The Student Room Group

Geography or Economics degree?

So.. it's the time where I need to start deciding between doing economics or geography at uni.

I've just done my AS' as got AAAAA + A EPQ (Geo, Phys, Econ, Maths and FM) and I'm doing 4 A2s in maths, FM, geo and econ - I'm predicted straight A*s (but I think my teachers are being too ambitious).

Anyway, I have a real passion for both subjects - I love Geo and Economics as much as each other and I also really like how they look at uni.

Should I do econ just for the better job prospects?

Original post by jake4198
So.. it's the time where I need to start deciding between doing economics or geography at uni.

I've just done my AS' as got AAAAA + A EPQ (Geo, Phys, Econ, Maths and FM) and I'm doing 4 A2s in maths, FM, geo and econ - I'm predicted straight A*s (but I think my teachers are being too ambitious).

Anyway, I have a real passion for both subjects - I love Geo and Economics as much as each other and I also really like how they look at uni.

Should I do econ just for the better job prospects?

Your subject choices are very mathematical which would lean more towards an Economics degree - but you should study whatever you think you will enjoy more. You're obviously extremely intelligent and will probably do very well whichever path you choose. Both subjects have decent job prospects - however, if the career options that Economics will give you seem more appealing, then it may be the better choice.
Original post by LeFailFish
Your subject choices are very mathematical which would lean more towards an Economics degree - but you should study whatever you think you will enjoy more. You're obviously extremely intelligent and will probably do very well whichever path you choose. Both subjects have decent job prospects - however, if the career options that Economics will give you seem more appealing, then it may be the better choice.

Thanks for the advice. I think I am leaning towards economics for the job prospects, but I find the geo degree more appealing. It's quite frustrating.
Geo at Oxbridge > Econ at Notts, as far as job prospects go, if you get what I mean.
Original post by jake4198
Thanks for the advice. I think I am leaning towards economics for the job prospects, but I find the geo degree more appealing. It's quite frustrating.

If you find the Geography degree more appealing, then go for it! There are still plenty of jobs available with Geography, and if it interests you more then you will enjoy those jobs more. It's important to really enjoy what you do. :smile:
Reply 5
I read somewhere that Geography is one of the degrees that is least likely to land you a job, so I'd say go for Economics. Congrats on the great results by the way.
Two useful articles to read :
* Economics - http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Economics_Degree
* Geography - http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/geography_Degree

There is a subject called Development Studies or International Development that deals with both Human Geography and aspects of Economics, specifically to do with the 'developing world'. This might be worth looking at, especially the courses at UEA : https://www.uea.ac.uk/international-development/undergraduate-degrees, since they have a course called specifically 'International Deelopment and Economics' with an added plus of an overseas work placement in a relevant country.
Original post by Animaz
I read somewhere that Geography is one of the degrees that is least likely to land you a job.

I don't know where you got this from, but nothing could be further from the truth. You might like to read this : http://www.rgs.org/OurWork/Study+Geography/Careers/Careers+with+geography.htm

Geography is a versatile subject that turns out graduates with global awareness, and practical skills to do with data. text and analysis which employers value. It may not have as many 'obvious' career paths as Economics but since most Humanities/Social Science graduates end up in jobs that have nothing to do with their actual degree subject, this actually makes it far more useful in terms of future choices/options.

Quick Reply

Latest