:

But loved the humour in it. Well written :h:

Posted from TSR Mobile

:hand: Leicester is superior, besides, robin hood was from Sheffield.

Anyway, I quite enjoyed that - the battle of the egos was quite funny, although I don't understand why they'd give away a gold arrow when they need the gold to get out of orbit - sure they wanted a trap to lure out Robin, but why use gold when they've got all sorts of gems that they don't want?

Anyway, next weeks looks interesting - although it didn't look particularly scary tbh.
I liked the episode a lot more than I thought I would! It wasn't a great episode but much better than the premiere - but I feel this season there is a lot more emphasis on clara than the doctor. I thought the ego competition with robin was a tad annoying and honestly I would have thought the doctor would have been taken for interrogation than clara. Robots and the promise land have seen like a theme this season and I wonder if this links to the finale this season with the cybermen and missy? Next week episode looks interesting and a bit scary or so I hope. The last actually scary episode was blink and to have another one like that would be incredible!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Jean-Luc Picard
that would be the cringey/cliche stuff I mentioned aye, just awful, ruins the plot & is really pointless, the whole them being surprised they took Clara to interrogate first thing as well was just beyond naff, wish they wouldn't do stuff like that, takes away from otherwise good episodes when they do.

Yeah :yep:

Nah, I see the two encounters entirely differently. Capaldi's encounter struck me like I was watching PG Malcolm Tucker; felt Ten and Eleven was more like two bros trying to outdo each other.

Seems like it's split opinions on it :yep:

Also is anyone else noticing that episodes so far seem to have some kind of link to fires of pompeii (which would explain why he's got that face)
Original post by AlphaNick
i miss the eccleston days... these episodes now suck

Yh his episodes were amazing and just the best! Tennant and matts seasons with amy and rory were also good! I genuinely find clara to be the most annoying companion in the show.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I've enjoyed the first 2 episodes, but last night's one was weak
Reply 3715
Also is anyone else noticing that episodes so far seem to have some kind of link to fires of pompeii (which would explain why he's got that face)

No...? :teeth:

I did notice that this was kinda similar to the The Lodger - in terms of a spaceship hiding itself as part of a house (or castle, in this case) whilst trying to fix itself so it could fly away.
they should seriously think about rebooting dr who from the end of time part 1 and end it so that david tennant doesn't die, smith and capaldi are so useless in comparison
I really enjoyed it, quite funny and this Doctor reminds me a bit of Jon Pertwee, a bit of an action man (Jon Pertwee is my favourite)

BUT, I thought the end was rubbish
Original post by Aula
No...? :teeth:

I did notice that this was kinda similar to the The Lodger - in terms of a spaceship hiding itself as part of a house (or castle, in this case) whilst trying to fix itself so it could fly away.

This episode rebuilding parts so spaceship could fly with complicated grid like patterns and monsters that incinerate you :yep:

And as Moffat has said http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2013-09-30/doctor-who-steven-moffat-has-an-explanation-for-peter-capaldis-earlier-appearances I imagine that could be an arch for this season.
Original post by Aula

I noticed this too, and actually I'm getting annoyed at it. The plot about a spaceship being disguised as something else has been used too many times now :erm: Happened in Deep Breath as well :sigh:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending